How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - gordonbennet
I can hear the groans already...another tyre thread.

The thread on worst budget tyres had a lot of interest for me, especially when Hamsafar dropped a link in to this years Autocar test of budget tyres.

I had a chat to my son today about the tests, he buys good tyres too.
But he asked a pertinent question, were the tyres tested 'bedded in', a strange term which really more rightly means scrubbing the releasing agent from the tread before the tyre can give it's full potential.

These tests could be flawed in the respect that some tyres will bed in very quickly, whilst others take several hundred or more miles to do so...could these tests be fixed in theory by a favoured tyre being professionally cleaned off?

It could be interesting to hear how long our tyres take before giving the sure footed feel of fully bedded/scrubbed in.

Toyo's on my car almost immediately, maybe 100 miles.
Yokohama summers on the pick up about 2000 miles, Vredestein winter tyres must have been buffed at manufacture, full grip immediately.
Tyres on my work truck about 1 month...say 5000 miles depending on make...drive axle most noticeable.

Have others noticed this.
How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - Alby Back
Middle grade boots such as Pirellis and Contis seem to take about 500 miles or so to settle in. That may be longer than most would experience given the the higher than average level of motorway content included in most of my journeys. Perhaps tyres which spent their first couple of hundred miles stopping, starting and turning more would scrub in sooner.

Stating the obvious to most but worth just reminding any owner of newly fitted tyres to re-check the pressures ASAP. Don't think I've ever had them set exactly right by a fitter and occasionally they have been startlingly over or underinflated.
How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - Pugugly
Well known in motorcycling world. First few miles are taken gingerly (if you know anything as a biker), especially in the wet - lingering evidence can still be found on tyres for many miles after they are first put on. Have a look a the rear tyre of a performance bike - there is a very narrow line between being a bit of a wuss and an idiot which is easy to spot.
How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - zookeeper
thats funny, i dont remember signing a disclaimer for any possible sub standard performance last time i had my fronts replaced a while back at the fitters?
How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - L'escargot
According to this tinyurl.com/ygm6n22 you should drive at moderate speeds for the first 125 to 200 miles.

There's lots of other information about tyres as well.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/10/2009 at 08:54

How long to bed tyres in/scrub them in. - George Porge
Tyre mould release solution is silicone based, it needs to be worn off before you start hooning around bends.