Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - wiltshire_driver
The Triumph Mayflower was only produced from 1949 to 1953 so there are not many examples around these days, especially ones in good condition.

One example was traded in for a new MINI under the Scrappage Scheme and as disposal of scrappage cars is dealt with centrally by BMW UK, the Dealer had no control over its fate and it was eventually destroyed.

Follow the link below for a picture and a copy of the response letter from BMW.
www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2009/10/11/scrappage-kill.../

Mandy should have set a 25-year age limit for the scrappage scheme like the Americans did for their scheme!
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Lygonos
It's an ugly little car, the Mayflower!

Probably better being turned into spares.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - mike hannon
>It's an ugly little car, the Mayflower!<

So's the BMW Mini - I guess it was an appropriate swap. No taste in the 1950s, still no taste in the Noughties...
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Cliff Pope
A 1954 Mayflower was my first car. I bought it for £10 in 1966, having saved up my pocket money. I sold it for £20 2 years later, and moved up to a Triumph Roadster costing £45.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - loskie
Dealer would have every control over the car's fate. They could have still given discount "a la scrappage scheme" but punted the car in another direction methinks.
On the open market how much is a car like this worth? + or - £1000 I don't know.
Having gone to the blog via the link above people's views are a bit OTT after all it is only a car, an old one and perhaps not very desirable one at that. Perhaps the owner did their damndest to sell the car with no luck, who knows the real story.
No body has died, suffered or gotten injured in this tale so who cares?

It's like tut tutting at those involved in rallying/racing classic cars. What if they crash and "hurt" these old cars. They are a commodity NOT a living being.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - perro
Absolutely criminal IMO en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Triumph_Mayflower.JPG

unrelated comment snipped, smokie

Edited by smokie on 24/10/2009 at 10:05

Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - pmh3
Nobody here seems to have read the thread of posts with the article - otherwise comment would have been made. If a poster is to be believed, the registration number has been transferred off this vehicle before scrapping. How is this possible unless the original registered owner did it? Is someone in the dealers making a few quid on the side? That should warrant further BMW correspondence!
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Chris M
I don't see any connection between an old car and Griffin.

We should look after our heritage. Forty years ago we were only too happy to tear down old victorian buildings and erect nice new modern ones made of reinforced concrete. Not many would see the benefit now of that move, but some of the better concrete structures need to be saved as they are part of our building heritage and in years to come, may well be cherished for what they are, in the same way we now look at victorian architecture.

The Triumph Mayflower shoud be treated the same. As for politicians, very few leave anything worthwhile to be remembered by once they've gone.

Edited by Chris M on 24/10/2009 at 10:11

Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - perro
>>> some of the better concrete structures need to be saved as they are part of our building heritage<<>

Funny you should mention that - in my town there is a 60's concrete building used by the Police and there was a ooo ah about plans to knock it down as some considered it an eye sore.
Although I knew of sed building, I couldn't really place it in my 'minds eye', so - I went to look at it with my 'critical eye' and ... yes! I would say (quoting you) it is part of our heritage and needs to be saved but - alas isn't going to be.
Motoring connection - I like to see old classic and vintage cars on the road, my neighb restores them & has some really excellent examples - pure joy!
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Harleyman
All the fuss on the comments page reminds me of the stuff that used to go on (and probably still does) in railway preservation circles. Everyone huffing and puffing about what a disgrace it was that a certain piece of time-expired metal (of which forty already preserved) wasn't going to be "saved" and no-one actually putting up the wedge to do it.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have used the scrappage scheme but am not familiar with the munitiae of the system!
I think that somewhere in the paperwork is a "Certificate of Destruction", so I am not sure how a car handed in for scrappage could be diverted back into the market and onto the road.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - loskie
if you "handed in your car for scrappage" and got the deal you expected would you bother what happened to your scrapper? I know I didn't as long as the deal was right I was happy.
All the fuss on the comments page reminds me of the stuff that used to
go on (and probably still does) in railway preservation circles. Everyone huffing and puffing about
what a disgrace it was that a certain piece of time-expired metal (of which forty
already preserved) wasn't going to be "saved" and no-one actually putting up the wedge to
do it.

Old railway locomotives are usually put up for sale and sold to the highest bidder via sealed bid or at auction so potential buyers (e.g. preservation groups or scrap dealers) have every opportunity to buy it.

Under the car scrappage scheme no-one is given the chance to buy the car. Once the paperwork has been submitted, it HAS to be destroyed.
It's an ugly little car the Mayflower!
Probably better being turned into spares.

Chances are that it was crushed "as is" so there would have been no opportunity to take any spares off it.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - skittles
Shouldn't someone start one of these government petitions against the scrapping scheme?
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Robin Reliant
Well, if anyone cares that much about our "motoring heritage" why don't they offer to pay the owners of old cars £2000 for them as an alternative to having them scrapped.

If somebody decides to scrap their old banger (which is all it is to the scrapping owner) to get a new car it's there own business.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - bell boy
as ive said before why not burn all the books in the british library too
after all they are old and im sure we have them recorded on tape somewhere
maybe make the building a drop in centre for down and outs or something
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Armitage Shanks {p}
A book is of use to hundreds of people in its lifetime, it doesn't rust or rot or deteriorate, if looked after properly. An old car is of possible use to one owner, at a time, if he can get £2000 for a heap of ferric oxide with wheels on it, what's the problem?
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Lud
Bell boy has a point though. To continue the topic drift, a lot of the Victorian housing demolished during the sixties and seventies, when power-crazed yobbish councils were gutting the middles of our towns and cities for the benefit of their contractor friends, consisted of perfectly nice restorable small houses, far nicer to look at and live in than most of the cheapskate flats that replaced them. Of course some were nasty two-up-two-down back-to-back jobs as well.

The Mayflower was rather horrible and in its way the absolute archetype of a pretentious, very British - in the worst possible sense - small car. Made slightly later aberrations like the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet look positively sophisticated. It rusted too, which is why so few examples are left.
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - old crocks
My first car was a 1959 Ford Popular. In 1973 I scrapped it as it was riddled with rust. Today my brother told me there is a 1961 Popular for sale in the Surrey Advertiser for £1850. There can't be much original steel left on it.

Would I like to see it? Yes
Would I like to drive it? Yes, once, to see how much things have moved on.
Would I pay £1850 for it? No way
Would I take £2000 for it if it was mine? Yes
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - JH
Was it Captain Mainwaring who said "oh dear, what a pity, never mind"?

JH
Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - Altea Ego
No but it was Jim Bowen on Bully who said "Smashing Super"

Edited by Altea Ego on 24/10/2009 at 17:53

Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - helicopter
Nope JH - it was the Sergeant Major ( Played by Windsor Davies )in his Welsh baritone in 'It aint half hot Mum' usually to Lofty ( played by the late Don Estelle) or the La did da Gunner Graham ... and it it was his usual response to anything to which the soldiers objected .

It is also my reaction when I see someone get their rightful comeuppance...like the cyclist who rode brazenly through a red light beside me only to be stopped by an alert PC and given a sound ticking off and then sent to the back of the queue at the lights....or a justice minister caught by their own employment legislation.....

The actual wording as I recall was 'Oh dear , how sad , never mind'......

Rare Triumph Mayflower destroyed under scrappage - JH
Indeed it was helicopter, well remembered.

Memory going. Tick. :-(

JH