Engine Pre-Warmers - Cyd
It's easy to understand why engine pre-warmers should be popular in areas of the world where winter temperatures regularly dip to -30C or less. However here in the UK our climate isn't so extreme.

The personal comfort side of things is easy to understand even in the UK, as is the ability to demist straight away. What I would like to know though is whether anyone out there in Backroomland has any personal experience of using these systems and can atest to the claims made for improved fuel economy and extended engine life. What evidence did you use to reach your conclusions? What were the actual improvements?

Did you install the system yourself - was it straight forward?

Also what about other car systems that are not pre-warmed (eg. gearboxes or wheel bearings).

Ta, Cyd
Engine Pre-Warmers - jud
When i worked days during the winter months (when the winters were cold)i placed a convention heater under the engine sump.
This switched on via a time switch, if your really keen it can be wired so the heater works only when below a set temperature say 10c.
This brought benefits in reduced warm up times during my short journey to work
Engine Pre-Warmers - Cyd
Thanks for the suggestion Jud. I've tried it out this week and had the following results:

With no pre-warming the car takes 2.6 miles for the temperature gauge to reach the second mark (I know from previous experimentation that this corresponds to a coolant temp in the low 70s). Immediately after starting the engine runs at c1400rpm.

Experiment 1: Position a 2kW fan heater just in front of one front wheel blowing diagonally backwards under the engine bay for 1 hour. Initial idle now c1250rpm and second mark on gauge reached in 2.3 miles.

Experiment 2: just so happens that the fan heater will sit in the engine bay resting on the turbo and pointing at the block. Do this with bonnet down for 45 mins. initial idle c1050rpm and second mark reached in 1.8 miles.

So experiment 2 yielded a significant improvement in warm up times, but is the initial investment in a heater (£20?) plus the cost of electricity worth it? On economy 7 tariff the electricity cost c4.5 pence. This would buy 62cc of fuel. For me, on my daily run to work I would have to see an overall
improvement in fuel economy from 31mpg to 31.26mpg (a 0.82% improvement). No attempt has been made to measure this, but judging by the initial idle speed and 30% improvement in warm-up distance I would guess this is being achieved.

I'll try experiment 2 again leaving the heater on for longer to see if this yields further improvement.

Regards Cyd
Engine Pre-Warmers - robert
Cyd,

I have fitted Kenlowe Hotstart units to both our cars - a Megane 1.6 and an Omega 3.0. Fantastic. I'm not sure about the overall effect of fuel economy, but can vouch that the Omega's fuel computer now cold starts @ pretty much the same instant mpg as tickover. This shouln't be the reason to fit one - in my view.

Apart from the car producing warm air from the heater almost instantly, the overall cold start "experience" is better by far - the car starts as if it has been stopped for 30 mins and drives away nice & smoothly - especially when its below zero outside. Takes about 45 mins to come up to temp - less on the Megane as there is much less metal to heat!

Not a fitting job for the faint hearted - but not beyound the scope of an keen and capapable DIY person either.

I've been lucky and bought both my units second hand - I really couldn't justify spending upwards of £170 on one.

Just my views .......

Robert
Engine Pre-Warmers - Simon Templar

Pleased to hear that the Kenlowe has proved to be of use Robert
I only wish that I had room to have fitted it on our diesel.My wife will not wait for it to warm up & guns the turbo with impatient glee.
Regards
Simon T.
Hi Simon,

I've even got it controlled by X10 remote control and will be using it tomorrow morning @ 06:00 when I put the kettle on.

Regards ........ Robert

PS- your unit is on the Megane - I got another one for the Omega!
Engine Pre-Warmers - Claude
There is some further info about this on the Q & A board on the the Range Rover section of the following site: www.lromagazine.com

Go to 18th Sept and there is a subject called Kenlowe Hotstart
Engine Pre-Warmers - Flat in Fifth
Don't forget the previous discussion in the forum on this subject.

Type in Webasto in tyhe search box and it will take you there.

These are petrol and diesel fuelled heaters. Andy Bairsto fitted one.

Some cars have them as standard to speed up engine warm up eg Rover 75 CDT.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Cliff Pope
I like Cyd's experimentation with a fan heater. This seems a useful and economical starting point before going to the trouble and expense of the proper thing.
I suppose it depends which bit of the engine is really benefiting from the pre-warmth. To affect the heater obviously requires the cooling system to be heated, and this would be difficult to achieve except by using the proper plumbed-in system.
But surely the benefits to the engine come from warming the oil, which would suggest that something under the sump might be best. What about one of those all-enclosed tubular heaters, placed permanently on the garage floor about 1/2 inch under the sump, on a timeswitch to give say 2 hours before leaving time?

(I was told a story from Oregan 50 years ago, where they had to drain the oil after a run and put the tin on the stove overnight. Then pour it back in before starting. Failure to do this meant the oil was as thick as grease and it was impossible to turn the engine)
Engine Pre-Warmers - smokie
Received the following from Kenlowe today via email

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Whilst our engine interior pre.-heater 220v system would be ideal for your vehicle and use we are currently preparing for an upgrade to go into production shortly - in the meantime we regret that no stock remains of the previous model. We propose sending information on the next generation as soon as possible - unfortunately whilst we expect this to be ready for this winter there will be a delay of some time in meanwhile, so I trust you will bear with us."
Engine Pre-Warmers - Oz
Brilliantly interesting forum this! - very interested in Kenlowe's comments. I take it they do NOT offer an installation service - pity. I would really like a pre-heater for my BMW 320d for all the claimed benefits (although wouldn't be heartbroken if the MPG didn't improve as it's outstanding anyway - over 60 on a couple of tankfuls, range 800 miles-plus).
The trouble is to even find the relevant coolant pipes in an engine bay which is choc-a-bloc and mostly hidden under plastic mouldings, then to find a place to mount the heater unit, then to decide how/where to site the power connection without drilling a body panel, or having to raise the bonnet to make the connection each time. Anyone done it?

Engine Pre-Warmers - Dave N
Oz, I think you'll find your car already has an engine heater. All you need is the bit from Webasto to make it into a preheater. Try them or BMW, it's about £200 ish and takes a few moments to fit.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Oz
Many thanks Dave N! I'll check this out with Webasto and report back.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Oz
Hi Dave N,
I checked and can see where you're coming from.
Webasto's brochure for such units ('Standheizung') are for with and without remote control, priced at 738 to 918 Euros respectively (without installation), for the basic unit on a compact sized car. Webasto have an international network of fitting stations but I gather UK ones will always need to check for compatible parts for right hand drive. Therefore you have to reckon with spending upwards of £800 in the UK!
BMW offer a unit priced at £289 to £323 (plus VAT plus installation) but currently these are for the 5-Series and X5 diesels only. Reason: these models are already fitted with a small wheel-arch mounted oil-burning unit as OEM equipment, and the above prices are for the supplementary components. No doubt if a package can be offered for the 320d, it would turn out much the same as the above £800.
H'm. It's worth waiting to see what Kenlowe will offer in their redesigned product, although presumably this will not be self-contained like the Webasto product, but mains-powered. So if you're away from home, you need a very long cord.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Dave N
Hi Oz, that was the part I was on about, but I'm surprised the heater's not already fitted to the 3 series diesels. As the same engine is fitted to the Rover 75 and Land Rover Freelander, and both these have the heater fitted in the wheelarch, I (wrongly) assumed the Beemer would have it as well.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Oz
Hi again Dave,
A postscript regarding Webasto.
It appears that Vehvac of Edenbridge, Kent, are now a (the?) main UK agent for the Webasto heater (see Diesel Car magazine, January 2003, pp 71-72). I'll find out from them how the above Euro prices translate into £ prices for units installed in the UK.
Also from BMW whether they would give such an installation in my 320d the thumbs up or thumbs down (effect on vehicle warranty?).
Engine Pre-Warmers - smokie
Kenlowe have now emailed me for my postal address so they can send the new details - so their new product must be imminent.
Let us know when you get it through ......

Aye ...

:-))
Hi Cliff,

I think the only potential problem with this idea is that the tubular heaters are only 60watt/foot.

The Kenlowe is 3kw and takes 45 mins to do the job.

Maybe a tray of hot coals would be better ...............

:-))
Engine Pre-Warmers - rogerb
I have had a Hot-Start on my Focus tdi for 3+ years.
Had HUGE difficulty getting it fitted correctly - NOT a DIY job in my crowded engine bay, and having it 'professionally botched' resulted in loss of coolant (x3!) and burnt-out heater units (x2, but replaced foc by Kenlowe). So, it has been a very expensive learning experience, but, now it is correctly installed, it is reassuring on cold (or even cool) mornings, knowing the engine is running in warm oil from the word Go.

I cannot detect any change in my (dismal for a tdi) fuel consumption figures, but feel engine wear MUST have been reduced.
(And I just LOVE starting off in a warm car on a cold morning!).

In summary, expensive to buy, MUST be installed correctly, no apparent improvement in mpg. Generally good, patient, customer service from Kenlowe. Probably only cost-effective if you keep your car a LONG time.
Sub-zero oil - CMark {P}
Has anybody tried this? Take a litre of new, good quality engine oil; put half of it into a sealed container in the freezer overnight. (Consider putting the container in a sealed freezer bag if it is going to be in proximity to food.) Keep the other half litre out at room temperature. Next day compare the pouring characteristics of the two by pouring them separately into clean, dry, clear-glass containers. A freezer is normally at -18 deg C and room temp is around 20 deg C. I wonder how much difference in viscocity one would see? Only a little I would expect.

If you are really serious you could heat some oil to 100 deg C (measuring temp with a chip pan/ cooking thermometer) and compare that (being careful to pour it into a pre-warmed container)!

CMark
Sub-zero oil - J Bonington Jagworth
Have YOU tried it? Temperature makes a huge difference to viscosity, hence multigrades. Try pouring golden syrup on a cold morning.. (I know it's not oil, but just humour me!)
Sub-zero oil - CMark {P}
As it so happens, I have a few litres of oil [1] lying around the house. So, a couple of days ago, when SWMBO wasn't looking, I secreted half a litre in the freezer. This morning she went out early, muttering something about going to the office (yes, yes, I know it's Sunday but they do work odd days here in the Middle East) so I set to work myself. I took it out and compared it to a similar quantity I had at room temperature (26 deg C).

As an automotive engineer, I must admit I was still surprised how much of a difference there was. This oil I was using must be just about the best multigrade there is. The cold stuff (-18 deg C) poured like clear honey at room temp; the warmer stuff poured like (warm) sunflower oil. Not exactly a scientific result, I know, but nevertheless tangible. Try it yourself. I was expecting much less of a difference after all these years of industrial chemists' development.

[1] Mobil 1 0W - 50; the last few litres from a 60-litre barrel I bought a few years ago from Mobil's bulk storage facility near Rotterdam harbour.

Cyd, any more fan heater results to report?

CMark
Sub-zero oil - Cyd
Yes indeed:

Experiment 3: fan heater on 2kW for 2 hrs. Reference temp reached in 1.8 miles (again).

Experiment 4: fan heater on 2kW for 30 mins. Reference temp reached in 1.8 miles (again).

Experiment 5: fan heater on 1kW for 2hrs. Reference temp reached in 2.2 miles.

It would thus appear that half an hours worth (or so) of fan heating under the bonnet (directly heating the block) is worthwhile provided the heater is on a reasonable power level. Leaving it on for much longer yields no (apparent) further improvement. Having the heater on a low power setting seems to be of little use.

Looking at the LRO site also it would seem that results are mixed with the Kenlowe pre-warmers - owners who try using them outside seem to get little benefit. Having the vehicle in a good garage would appear to be a significant part of the process.
Engine Pre-Warmers - john whitley
Claude - thanks for teh tip about Kenlowe Hotstarts and Range Rovers which sounds likely to match my problem. But all I can find on the Ironmagazine site is endless stuff about bodybuilding; please could you give me a more precise idea of which magazine and how to pinpoint the item - was it lifestyle, proteins or what?
many thanks........ john whitley
John, not IRONmagazine but LROmagazine.com (meaning Landrover Owners Magazine !!). The site has just been re-organised so I cant say that you will definitely find the relevant threads but go to Q & A Board and then to RangeRover.
John. Correction to my previous message. The new site is WWW.LRO.COM In other words no longer has the word 'magazine' in the address.
Engine Pre-Warmers - nick
Must be a muscle car!
Engine Pre-Warmers - J Bonington Jagworth
My dad used to park a little paraffin heater (!) under the sump on cold nights. I think it made a useful difference, especially in pre-multigrade days.

Some time ago, I had the idea of providing an insulated container for the coolant, which would automatically be pumped into it when the car was switched off, and back again afterwards, having been kept warm. Never actually did it, of course, but I think the principle of warming the engine (and oil) before use is very sound. It should extend engine life and reduce fuel consumption (and pollution).
Engine Pre-Warmers - Tim Allcott
BMW 5 series has some sort of 'heat battery' doesn't it? How does that work? anyone using one?

Tim
Engine Pre-Warmers - Dom F {P}
I used to have one on an old Toyota Celica ST back in 1987 which had a Kenlowe thing fitted. We all knew it as a Core Plug Heater then. It plugged from the mains into a socket on the bulkhead and heated the oil. In the winter it really came into its own. I don't remember being able to get hot air from it, all I know is it made cold starts a thing of the past.
Engine Pre-Warmers - borasport20
My dad used to park a little paraffin heater (!) under
the sump on cold nights. I think it made a useful
difference, especially in pre-multigrade days.

My elder brother used one of those until two years ago, when it melted the plastic wiring loom on his 6 month old Punto, which subsequently caught fire and did sufficient damage to have the vehicle written off...
I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Engine Pre-Warmers - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Candle under the sump?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
\"\"\"My elder brother used one of those until two years ago, when it melted the plastic wiring loom \"\"\"

...And they say mankind has evolved. I won\'t ask how such a dimwit got through puberty.

If you must have heat in your garage, use an electric heater to heat the AIR in the garage, not the most flammable thing IN it.

And if you\'re that dense that you wanna use a candle/paraffin heater/toaster etc ... do you have to stick it RIGHT UNDER what you\'re trying not to send to car valhalla?
[I corrected the error. M]
Dom F.

Let me get this straight. You're saying the candle isn't enough and a larger fire is needed?

Coal? Charcoal? Throw me a bone here!
--
Engine Pre-Warmers - Dwight Van Driver
Remember in the old days when Toad was nobbut a twinkle in his Dads eye Lorry drivers that used to park up overnight and after a frost, light oily rags/papers under the diesel tanks to melt the frozen fuel.

Funny I don't recollect attending any of them fully on fire.

DVD
(and Woodbines were 3p for 10)
Funny I don't recollect attending any of them fully on fire.

I can just see Tommorow's Headline:

"Police Spokesman advocates lighting fires under vehicles in cold weather!!!"

I still reckon a candle under the sump would do no harm at all. Like DVD I seem to recall reading about tank drivers using the same trick.

Anyone wanna try the candle? I'm taking it easy with my 'new' Rover for a while.

--
Engine Pre-Warmers - Baskerville
Under a diesel engine maybe, but under a petrol engine? Now where are those nomination forms for the 2003 Darwin Awards? Oh yes, I burnt them last night trying to keep the diesel in my BX from waxing.
Under a diesel engine maybe, but under a petrol engine?

A sump is a sump is a sump. The petrol's miles away!

--
Engine Pre-Warmers - Baskerville
>A sump is a sump is a sump. The petrol's miles away!

The falling vapour, or even drips, from a leaky fuel pipe isn't though.
>A sump is a sump is a sump. The petrol's miles
away!
The falling vapour, or even drips, from a leaky fuel pipe
isn't though.

Sounds to me like you'd get away with it...
--
Engine Pre-Warmers - Malcolm_L
I still have an old paraffin sump heater - unfortunately useless now with undertrays.

Device has a small circular wick with a gauze dome over the flame, so no naked flame ala davy lamp. This also helped to prevent the flame being blown out.

I last used it back in the 80's when we had -15c's one winter, my Renault 16 never failed to start and never caught fire either.
Engine Pre-Warmers - Dynamic Dave
Candle under the sump?

An Elton John remix maybe?
Engine Pre-Warmers - Mark (RLBS)
This is Technical Matters ? I'm not lost and really in Discussion ?

Take it next door, please.
Engine Pre-Warmers - jc
There used to be a number of firms who made paraffin heaters to go under the sump;they fitted fine grilles(like miner's lamp)so thet could not start a fire.
Engine Pre-Warmers - BrianH
Thick frost on the car this morning.
Its pluged into the Pre-Warmer (Kenlowe) which switches in the interior fan to defrost the windows. Everything is warm.
But I had a lot of time and room for the conversion.
And me - excellent arn't they ........

I didn't have much room, so sorted it back in balmy August when everyone thought I was Barmy! I having the last laugh now though ...
Engine Pre-Warmers - chronyx
Does anyone know how much a new Kenlowe preheater is?

A mate has a BT van with one that powers itself from the diesel tank and battery - anyone know if something like this can be fitted to a petrol car?
Engine Pre-Warmers - Roger Jones
£234.77, plus fitting. I've just had one fitted; it's no DIY job for people like me. It's taking too long to do its job and I am in contact with Kenlowe to find out why. When I have resolved the problem, I'll report to the list.
. . . and in response to the original post, I can already confirm fuel savings in the 15-20% region from a tankful used for one long trip (200 miles) and multiple trips of 20-30 miles. The more short trips you do, the greater the saving. That is, the engine will always be almost as efficient as it is when fully warmed up on a long trip, so overall fuel consumption approaches what you would reckon to get on long trips. I am expecting my fuel spreadsheet to show a rolling six-fills figure rising from 26 mpg to 30 mpg. That means that I shall certainly be using the pre-heater throughout the year, rather than just in the winter.
£234.77, plus fitting. I've just had one fitted; it's no DIY
job for people like me. It's taking too long to do
its job and I am in contact with Kenlowe to find
out why. When I have resolved the problem, I'll report to
the list.

Where was this done? How much was fitting?
I'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons:

* Delayed response to chronyx
The fitting was done by my regular servicing mechanic. He needed three hours to do the job on my MB E320 Coupé. Some DIY job, eh? It will no doubt be easier on some cars than others.

* Solution to problem of slowness
We have at last fixed the slowness problem. After checking, rechecking and checking again that everything had been done properly, the possibility arose that the heater was not delivering enough power. While waiting for my mechanic to visit and do a proper electrical test, I counted the revolutions of the disk in my electricity meter, comparing a 3kW electric fire with the supposedly 3kW Kenlowe heater. Lo and behold, the heater was consuming significantly less power. The proper test confirmed that, in spite of being machine marked as a 3kW heater, it was in fact a 2kW one. Kenlowe have replaced it and the new heater has brought the warm-up time down from an unreasonable 1.75 hours to 1 hour, which I can accept as being acceptable for a biggish engine. Kenlowe have been responsive and helpful throughout, and seem to have a reasonable attitude about their error incurring additional fitting costs for me, and I am expecting them to reimburse me for the further hour that Paul the mechanic had to spend to fit the replacement heater.
Much appreciated, thankyou. :o)
Just to wrap this up finally:

I am happy to confirm that Kenlowe have now reimbursed me in full for the cost of refitting the heater and returning the faulty one to them. I have no hesitation in recommending them to others as a professional and responsible company.