Pug 306 1.8 XU7 emissions control? - SjB {P}
I recently purchased an eight year old Pug 306 1.8 SR Sedan for my missus. Genuine 15k miles, and puts a smile on my face every time I borrow it. I can't believe that a relatively budget second car, with such uncomplicated pretentions, can go, handle, ride, and otherwise entertain like it does!

Anyway, to the reason for the post, which follows from an earlier one on the same subject:

The car had covered a genuine 15k miles when we purchased it a few weeks ago, as borne out by knowing it's previous owner (from new), and the FPSH. A quick phone call to the supplying dealer this morning, who also did all the servicing, to request the radio code (previous owner now unfortunately deceased), prompted the service manager to recall the reg no from memory, and also that the car has no 'history'.

It did, however, fail it's emissions test earlier this year, but passed easily when retested the following day. I also know this from the paperwork I have, but the Haynes manual says that the Magneti Marelli ECU fitted to this car is not adjustable, so what was done to make it pass?

Ideas last time I asked centred round high tech (but feasible!) solutions such as giving it a good blast, but today, I came across something interesting:

On removing the ECU from the battery tray holder it lives in, to to replace the clutch cable, I noticed that it has a large, slightly domed rubber circluar insert in one side, akin to what a section of tennis ball would look like if you took the 'fur' off.

It is clear to see that this cover was originally itself covered in a plastic label with the words VOID VOID VOID VOID... written over it, but which has been disturbed.

Is this perchance how the emissions are adjusted, or am I barking up the wrong tree. I don't intend to let curiosity get the better of me, and remove the insert, until I know what is on the other side. ECUs tend to be expensive!

Many thanks,
Steve
Pug 306 1.8 XU7 emissions control? - SjB {P}
Oops - posted too soon!

A note for HJ: Thanks for the tips in your 306 breakdown info.

Our 306 exhibits exactly the clutch cable symptoms you mention to be wary of (impossible to exert absolute control, with fine movement when trying to creep slowly forward being a series of tiny, but discrete, depressions or releases of the pedal), so today's job for me is a preventative £38 (genuine Peugeot to give others an idea of price) replacement of the clutch cable.

/Steve