Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - jacks
My son has had a Ford Ka - P reg - for the last 2 yrs, he's nearly 20 so insurance is still an issue (1 yr NCB, will be 2 yrs in June). Unfortunately some so and so hit the Ka whilst my son was stationary but the individual is refusing to accept any responsibility - saying they both pulled away together and clipped each other, a blatent lie but no witnesses. Police called and breathalysed both drivers - both were fine - but just said it's a RTA with no witnesses "sort it out yourselves". Which on reflection was all they could reasonably do.

So we're stuffed. The Ka will cost more to fix (damaged door, wing) than it's worth so we're looking for something cheap to insure and hopefully a bit more robust.

I've read on here that the 1.6 8v is a pretty tough engine and it's only Group 4 insurance.

I've identified a Y plate 1.6 Club in silver with 85K miles A/C and MOT to 09/2010
and
a W plate 1.6LS in bottle Green with 89K with 6 months MOT

Same price for both 5 dr hatchbacks

Both are for sale at reasonably local independent garages, and both establishments have full workshop facilities and are long established businesses who both repair, service and sell cars.

Can anyone tell me the cambelt change interval, anything to watch out for on this model.
Is it a good choice? I've read the C by C but any owner or first hand experiences would be most welcome.

They are both up at £1695, which might seem high to some but here in rural Gloucestershire cars are dearer and a lot of the one's on ofer at around £1000 - £1200 had much higher mileages (120-150K) and were all at the type of "bombsite" dealers who
will probably be operating under a different name in 3 months time!
I hope to offer and pay £1500 which doesn't seem unrealistic??

Thank you for any advice

Jacks

Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - Number_Cruncher
Both should have recently had a belt at 80k.

However, it might be better if they haven't been touched, because I would be tempted to fit a new waterpump and thermostat while the belt is off, and it's almost certain that the selling garage will not have done this even if they had put a new belt on, and even if they had, they would doubtlessly not have used decent anti freeze, or replaced the tensioner / bearing [although the tensioner and bearing is a very solid and well made item].

Fitting a new cam belt, water pump and thermostat to these engines is simplicity itself, and well within the scope of even a fairly inexperienced DIYer.

Although SWMBO's Astra 1600 8 valve is a bit newer than these, and just coming up to 65k, we haven't had any serious bother with it, recent work being a purely routine exhaust rear silencer, and a broken coil spring.

If aircon is important to you, check the lower edge of the condensor, these can come away in the area where the front bumper mounts, causing a leak.

Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - jacks
Thanks NC

Fitting a new cam belt water pump and thermostat to these engines is simplicity itself
and well within the scope of even a fairly inexperienced DIYer.

>>

I don't think I would be doing this, nowadays I restrict my DIY to oil and filter changes!

Would you care to hazard a guess as to how much this work would cost at decent independent garage?

If indeed the work has not been done I can factor that into the negotiations.

The reason I asked about CC change intervals is that on HJ's C by C it mentioned a reduction to 40K intervals but it was not clear wether this applied to the 8v 1.6.
I think you're saying it does?

Not botherered about A/C but if fitted I would want it to work so I will check.

regards

Jacks

Edited by jacks on 19/10/2009 at 00:54

Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - Rattle
I was put off because the belt needs to be removed to change a thermostat on these engines and knowing my look with cars the thermostat will fail on me. However I might consider one as my next car.

Downside to the 1.6 8v will be fuel consumption and road tax will be more expensive than the Ka.

Still seem to be very reliable cars. Try and get a half decent spec one as it will be much easier to sell.

Have you considered the Focus as well? I found that although they were higher groups insurance was actually cheaper than the Astra G. The 1.4 16v Focus was stupidly cheap to insure (Fiesta money) while the 1.6 16v was very cheap considering the power.

Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - DP
These are good cars. My brother in law bought one for his mum a couple of years ago (1.6 8v auto) and it's given no bother at all. She uses it for local running about and it's only needed routine maintenance and a couple of bulbs.

Nippy, economical and very pleasant to drive.

N_C - do these have the eccentrically mounted water pump which acts as the belt tensioner as per the older Vauxhall OHC engines? I don't think I've ever done a belt on one of these on which the pump didn't leak afterwards if it wasn't removed completely and its seal replaced. Always struck me as a daft piece of design on an otherwise bulletproof, easy to work on and thoroughly likeable series of engines.
Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - Number_Cruncher
The eccentric water pump is still there, but, there's also a double eccentric sprung tensioner which means that you don't need to disturb the waterpump if you're just changing the belt.

Having said that, when doing the old fashioned ones, I used to just slip the old belt off, and the new one on. If the tension of the new belt was OK, then, I left the water pump well alone. Yes, if you did need to move the pump, you usually ended up fitting a new seal - unless the last mechanic to have it apart was helpful and had packed the O ring well with rubber grease!

Buying 8v 1.6 Astra G for son - any tips please? - redviper
Good Honest workhorse, - not a drivers car but defintly a credible workhorse

I have owned one, its reliabilty (apart from a few resolveable issues) and cheapness of consumables (exhausts, brake pads etc) was a tick in my book

Im quite tall, and over long distances found it uncomfortable, i also found the suspension to stiff for my tastes, and the steering although nice and light absoultly no feedback from the road wheels, you are completly seperate from the road.

due to its oversized radiator it ran too cool in winter, but not really a problem in summer as a result of this and due to the short trips i did it had a bit of mayo under the fuel cap - a nice long run got rid of that.

if you do get one apperantly there was a software update that bypassed the EGR valve (although my Vauxhall dealer could not confirm whether mine was done or not, not even that there was actually a software update) apperntly this improves the running of the car

Pros
Still looks good
Releiable
Cheap
decent specs (air con etc)
roomy for your passangers and luggage (not quite so for me)
Good workhorse

Cons
Overcooled
(As Rattle has mentioned) Timing belt has to come off to change the thermostat
Not a drivers car

Edited by redviper on 19/10/2009 at 13:42