01 2.0 Remote key fob not working - Lee D
Our car had a new key with integrated (2 button) fob provided and coded by a Citroen dealer approx 18 months ago as the original was lost.

The fob has recently stopped working and I fear I may have dropped a clanger by taking the battery out of the fob overnight to take with me as a sample for a replacement - hence possibly having lost the coding as the fob will not work with the new battery in?.

I was in the motor trade a few years ago and seem to remember various combinations of pressing fob buttons and switching the ignition on/off used to be how you enabled the fob but am not having any success.

When the new key was made I remember some hideous charge for coding - anyone any ideas on how to do it yourself????.

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2009 at 13:55

01 2.0 Remote key fob not working - macavity
Sounds like the new battery is the problem and not the key.
01 2.0 Remote key fob not working - Armitage Shanks {p}
If the key needs "Pairing " to the car after the battery change there will be instructions on how to do it in the handbook, there was certainly a procedure described for this on my Peugeot. I took the battery out of my Ford key the other day, to check what battery it needed, and it worked fine once the battery was put back in.
Citroen not that helpful! - doesn't even mention changing the fob battery in the owners manual never mind re-programming unfortunately.
01 2.0 Remote key fob not working - Dynamic Dave
Citroen not that helpful! - doesn't even mention changing the fob battery in the owners manual never mind re-programming unfortunately.

Switch Ignition on.
Wait for system LED to go out (if fitted).
Within 30 seconds: Press lock button or unlock button.
Within 10 seconds: Press lock or unlock button on any other keys.
Ensure system LED illuminates for approx ½ a second.
Syncronization procedure complete.
Confirm by trying to lock/unlock doors.

Replacement keys can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment.
Still no luck with new battery and following the above, appears no response at all from the fob. It did stop working quite suddenly so am wondering whether it might be something else
Thank you for the advice but looks like trip to the dealer is inevitable - I can't get any kind of response from the remote (even with a different new battery). Our local Citroen dealer quotes £51.00 for a re-code of the fob but obviously no guarantee that will solve the problem.
Think I'll try another one, you never know how long these type of thing could have been on the DIY shop shelf!, thanks.
01 2.0 Remote key fob not working - Armitage Shanks {p}
New battery presumably came in packaging with "Best Before Date" on it? Has the fob got wet or dropped in a puddle?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 05/11/2009 at 19:40

New battery presumably came in packaging with "Best Before Date" on it? Has the fob
got wet or dropped in a puddle?

Yes this one was foil sealed and good til 2017, nobody admitting to any misadventures with the fob and no signs of moisture etc inside.