1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - David Horn
Posting this on behalf of my sister, who has an LGV license and regularly drives 7.5 tonne and larger horse boxes.

Driving a 7.5 tonne box last night she suffered a punctured rear tyre. Pulled into services and called recovery firm who brought and fitted new tyre. Received a stern ticking off from them after they checked the tyre pressures on the other rear wheels, all of which were down to about 30 psi.

However, she doesn't know* where to look to find out what the correct pressures should be. The tyre fitter didn't know exactly (put 80 psi in which seemed about right to me), but it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Anyone know the correct place to look?

* Sister gained license on one-week government funded training course. I was (and remain) exceptionally sceptical of the quality of the drivers going through this course if they don't know:

(a) to check tyre pressures on an LGV regularly and
(b) roughly what those pressures should be.

** Why isn't there a "misc" category for make/model?

{Re:- your 'misc' question, the sticky post When Posting A New Question To Technical Matters that tells you how to post to Technical Matters when the make/model drop down menu doesn't have what you're looking for}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/10/2009 at 01:41

1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - cheddar
Sister gained license on one-week government funded training course. I was (and remain) exceptionally sceptical of the quality of the drivers going through this course if they don't know: >>

Anyone who passed their test before, as I recall, Jan 1997 can drive a 7.5 tonner on a car licence.
1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - bell boy
For a ford D series the tyre pressures listed in my factory workshop manuals depends obviously on what tyres and weights and axles but the psi is between 85 and 105 so you are quite near.
Remember these rims have a slip ring so dont mess with them leave them to an expert tyre fitter.
1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - David Horn
Thanks Bell Boy.

My concern is that they spend 4 days on this course (no pre-selection aptitude tests or anything) and finish able to drive anything that isn't articulated.

Thinking about the pre-1997 drivers, the only time you really see dangerous driving from them is on the motorways when they're unaware of the momentum of the lorry and do 70mph +.
1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - TheOilBurner
Difficult to do that now, as all the 7.5t trucks are limited to 60mph, aren't they? Even the larger Sprinter etc is, isn't it?
1989 7.5 tonne lorry - tyre pressures - Simon
>>Difficult to do that now, as all the 7.5t trucks are limited to 60mph, aren't they?

No, only the ones registered after a certian date (1st October 2001 I think) require speed limiters.

As for the tyre pressure, with a lack of the proper tyre size and vehicle information I would say that stick about 90psi in them and you won't be far out.