Peugeot 306 XLDT - Oilburner
Can anyone identify how to rectify the following:-

Starts ok from cold but idles roughly for about 30 seconds if cold or 60 seconds if really cold or has not been used for a while. Once vehicle is driven no problem and idles okay.

Also water seems to be comming in to the drivers footwell, about 1/2 inch of standing wayter this morning!, following a downpour. I think it is comming from the outer main seals. The car is 8 years old. How much would a Peugeot dealer charge for renewing both sides and can it be done elsewhere cheaper?

Thanks for any help.

Peugeot 306 XLDT - Andrew T
On the 'waterfront', most likely route is down the air intake in front of screen (which may be partially blocked with leaves etc) and in through heater, depending on whether car is parked on a slope, forwards or sideways. Or maybe sunroof, door seals? Unlikely to be round the screen itself, which is bonded to the surround, unless it has been replaced since assembly because of damage. Faint possibility of blocked drain holes at bottom of doors causing water inside doors to escape into car.
Peugeot 306 XLDT - Reggie
It sounds like it could have a pre-heater plug thats stopped working causing the poor idle when cold. As the affected cylinder warms up due to the compressing of air, and heat coming from the other cylinders, it will eventually start igniting (and running O.K.) When the engine is warm, you dont really need the pre-heat plugs, and this is why it runs O.K. on start up when warm. If youve got a multimeter, disconect the power supply to the plugs, and chck the pre-heat plugs individually for open circuit. If you do have a duff one you may as well replace all four at the same time as the others probably wont be far behind. Make sure you get decent quality plugs as cheap ones dont last. You could also check that the pre heat supply (12-14v) to the plugs is o.k.(before you disconect the power lead), the power supply remaining on for about as long again as the dashboard light shows (if my memory serves me well). Good luck.
Peugeot 306 XLDT - blank
I've no experience of this specific vehicle, but reggie's reply about the glow plugs seems good to me.

On the water leak, I have experience on a different car leaking water to a similar extent. That turned out to be a recently replaced windscreen which was not properly sealed in. I have also had smaller amounts of water leak when the plastic sheets behind the door panel had become unsealed from the door.
The only way to trace the leak is to spend time crawling around in the car when it rains, looking for the runs of water, trying to work out which bit is leaking. If you are lucky you might be able to simulate the problem by having an assistant water the car with a hosepipe.

Good luck!
Andy
Peugeot 306 XLDT - Edward
The running problem could also be down to the glow plug controller which includes a post heat function depending on engine temperature and whether the throttle has been opened beyond a certain point. On my post facelift 306, the throttle position switch and, I think, temperature switch (too dark now to go and check) are both located on the injection pump. Check the operation of these before checking the glow plug controller but after checking the glow plugs, as suggested earlier. The throttle position switch also opens and closes the EGR valve which I have now disconnected after the exploding XUDT discussions.
Peugeot 306 XLDT - verglas
The most usual problem with this sort of water leak is faulty door membranes. Most people try to bodge them, but you must bite the bullet and get them from a dealer, its the only way!! Just take the door panel off and have a look. If the membrane shows any sign of having been tampered with that will be the problem as they are a preformed sheat with very tacky sealant.
Peugeot 306 XLDT - IanT
The reason people bodge the door membranes is that Peugeot charge something like £25 for a piece of sticky plastic foam. But I agree that this is a likely source of water leaks.

Look for water coming down the inside of the door panel and collecting at the lowest point of the door seal before dripping into the footwell.

If this is the fault, the angle the car is parked at (up, down, left, right) will make a big difference to the size of the leak.
Peugeot 306 XLDT - verglas
You can buy sheets of sticky backed foam from your Peugeot dealer for a lot less than that. It is used for all other non-formed membranes.