Computer Related Questions-Volume 198 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 199 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 198. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2009 at 12:36

Open Office - why free? - Rattle
Been using Open Office for five years now instead of buying M$ stuff. I have recently been getting more involved in it and have currently used a MySQL database as a datasource in order to try and automate my admin. I am finding the power of it simply amazing its worth at least as much as Office, how can they give it away for free?

Moved from previous CRQ - Rattle can you post in synch otherwise they'll get lost in the clutter

Edited by Pugugly on 20/10/2009 at 17:58

Open Office - why free? - colinh
Ditto - Songbird instead of iTunes being continually updated with bloatware
Open Office - why free? - maz64
Ditto - Songbird instead of iTunes being continually updated with bloatware

Thanks for that - just installed the Linux version, seems pretty good.
Open Office - why free? - TheOilBurner
Open Office - why free?

I don't know. Some people believe that software should be shared and nobody should own it outright. Others use free software to try and tie you into the sale of hardware or lead you into pricey enterprise level software.

Personally, I'm not sure I agree with the free software model. I write software for a living, why on Earth would I wish to work for free?

That said, I do use free software. If they're dumb enough to give it to me for free...

The GNU philosophy goes something like this:

Making a copy of software isn't the same as taking it away from someone, plus controlling the copying of things is a similar strategy the Soviet Union used to prevent freedom of exchange of ideas and information, therefore copyright of software is Stalinist...

www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

Needless to say, I think that's nonsense...
Open Office - why free? - TheOilBurner
Oh and of course, some companies give away the software for free in the vain hope that you'll then subscribe to some online or telephone support service, and make their money from that.

Yeah right.
Yep I understand that but Open Office is made by Sun a commerical company. When I explain this to customers when they ask me this question I always say it so Sun can try and steal sales of Microsoft but and they can also charge money to developers for support but surely they are still loosing a fortune on it?
Open Office - why free? - Stuartli
>>..Open Office is made by Sun a commercial company>>

That's not quite correct. OpenOffice has been around for about 21 years; Sun set up the OpenOffice.org project in 2000 and continues to contribute substantially as a community member and providing world-class support and services for OpenOffice.org (StarOffice).

It seems to be regarded that the software is a valuable resource but that Office is still some way ahead overall.

Sun, of course, does provide some other free software.

Open Office - why free? - Pugugly
Well, personally, I believe its to be commended - you don't feel you're being ripped off by a major corporation which is a rare feeling indeed these days. Of course you can contribute financially towards it's use and I was happy to do so on this machine.
There are some other sources of similar excellent free software, such as Jarte, a word processor based on Microsoft's WordPad, but more versatile. It's probably more than sufficient for quite a few people, who would be overpowered by more complicated offerings:

www.jarte.com
Open Office - why free? - cheddar
Open Office is undoubtedly superb value for money, unbeatable in that criteria alone!

Though MS Office 2007 is undoubtedly much better so is therefore worth spending between £80 ish and £200 ish for depending on which version best suits.

Even £200 over 2 years, that's £2 a week for all that Office can do:

Its £2 a week I would rather spend on beer. I have not checked for a while but I think the business version which has access etc costs £300.

The best application of Office for me is Outlook and that is the only thing I miss.

I know DSG use Open Office on their terminals.
Open Office - why free? - ifithelps
Several large companies and organisations I deal with use the word processor part of Open Office when they send me documents via email.

Open Office - why free? - Kevin
>Its £2 a week I would rather spend on beer.

What a coincidence you mention beer.

Read "The Daemon, the GNU and the Penguin" by Peter Salus.

Groklaw has it online here:

tinyurl.com/2zskbt

You need to understand the difference between Free as in 'Libre' or Free as in 'Gratis'. Free as in freedom or free as in beer.

The Groklaw site documents the extraordinary scheme attempted by a company called Caldera to hijack Linux. Their legal shenanigans started six years ago and if it ever gets to a jury trial, a book I wrote in 1997 may be used in evidence.

Kevin...
Open Office - why free? - J Bonington Jagworth
"a company called Caldera"

Better known as SCO, I think?
>Better known as SCO, I think?

Correct, they changed the company name to The SCO Group for obvious reasons if you know the history.

This case opened my eyes to how badly the american legal system can be gamed by competent lawyers.

Kevin...
>>Its £2 a week I would rather spend on beer>>

You're not a big beer drinker then?

My club has some of the cheapest Guinness in my area and it's still £2.30 a pint...:-)

"MS Office 2007 is undoubtedly much better "

In what way? It uses a new, incompatible file format; new, incomprehensible menus; hogs resources and occupies vast tracts of hard disc real estate. The old argument that you needed MS Office for compatibility is now shot down in flames, so you have to wonder why people pay good money for something that they don't need. Unless there really is something useful that 2007 can do that earlier versions (or OO) couldn't...

My favourite substitute is Ashampoo Office, which reads and writes MS formats and can be run from a memory stick, which is a lot easier to carry around than a laptop! It's not free, but it's less than a tenth the cost of MS's version...
Open Office - why free? - cheddar
"MS Office 2007 is undoubtedly much better "
In what way? It uses a new incompatible file format; new incomprehensible menus; hogs resources
and occupies vast tracts of hard disc real estate. The old argument that you needed
MS Office for compatibility is now shot down in flames so you have to wonder
why people pay good money for something that they don't need. Unless there really is
something useful that 2007 can do that earlier versions (or OO) couldn't...

It introduces a new file format in some apps though it's use is optional.

New GUI, once you get used to it (a couple of hours) it is great.

A few hundred MB is of no consequence these days.

Hogs resources? It works very smoothly and efficiently on the four machines I have it running on.

It does everything more efficiently, the only gripe is that Publisher does not use the new GUI, that being said Publisher 2007 is a powerful tool now in 2007 form.

The PDF plugin is brilliant, no/zero/zilch formatting issues, unlike OO.

"It works very smoothly and efficiently on the four machines I have it running on."

Which are how old? I'm sure it's OK on contemporaneous kit, but I that's also true of Word 97.

In what way does it do "everything more efficiently"? I admit I've only dabbled with it, but it seemed slower than 2003, which I use at one place of work, which itself was slower than the Office 2000 it replaced. I used Word 2000 for years and can't remember ever requiring a non-existent feature.
Open Office - why free? - Dipstick
Open Office? Pah.

As an experiment, I fished out my old BBC B with a built in Acorn View wordprocessor the other day and sat it next to my PC. I wanted to see how long it took from startup to producing a letter.

The PC, about a year old, and pretty well specced, running Office 2007 under Vista, took over four minutes from power up to being ready to type "Dear Sir" into Word.

The BBC was turned on - prompt appears instantly. You type *word and the word processor is there instantly. It was less than five seconds to get to the same point.

Progress eh?

Obviously I understand the issues over formatting, prettiness, graphics, modern printer drivers etc etc, but if you want to produce a simple letter, and bung it in the post...

Edited by Dipstick on 22/10/2009 at 10:00

but if you want to produce a simple letter and bung it in the post...

...use a pen and paper? :-)
Open Office - why free? - Dipstick
"...use a pen and paper? :-)"

Funny you should say that.

Part of my job is on occasion advising elderly academics about their computing needs, and on more than one occasion we have mutually agreed that for a particular small task a notebook from Smiths and a biro is the answer. Instant hard copy, no backup loss, easy to (photo)copy, portable, pocket sized, fast to access, cheap to run, familiar, comfortable to use...
I've used Word for many years (still with Word 2000) and I doubt if I've ever had to use two per cent of its capabilities in that time.

You can buy books of several hundred pages long describing how to use all its features....:-)
Open Office - why free? - SpamCan61 {P}
I've used MS Word since v4.0 IIRC, mostly now using 2003 version, still trying to avoid Office 2007. I use OO 3.1 at home on my Acer Netbook ( 1.6 GHz Intel Atom, 512MB of RAM).

I think OO seems generally quicker and easier to use becuase it doesn't have quite so many bells and whistles as MS Word, for example does OO do all the versioning / approving / sharing stuff Word does?

However, Like I suspect a high proportion of MS Word users, I never use all that fancy functionality, in fact even Word 97 has far more functionality than I need.

So I'd say OO will do the job for the vast majority of home users and a good chunk of corporate users.
"even Word 97 has far more functionality than I need"

Same here, and I'm a technical author! Also, I find that to write a simple document, like a letter, I much prefer an uncluttered screen, so I reach for something easier, like Jarte or Abiword, both of which are free and light on resources. Actually, Abiword pulls the neat trick of appearing quite simple, but has a lot of facilities built in to the menus. I suspect a lot of people pass it by for looking too basic.
Open Office - why free? - safedriver
>> how can they give it away for free?

OO is superb. I believe I read somehwere that commercial organizations which use OO and require support have to pay for that. Which means that it can be free for the rest of us.
Open Office - why free? - Altea Ego
Open office is free for one reason. To dilute the sales of, and hence the profit of Microsoft. The ultimate aim being to marginalise the company.

It is of course dressed up with various phrases to ensure the companies that contributed to its birth and continued health are not saddled with anti trust lawsuits.

>Open office is free for one reason. To dilute the sales of, and hence the profit of
>Microsoft. The ultimate aim being to marginalise the company.

The reason that Open Office is gaining widespread acceptance is not because it is free of charge. It's because it uses open, published formats for it's files that anyone can implement without paying licence fees or threats of litigation.

Using open published formats means that you can't be held to ransome in ten years time when your new version of a proprietary office package refuses to open your old files or the software company goes bust. It means that if I want to write an audio document reader for the visually impaired I can do so without fear of it being sabotaged by a deliberately introduced incompatibilty.

Every document produced with taxpayers money or part of public record should ONLY be stored in open formats.

>It is of course dressed up with various phrases to ensure the companies that contributed to
>its birth and continued health are not saddled with anti trust lawsuits.

Well, seeing Microsoft as plaintif in an anti trust case would at least make an interesting change ;-)

Kevin...
The reason that Open Office is gaining widespread acceptance is ..
... because it uses open published formats for it's files that anyone can
implement without paying licence fees or threats of litigation.

And there isn't an MS Office for the growing number of Linux users.
Open Office - why free? - Manatee
I love OO, and no longer bother with Office at home since my copy of Office Professional refused to be installed any more!

For the first time in a while couple of days ago I found a limitation - somebody sent me some passworded Powerpoint files which OO won't open.

That said, we now have constant problems at work with Office as most people are still on Office 97-2003 and we keep receiving Office 2007 files that we can't open.

There's a view that software will generally go "free" in the same way perhaps that TV is free to air (with advertising). Another free option growing in popularity is Google Apps.

The only paid for software I use at the moment apart from Vista is Paintshop Pro (and I'm not using anything pirated either).
"Paintshop Pro"

There are some decent free Paint programs, too. I used PSP v4 (from a cover disc) for years and then discovered The Gimp, which is roughly the paint equivalent of Open Office, but for everyday, I use PhotoFiltre, which looks and feels quite like PSP4, but with a few refinements. What really impresses me is that the download is under 2MB - anyone who can program a full photo editor in that amount of space has my respect.

www.gimp.org/

photofiltre.en.softonic.com/
Length of CD-R discs - 1400ted
Do blank discs all have the same length of recording time , or do they vary ?
I have recently embarked on a project to get all my favourite vinyl LPs on disc.
I have an ION turntable with uses Audacity software and seems to work well.
I can easily put both sides on a disc but when I recorded a double album it told me there was too much for one disc.
If I knew how much I could get on, I could keep an eye on the time counter and stop before the appropriate time was up.
Trying to do 2 albums a night while I read the forum....only take me another 47 years ! :-)

Ted
Length of CD-R discs - bell boy
i wouldnt put them all on disc as quality varies and nobody has worked out how long they will last
i have my favourite discs on hard drive and put whatever i want onto my mp3 player for holidays or my mp3 stick player that works via fm for the car/truck
i get my lps out and just play a few each week to savour the quality over any cd system anytime anyplace anywhere

Edited by bell boy on 21/10/2009 at 00:19

Length of CD-R discs - Stuartli
>>i have my favourite discs on hard drive>>

That's probably a less safe method than using disks (in combination and as backup); hard drives can pack up at any time.

If you use top quality CD/DVD media from the likes of Taiyo Yuden and look after them properly they will last many years; Imation (generally re-badged Taiyo Yuden media) claims its DVD media will last up to 100 years (don't ask me how it knows!)

A standard audio CD music album will fit on a CD-R (they can hold up to 700MB, although a little room is needed for overheads). A blank disk's capacity is normally detailed on the packaging, but there are standard capacities for CDs and DVDs.
Length of CD-R discs - Rattle
Hiya Ted,

An Audio CD will usualy hold around 640MB-720MB. This typicaly around 20 songs per disc but it does depend how long each song is in minutes. I think generaly each CD can hold 74 minutes if that helps :).

You could store all your files as MP3 then you could get at least 100 songs onto each CD but it they won't play on HIFI systems or in most car stereos. Some modern car CD players can read MP3s though.
Length of CD-R discs - 1400ted
Thanks Rats and BB. I won't be junking all my LPs...just storing them in the loft where they've been for 20 odd years.....unplayed.
I can also hold 77 hours in the Audacity memory so I'm only going to delete some if it gets too full
About 70 mins should give me an idea....I put 3 sides on one earlier ok but as Ratboy say, all tracks and records vary in length.
Recorded one yesterday dating from 1906 and it sounds excellent...maybe cylinder recorded.
I'm sure Giuseppe Di Luca would spin in his grave if he knew he sounded like one of the Chipmunks when being recorded !
Ted
Length of CD-R discs - Dynamic Dave
but it does depend how long each song is in minutes. I think generaly each
CD can hold 74 minutes if that helps :).

It also depends on the bit rate size as well. An mp3 file converted to 120kbps takes up less file space than the same file converted to 320kbps. If you're not too fussy about high end quality, then you'll get more tracks on the same disc if they're a lower bit rate size.
Length of CD-R discs - Rattle
I think Ted might be making audio CDs if that is the case the bit rate is not an issue just song length.
Length of CD-R discs - Altea Ego
Yes stick your lenth of recordings to 70 minutes max and you will be ok. Sometimes if you push close the 74 minute barrier the burning software says it wil fit but sometimes creates a coffee coaster, or a cd that can only be read in some CD players.
Length of CD-R discs - Stuartli
If you use Nero for burning your audio tracks perhaps by dragging and dropping files into the folder to be burned (I'm sure that Roxio will probably be similar), the bottom half of the screen will display how much of the disk's capacity is being taken up; there are coloured marks to indicate the 700MB limit.
Length of CD-R discs - Dynamic Dave
I think Ted might be making audio CDs if that is the case the bit rate is not an issue just song length.

Yes, I forgot. I burn MP3's directly to CDR as my head unit is capable of playing MP3's and depending on what size the MP3 file is, governs how many tracks I can squeeze on a disc.
Length of CD-R discs - SpamCan61 {P}
Sort of on topic I've got a 25 pack of 90 minute CD-Rs at home I bought for digitising my old C90 tapes. Judging by the lack of availability of this length of disc before or since I assume they were pushing the storage limits a little too far.
Hidden cookies - L'escargot
I?ve set CCleaner to keep 26 cookies and to delete the rest. If after running CCleaner I run a scan with my security programme, Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper, this says it has scanned 82 cookies. Why doesn?t CCleaner know about the 56 difference? Where are they? Or have I misinterpreted the situation?

Edited by L'escargot on 21/10/2009 at 10:02

Hidden cookies - jbif
Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper, this says it has scanned 82 cookies. >>

I have no experience of using that software, but perhaps you may be able to tweak its settings to show/list the cookies that it is scanning.

Hidden cookies - L'escargot
I suppose I should have asked "Why doesn't CCleaner delete the 56 cookies?".
Windows 7 - J Bonington Jagworth
I've advised a few people (who asked) to wait until the end of this week to buy a new laptop, as new ones will come with the newer and better Windows 7 installed (from tomorrow, apparently, although the official release date is Friday).

What intrigues me is that MS are not making it easy for people who have bought a computer with Vista installed to upgrade. Indeed, if you bought one with Vista Basic, you have no upgrade rights at all, and even if you have the qualifying 'premium' version, you have to request a 'free' DVD from the manufacturer, who will charge anything up to £35 for 'handling' and, in some cases, do a completely clean install!

There must be thousands of new laptops in warehouses with Vista on, but who's going to buy them once the Win7 option appears on the shelf? I anticipate some heavy discounting...
Windows 7 - Altea Ego
Most machines preloaded with Vista come with a free upgrade voucher to 7even and have done for a few months

Very few machines get sold with vista basic.

Oh and amazon shipped me a copy of 7even yesterday. I have a private client build to do now

Edited by Altea Ego on 21/10/2009 at 23:47

Windows 7 - colinh
"free upgrade voucher""

"...However, a PC Pro investigation into 11 leading PC manufacturers reveals that the vast majority of PC firms are charging customers to redeem the vouchers.

PC manufacturers are justifying the charges on the grounds of handling fees, additional support and the cost of producing additional media.

Toshiba is the most expensive, charging customers £27.90 to send out the upgrade discs. Lenovo, Sony and HP all charge in excess of £20, while Dell wouldn't confirm the extent of its "shipping and handling fees".

Only two of the PC manufacturers we surveyed - British manufacturers Mesh and Chillblast - are not charging customers to send out the discs...."
"Very few machines get sold with vista basic."

By you, perhaps! And in China, of course... :-)

www.newlaunches.com/archives/only_244_copies_of_ge...p
Windows 7 - jbif
experiences of Windows 7 as reported on a usually anti-MS website:

www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/21/windows_7_reader_.../
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/21/windows_7_reader_.../

one says: ".... Phil, a self-confessed Linux fan, was more restrained, but after upgrading Vista on a work laptop, declared: "I'm fairly impressed really." ... "

Amazon and a few others shipped Win7 dvds early to customers to avoid postal strike holding up delivery on official launch date of 22 Oct 09.

Edited by jbif on 22/10/2009 at 00:39

"..although the official release date is Friday"

Sorry - can't read a calendar. It's today, of course.
Currys already have a Win7 and a Vista aisle. I anticipate some heavy discounting soon!
Windows 7 Download Problems - audiA6tdi
Is anyone else having the same problems downloading Windows 7 for those that have not purchased it on disc?

The downloads are controlled by Digital River and I get the following error when clicking on the link Microsoft have emailed me...

By the way I have only clicked on the link twice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry,

Too many download attempts: 20. You were allowed to download only 10 times.

If you have any questions, please contact Digital River Customer Service at CustomerServices@digitalriver.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 Download Problems - jbif
Is anyone else having the same problems downloading Windows 7 >>

tinyurl.com/yzjx6cx

Edited by jbif on 22/10/2009 at 18:07

Windows 7 Download Problems - audiA6tdi
already looked on the web but no one has a solution for it.

Im on the phone to microsoft now - they have given me a new link. The number if anyone needs it is 0800 5871102.
distribution of emails to members of a group - maz64
I would like to have some sort of system where sending an email to a single address results in it getting sent to a group of addresses (this is for members of a concert/wind band).

You get this functionality with (for example) a Yahoo Group - you send an email to the group address and it gets distributed to all members of the group. And indeed I set a group up for this purpose.

However the problem with a Yahoo Group is that every one you want to send emails to has to be a member of the group, which means creating a Yahoo profile if you don't have one already. Now while I'm sure members of the BR wouldn't have any trouble doing this, it turned out to be too difficult for a significant proportion of the band.

So what I'm looking for is a simpler facility that allows someone (ie. me) to create an email account which, when an email is sent to it, will forward the email on to a predefined (by me) list of arbitrary addresses (the band members). It's also important that only emails containing a certain keyword in the subject line (eg. band name initials) get forwarded, so spam emails don't get redistributed.

It's possible that one of the web-based email accounts can do this - I know Gmail will filter and forward incoming emails on to a single address.

I've Googled but not found anything - any suggestions?

F
distribution of emails to members of a group - SpamCan61 {P}
Gmail allows you to create a distribution list - or contact group as they call it, so using the filtering rules to forward the mail to a contact group should do the job I think :-

mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer...0
it so using the filtering rules to forward the mail to a contact group should
do the job I think :-

Thanks, but it appears you can only forward to an email address, not a group. If you enter a group name it says 'Invalid forwarding address. Address is malformed'.
distribution of emails to members of a group - Manatee
I think any mail client, if you use one, will enable you to set up groups; Thunderbird certainly does and I use them. That would seem to be the easiest solution unless you use different computers.
I think any mail client if you use one will enable you to set up
groups;

Yes, but that doesn't help. I want incoming emails to be automatically forwarded to the group, so members of the group can email everyone else in the group without everyone having to maintain their own group list. Sorry for not being clear.
>>Sorry for not being clear.

and I for not RTBQing properly. I wonder what happens if you give a group a name that looks like an email address...can't believe it'll fall for that though!
distribution of emails to members of a group - NorfolkDriver
Focus,

If you use a client, once the group has been set up the next step is to set up a "rule".

i.e. when a message comes in, check if its from Miss X, if so send it to Group Y.

I do it for another forum as some members cannot receive emails from the forum owner so I just "bounce" them on.

i.e. when a message comes in check if its from Miss X if so send
it to Group Y.

But which clients/email providers allow you to do that? I know Gmail doesn't, and neither does Yahoo mail I don't think.

Edited by Focus {P} on 22/10/2009 at 23:22

I think Thunderbird might. Looking at the 'filters' set up it can do say

if 'to' is '[email address]'
then forward to [email address]
and forward to...
and forward to...

I haven't checked if there's a maximum number of 'ands', or if one group address can be used instead of email addresses.
I think Thunderbird might. Looking at the 'filters' set up it can do say

Thanks Manatee, but thinking about it, if it's a feature provided by the email client, then it's not going to work when I'm not running the client. What I'm after I guess is a server-side(?) feature that will work irrespective of what I'm doing.

It might that what you're describing is a function of the email provider, which Thunderbird is allowing you to configure. In which case, which provider are you using?
>>which provider are you using?

Gmail IMAP, but I'm sure you're right, it will only happen when T'bird is started/running.
distribution of emails to members of a group - NorfolkDriver
Ah, wasnt thinking of it running 24/7. Is this vital?

Dont think there is a web based mail system that will handle this.
Ah wasnt thinking of it running 24/7. Is this vital?

Highly desirable I think - the idea is that band members can hold a conversation via email, which they won't be able to do if it's not 24/7 and I'm on holiday for a week.
Dont think there is a web based mail system that will handle this.

I suspect you're right. In which case, I'm going to ask another question...
Web-based app for forwarding emails - maz64
Following on from www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79430&...e

In summary, I want members of a group to be able to send an email to a single group email address, with the result that the email is forwarded to all group members. The group members do not have to become members of an internet-based group (which rules out Yahoo Groups, which would otherwise do what I want). The service should function 24/7. The group members only need to know the group email address.

So a question for you web gurus - assuming I've got some web space with an email address and it can host cgi scripts, could I write a script to do what I'm after?

I'm a real-time embedded C programmer by profession, but I've written some Java and Javascript albeit not web apps, and know a bit about HTML.
Web-based app for forwarding emails - NorfolkDriver
If you have web space, why not just set up a phpBB? Some people dont like receiving tons of email, some may even be on dial up so may get pretty hacked off with the amount.

I read this board, but dont read every thread. If it were email based I would probably unsubscribe pretty quickly.

If you have web space why not just set up a phpBB?

I'll have a look - thanks for the suggestion. (BTW I'm trying to find a summary of what the BB users get, but most of the documentation (understandably) appears to be about how to set it up.)

Without knowing what it offers, my main worry is that it will require users to create an account. Simple as this sounds, this will put off a significant number of the band members, who have only just mastered sending emails. Which is why all I'm looking for is an email forwarding service, not a forum/bulletin board.

I take your point about not wanting to read every topic on a forum like HJ, but I'm not anticipating that much traffic despite earlier talking about 'conversations'. The service would mainly be for band announcements eg. rehearsal canceled.
Web-based app for forwarding emails - ifithelps
Resign and form a trio. :)
BTW I should add that personally I don't currently have any web space, although the band does have a website. I don't know anything about how it works, although I do know the member who runs it.

www.beechhillband.co.uk/

Concert on Saturday in Basingstoke if anyone's interested :-)
Web-based app for forwarding emails - Dipstick
Doesn't your (or more likely, the band's) ISP offer this? I've just looked at my (never normally used) Virgin email, and they allow you to simply set up mail forwarding to a list of addresses separated by commas. Bit clunky but would work.

The flip side is that all mail to that account would go to the list, but if the account is only for this purpose it might be ok.

I would have assumed all isp's offer something similar. Gmail/Yahoo don't, because they assume you are using Google/Yahoo Groups for this, as I read the situation, which you don't want.
Doesn't your (or more likely the band's) ISP offer this?

Well blow me - I'm with Tiscali, but never used their email so I'd pretty much forgotten it was there. But I've just gone in and had a look, and you can set up a filter to (say) match all incoming emails with bhcb in the subject, and take an action to forward it to a specified address.

And most importantly, unlike Gmail, it looks like you can add as many actions as you like, so it can be forwarded to multiple addresses. Not quite as specifying a group of addresses, but it'll do.

This might be the answer - and it was right under my nose all the time. Apologies, and thanks.
Web-based app for forwarding emails - NorfolkDriver
BTW I should add that personally I don't currently have any web space although the
band does have a website. I don't know anything about how it works although I
do know the member who runs it.
www.beechhillband.co.uk/

I would contact the person that runs the site and ask them to set up an email address that would then auto forward from the server. Seems the easiest option. Apologies for suggesting the phpBB earlier, didnt realise you already had a site.

Having looked at your site, come on let us all into it, which one is FOCUS? :) Dont tell me, you were taking the picture!!
Web-based app for forwarding emails - Stuartli
See:

office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011502011033....x

office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102276681033....x

tinyurl.com/yksdq5r

tinyurl.com/yrh8tf

kb.firehost.com/questions/20/How+to+automatically+...l

forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1048138.htm
Stuart - it looks like I've cracked it, thanks.
Web-based app for forwarding emails - Stuartli
Glad you've cracked it. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees...:-)

Mind you, I left Tiscali for TalkTalk three and a half years ago and I've had a much more satisfying life ever since.....:-))
Web-based app for forwarding emails - buzbee
Focus emailing a group

Emailing a group using a single email to any one member of the group, requires that each member of the group has set up that distribution facility. Any member who has not done that will not be forwarding the email to the group in that manner.

Another way to address the group, is to assemble all the addresses of the individuals of the group in your own address book under a name such as Band.

You then just email Band. Your PC with Thunderbird will interpret that request as requiring an email to be sent to all those members. I do it regularly. Including your own address is optional but can be used as a check to see what was sent.

Emailing a group using a single email to any one member of the group requires
that each member of the group has set up that distribution facility.

Thanks, but that's what I was specifically trying to avoid, and what I have avoided using the method described above.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79430&...e
I would contact the person that runs the site and ask them to set up
an email address that would then auto forward from the server.

Thanks ND - I was going to try that next, then discovered that my Tiscali account appears to have what I need.
Having looked at your site come on let us all into it which one is
FOCUS? :) Dont tell me you were taking the picture!!

I'm the good looking one, naturally :-)
Web-based app for forwarding emails - Dipstick
"I'm the good looking one, naturally :-)"

I never pictured you as a cute red head with open toed sandals before, but hey, you live and learn.

Web-based app for forwarding emails - jbif
"I'm the good looking one, naturally :-)" >>

Gavin.

Gavin.

...who is a rugby player and drives a big Jeep Commander, which he needs to carry his tuba around :-)

(My sister played tuba when young, and I can't remember which car we had at the time, but we could only just fit the instrument in - but not when it was in its case.)
Firefox problem - nick62
I have run Mozilla Firefox very sucessfully on my PC (laptop) for as long as I can remember with no problems (running XP pro).

I decided to update the "family" desktop today with Firefox 3.5 (XP home), but despite turning off the Windows firewall (and making Firefox the default browser, etc.), it will not connect. The browser opens, but just will not connect and I get the message.......check network connection, check firewall, etc. etc.

If I revert back to IE6, the browser works!

Help please before I go insane!!!

Firefox problem - bell boy
put it on
go to file top left
open file
unclick work offline
Firefox problem - nick62
put it on
go to file top left
open file
unclick work offline

No that is not the problem (and it wasn't set to "work offline" anyway, but thanks for the suggestion!
Firefox problem - nick62
Tried updating to IE8 instead of Firefox (was running IE6), but gave an identical problem!!!!

Windows (and the operator no doubt)!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2009 at 20:58

Firefox problem - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/4p6yxc

kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%...9
Microsoft Word - Compatability? - drbe
I have been sent an email containing an image. When I attempt to open the file I get a message to the effect"This file has been sent using a later version of Microsoft Word. Would you like to download a compatability update?"

I clip on 'yes', the download window opens, I click on 'download', I then get a message to the effect that this file could be harmful, with a box saying 'accept' or 'discard', I click on accept and when the countdown has finished - nothing. When I try to open the file again, the whole procedure restarts, all over again.

Any ideas please?
Microsoft Word - Compatability? - Manatee
May not be relevant but Word 2007 makes .docx files IIRC which can't be opened by Word 97-2003. Openoffice will open them though - can you detach the file and try opening with that? What extension has the file?

Alternatively,if it is a Word 2007 file, ask the sender to re-save as a 97-2003 file and mail it again.
Microsoft Word - Compatability? - maz64
When I try to open the file again the whole procedure restarts all over again.
Any ideas please?

Try without anti-virus running, assuming it is?
Microsoft Word - Compatability? - Victorbox
I've always just manually downloaded it and installed it on our PC's that need it from here tinyurl.com/2xp8e3
Laptop Screen Orientation - borasport20
I know there is a combination of keystrokes on my Toshiba laptop that will change the screen orientation from landscape to portrait, but I can't remember what, or find any mention elsewhere, and couldn't find it yesterday despite trying many combination of shift,ctrl,fnc and alt yesterday

anybody know ?
Laptop Screen Orientation - Stuartli
It would appear that it's a Toshiba utility. See:

toshiba-180-degrees-rotation-utility.software.info.../

There's a 1.2 version as well but not on this site.

Or, preferably, try the Toshiba Support pages:

eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/downloa...p

You may also find the feature from Display Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Graphics tab (if listed).

Edited by Stuartli on 26/10/2009 at 15:41