How do you put your handbrake on? - lordwoody
OK, this may sound insignificant, but both my daughters have learnt to drive recently and both insist that, when applying the handbrake, you should push in the release button at the end so it pulls up silently (This is what their instructor has told them) My wife and I both pull on the handbrake without doing this so you can hear the sound of the ratchet (this causes unnecessary wear apparently) What is the right way to do it?
How do you put your handbrake on? - Old Navy
Quietly, the same as last time this was discussed. Forum search?

Edited by Old Navy on 03/11/2009 at 07:52

"the same as last time this was discussed"
Sorry, it's early, I didn't think. I've never seen a topic discussed more than once on here, mine must be the first ever. >snark
How do you put your handbrake on? - L'escargot
I press in the release button because (a) the clicking of the ratchet annoys me and (b) it reduces wear on the ratchet. I wasn't taught (in 1956 !) to do this. It was my own decision to adopt this method.

Edited by L'escargot on 03/11/2009 at 07:55

How do you put your handbrake on? - Altea Ego
I was taught to do it quietly. I do it both ways, quitely or nosily depending on how I feel.
How do you put your handbrake on? - GroovyMucker
Quietly. Seemed to make sense - can't remember being taught to do it but if it's making a noise then it's causing unnecessary contact with the ratchet (the purpose of which is obvious). The wear will be infinitesimal, perhaps, but if it's unnecessary then why do it?

Unless I'm in a bad mood.
How do you put your handbrake on? - andyp
30 years ago I was taught "button in" and have always applied it this way. However the handbooks for both our new Corsa and the Kia Cee'd state to apply the handbrake without pressing the button in and with the footbrake pressed down. Certainly the Cee'd has a much finer ratchet on the handbrake which may have something to do with it.
Somehow i feel I have more control by not using the button, when I use the button it really puts it on harder seemingly. I may try and get into the habit now, based on the replies here.
How do you put your handbrake on? - legacylad
I instictively put the handbreak on silently, then into neutral and release clutch. Done it for 30+ years. Cannot remember whether I was taught to do this. Loud ratchet noises grate on my nerves.
How do you put your handbrake on? - FotheringtonThomas
Loud ratchet noises grate

Ditto. It's akin to the various other outrages one notices - loud "bump bump" music coming from within a sealed car, people driving with foglamps on, hats back-to-front, etc. etc.
How do you put your handbrake on? - L'escargot
I try to treat my car with mechanical sympathy. As well as pressing the handbrake button to minimise wear on the ratchet, I also avoid turning the steering wheel when the car is stationary. Turning the steering wheel when the car is stationary puts unnecessary load on the steering mechanism, and wears the front tyres at the point of contact with the ground. Also, on tarmac surfaces it can gouge lumps out of the surface. Woe betide anyone who does it on my driveway!

Edited by L'escargot on 03/11/2009 at 10:07

How do you put your handbrake on? - Pugugly
Anybody ever replaced a worn ratchet ?
How do you put your handbrake on? - Robin Reliant

>>
Nope, and never heard of anyone else having to do so either. I use button in because it is an ingrained habit from my instructing days, but I would'nt beat myself up about it if I had to click the lever up.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Mapmaker
We don't have to replace them because we don't abuse them...

One certainly hears of (used to hear of) old cars with handbrakes that don't hold properly. Surely given that the only thing preventing your car from disappearing is that little ratchet it makes sense to be nice to it.
How do you put your handbrake on? - mike hannon

>>
Yes. Morris 1800 Mk 3, 1978. The previous owner had done a lot of caravanning, IIRC.
I always press the button, and try to be generally mechanically sympathetic - but then, I've always spent my own money on cars.
How do you put your handbrake on? - 659FBE
I always pull the handbrake on with the button depressed but...

Having reached the final position of the lever, I lift it slightly with the button released, thus ensuring that the pawl engages fully with the selected tooth on the ratchet.

Not only that, as my car has a disk handbrake (nasty device) I always depress the footbrake so that the hydraulic actuation assists the rather hopeless mechanical force magnification assembly in the caliper. I do this both when applying the handbrake and when releasing it.

I don't leave the handbrake on when the vehicle is parked at home - but my garage has an adaptation (road hump for the front wheels and a slope) to ensure that the car is fully secure.

How do you put your handbrake on? - teabelly
I always pull the handbrake on with the button depressed but...
Having reached the final position of the lever I lift it slightly with the button
released thus ensuring that the pawl engages fully with the selected tooth on the ratchet.

Just what I do. Seems to be the best of both worlds with silent operation but certainty of engagement.
How do you put your handbrake on? - TeeCee
Yes. MGB. The bit where it ended up when correctly adjusted wore out to the extent that there was one tooth where no hold was available.

Interestingly enough, given the topic under discussion, the portion of the ratchet below that point (i.e. the bit that does the clattery noise when you pull the thing on without the button pushed) appeared in relatively good condition, being only slightly more worn the the upper part (which is largely unused). So, either all the previous owners had used the button or this doesn't make as much odds as some think wear-wise. As I apply "button in" and then pull for an additional click or two once it's "up", I suspect the former as this would concentrate the wear at the bite point.

As for the other response to this question, I'm stunned. Usually on an 1800 the return spring on the twist-to-release ("umbrella" handbrake) mechanism gave up the ghost, causing the brake to release at the drop of a hat, long before the ratchet. That's some serious abuse at work there.
How do you put your handbrake on? - martint123

Yup - my old mini many years ago failed it's MOT for handbrake popping off.
No, it wasn't me that wore it out, I only acquired it in it's last few months of life.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Armstrong Sid
I also avoid turning the steering wheel when
the car is stationary.

In a similar mentality, years ago I read that it's best to turn your lights on after starting the engine with the ignition, so that the battery and the starter motor and bulbs aren't having to compete for the same thing
How do you put your handbrake on? - Alby Back
Get it up to abot 40mph in second. Dab the footbrake to unweight the back wheels. Use the heel of your right hand to spin the wheel to full lock while hauling the handbrake up with your left ( button in of course ). As the rear of the car performs a 180 degree arc, release the handbrake and boot it.

Much more efficient than a three point turn......

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 03/11/2009 at 11:27

So it's *you* who's been making all those black marks on the road at junction! Go and buy a map, and plan your journey, or even buy a "satnav"!
How do you put your handbrake on? - bathtub tom
If you press the button in and put a little self-tapping screw between the button and housing you don't have to bother pressing it to release it. It also gives gives a satisfying fly-off type CLANK as it hits the floor.

Off-road use only of course. ;>)
How do you put your handbrake on? - Bill Payer
both insist that when applying the handbrake you should push in the release button...

My wife and I both pull on the handbrake without doing this

That's really odd - the "old" way was to push the button and the "modern" way is not to - your family seems to have been trained the opposite way around!
How do you put your handbrake on? - Ravs
Even I had the same questions in mind when my driving instructor instructed me to press the button and lift it without the noise, so that it reduces the wear and tear on the ratchet.

But I began searching on the internet as I always you to pull it up with pressing the button. (I drive internationally and needed to take a few lessons to get the UK licence)

The conclusion for this topic is that, doing it quietly reduces the wear and tear but most of car manuals instruct to do it without pressing the button because they feel that the rattling noise gives a kind of confirmation that you have securely parked your vehicle and confident that there will not be any chance of your Vehicle moving, especially when you park on slopes.

I also read on few forums that doing it both the ways in one go will solve the issue. So first press the button and lift the handbrake and then when you almost reach to the top release the button and let the handbrake clank a few times. In this way, your mind also registers the confirmation that the brake is firmly ON as well as it helps in reducing the wear and tear.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,
Rav
How do you put your handbrake on? - Lud
To apply the handbrake, pull it up. To release it, press the button and push it down.

It is an illusion that trying to apply the brake 'silently' (how loud is your ratchet?) causes less wear. Indeed it may cause more.

I know this is a bit complicated for some people.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Pugugly
Agree with Lud although I'm an ingrained button pusher in this respect though (sadly) - personally I feel it may be safer to pull it on the ratchet especially when parking on a slope.
How do you put your handbrake on? - John F
Not quite never, but very infrequently so it doesn't seize up. I always leave it in first gear or Park unless it's on a significant slope.
The reason, which none of your posters have mentioned, is, apart from saving wear on the mechanism and stretching of the wires, if anyone nudges it while parked it will move a little and thus might reduce the severity of any resulting dent.
With such infrequent use any ratchet wear will be insignificant so it doesn't matter at all about the button. [on the XK120 'fly-off' handbrake the button worked in reverse - pull lever, press button to lock on, pull lever again to 'fly-off'...!]
How do you put your handbrake on? - Bill Payer
if anyone nudges it while parked it will move a little and thus might reduce the severity of >> any resulting dent.

If it's in Park and it gets a hefty nudge then it'll break the park locking pawl. It also can't be a good thing for a manual to be shunted while in gear.
To release (the handbrake) press the button and push it down.

You should in fact pull the lever up slightly before depressing the button and returning the lever to the "off" position.
"It is an illusion that trying to apply the brake 'silently' (how loud is your ratchet?) causes less wear"

I'm relieved to hear someone come to my defense!
How do you put your handbrake on? - Alanovich
I couldn't give a monkey's about the flaming ratchet. I never keep a car long enough to be concerned that it'll wear out. However, I care about my delicate lug 'oles so always keep the button depressed when applying my handbrake.

I can not bear objects being raunched at for no good reason, when a tiny amount of care, thought and finesse will achieve whatever one is trying to achieve with far less kerfuffle, both physical and audible.
How do you put your handbrake on? - brum
Handbrake ratchets serve 2 purposes,

1) to stop the handbrake being unintentionally released

2) act as an audible/mechanical device to judge how far the brake lever has been applied

They dont/shouldnt wear out as they are designed/made for button out operation.

Button in application has 2 hazards associated with it.

a) not being certain that the brake application is sufficient

b) small possiblity that the ratchet is not fully engaged and it will release itself. (that was the conclusion of BBC watchdog investigation into self-releasing Vauxhall brakes)

Anyone complaining about the sound of a mechanical ratchet operating is a wuss.

If your car ends up rolling down a hill unexpectedly by itself, think about how you applied the handbrake.
Hello, wuss here.

Anyone trearing at the handbrake button-out is simply uncouth. I need no aural confirmation that the brake is applied correctly, I can feel it as the lever does not flop down again once I let it go.
care, thought and finesse

It isn't finesse Alanovich. It's unnecessary messing about.

Half a dozen tiny clicks will not damage your eardrums. I quite like the noise myself, although it varies from car to car.
I quite like the noise

Gah. An unseemly cacophany. I have enough of that in my life and car from two young children.
Quite right FT. But one does it unconsciously so I forgot.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Bilboman
As quietly as possible because the noise is avoidable and it is one of those little things that drives me potty. Ditto the otherwise calm and restrained passengers who slam the door with the ferocity of a cuckolded baboon. And those who insist on pressing a locking button the second they get in my car, quite convinced that we are bound to roll over and be flung violently out of the car at the slightest hint of a crosswind or take else a detour through Helmand province given half a chance.
All three actions show a driver or passenger who is not in tune with the modern world - a world of well engineered machinery, safety and ergonomics, and I think that is where the conflict lies.
How do you put your handbrake on? - DP
Pull it up 'til it won't come up any more using reasonable force. Can't say I've ever given it any more thought than that.

I've only ever had one worn ratchet, which was on my old mk2 Mondeo. When I went to the Ford dealer to buy the parts to fix the problem, the guy behind the counter asked for the reg number. On punching it into the Ford service database, he informed me that the part was subject to a recall that had never been done on my car, and would I like to book the car in at my convenience for the work to be done free of charge?

How do you put your handbrake on? - bathtub tom
>>And those who insist on pressing a locking button the second they get in my car

Perfectly normal behaviour. It prevents the scrotes opening the door and nicking anything whilst stationary.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Cliff Pope
Button in and apply moderate force, then release button and give it the final click just to be sure it has caught.

In the distant past when I had a car with proper door handles, I would similarly turn the handle to close the door, instead of slamming it.
calm and restrained passengers who slam the door with the ferocity of a cuckolded baboon.

I certainly agree about those. Academics and intellectuals are especially given to violent door-slamming. Some of them will also put their damn feet on the facia until shouted at.

Almost as bad are people who leave the door half-closed on the safety latch and walk away.

Can't remember anyone pressing the locking button though. People in London are fatalistic about the possibility of being dragged out of the car and shot dead at a traffic light.

Edited by Lud on 04/11/2009 at 11:42

How do you put your handbrake on? - redviper
Button in, hanbrake lever up like i have done for over 12 years of my driving life, i hate the sound of the ratchet clicking away

Although the sticker on the sunvisor, advises against pressing the button to prevent handbrake release, i leave the car in gear.
How do you put your handbrake on? - Altea Ego
Can't remember anyone pressing the locking button though. People in London are fatalistic about the
possibility of being dragged out of the car and shot dead at a traffic light.

I have to say, as a londoner, that possiility does not figure on my risk log, and i would be pretty upset (not to mention very unlucky) if it happened to me
i would be pretty upset (not to mention very unlucky) if it happened to me

I can't say I really noticed on any of the occasions it has happened to me AE.