New Chinese electric car 400km range - maz64
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8315947.stm

BYD says that its new E6 electric car due out before the end of the year will do 250 miles (400km) on a single charge.

This is a very big number. The Tesla electric sports car does almost as much, but has little room for anything else in the car but the battery.

The E6 is roomy with space for five passengers and a good-sized boot. The battery tucks under the back seat.

It needs 7-8 hours with a domestic plug to charge the car but BYD - it stands for Build Your Dreams - says a specially developed fast charging point with a lead the diameter of a fire hose will fill up the car in just one hour.

You can get half a charge in only 10 minutes.

If these claims are accurate and if BYD can persuade either the Chinese government or a Chinese city to install a network of the fast chargers, then this large hatchback could be the vehicle that makes the breakthrough for electric cars.

[see link for more]
New Chinese electric car 400km range - madf
" says a specially developed fast charging point with a lead the diameter of a fire hose will fill up the car in just one hour."

300ah ?

Unlikely to fit domestic mains supply...

New Chinese electric car 400km range - Dipstick
Spookily enough, I've just been reading about another Chinese electric enterprise - the bus that runs with ultracapacitors rather than batteries. The link is below, but in brief although it can run only a couple of miles on a charge, it recharges in less than a minute or two at each stop. Huge savings over diesel in fuel and CO2 terms apparently.

Truly, we live in interesting times. (Do you see what I did there?)

www.technologyreview.com/energy/23754/
New Chinese electric car 400km range - b308
£30k?! Until it gets to around £10k it will never seriously challenge the ic engine...
New Chinese electric car 400km range - CGNorwich
If these claims are accurate

~but of course they're not. There is no currentn battery technology that will power a 5 seat car with 250 miles range with a battery small enough to fit under the back seat. If this small company had that technology the world would be beating a path to its door rather than the company casting around for funding , Sadly just hype.
but there again they may be right!

www.byd.com/highlight.php?index=2

Interesting web site.
New Chinese electric car 400km range - FotheringtonThomas
but there again they may be right!

It's coming fast. Whether or not this particular example does exactly what it says (there are conflicting texts on specification) it will add to the effort currently being put into such things - the reward for success will be *huge*, and there will be a lot of companies currently involved in oil who want some stake in it.
New Chinese electric car 400km range - carl_a
If these claims are accurate
~but of course they're not. There is no currentn battery technology that will power a
5 seat car with 250 miles range with a battery small enough to fit under
the back seat. If this small company had that technology the world would be beating
a path to its door rather than the company casting around for funding Sadly just
hype.

This "tiny" company sells more than most "big" companies you've heard of. The funding for them isn't a problem they only let the worlds richest man buy 10% of the company, he wanted 25% but they wouldn't accept. It seems there is only one thing inaccurate here and its not the BYD company...

New Chinese electric car 400km range - Altea Ego
This "tiny" company sells more than most "big" companies you've heard of. The funding for
them isn't a problem they only let the worlds richest man buy 10% of the
company he wanted 25% but they wouldn't accept. It seems there is only one thing
inaccurate here and its not the BYD company...

No they are not inaccurate, they are lying. The battery technology does not exist that

a: will fit under a back seat and power a 5 seater for 250 miles on a charge
b: go for 125 miles on a 10 minute charge

sniff sniff, cow? no bull.
New Chinese electric car 400km range - zookeeper
how the ferrous battery works ? im intreeged
New Chinese electric car 400km range - Sofa Spud
I'm skeptical about the claims for this car too. But................

The battery breakthrough could be around the corner - I've gleaned from the net (serious sites) that various research projects have designed or built experimental batteries with energy densities several times as great as that of the best lithium ion ones, but the cost is huge and the big challenge is in productionising these concepts.

What is interesting is that the motor industry has become very serious about electric cars in the last year or two, more or less on the basis that they are expecting the battery breakthroughs and want to be prepared when they arrive. In the meantime, range-extender hybrids are a good compromise and much of their technology would be relevant to pure electric cars too.

Supercapacitors look like they have a role to play because they can be charged and discharged so rapidly - good for regenerative braking, but linked to batteries as power source.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 20/10/2009 at 20:47

New Chinese electric car 400km range - FotheringtonThomas
they are not inaccurate they are lying

I can't see the point of "them" lying. The truth will out pretty soon, and we'll see then. Just have to wait a short while.
I wouldn't suppose they are lying either. It is however in the Company's short term interest to maintain their share price which the current media hype is more than achieving .

I think I said small not tiny Carl. Warren buffet's investment of 231 million dollars amounts to not much more than a speculative punt when looking at the amounts involved in the car industry. BYD autos is valued at 2.3 billion dollars. for comparison Fiat, a mid sized car company is valued at 77 billion. BYD autos is a small motor manufacturer.
New Chinese electric car 400km range - carl_a
"If this small company" I believe you said. Of course 4 billion dollar turnover and around $200 million profit. Small by car company standards but I'd class them as a large company.

BYD don't have the main part of their business in auto, the largest percentage is electronics.
New Chinese electric car 400km range - T Lucas
A surprising range of cars aswell.Its going to be scarey for Euro manufactures when the Chinese really start to export to Europe.