Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - lou30
Hi
Am new to the forum and car buying in general so sorry for any silly questions!
My partner is about to buy a 55 plate Peugeot 206 and on the HPI check a
mileage discrepancy came up:

06 Sep 2006 BVRLA 10,268
18 Sep 2006 BVRLA 30,804
22 Sep 2006 NMR 10,000
22 Sep 2006 NMR 10,270

The car now has 24,000 miles, it was a lease car for the first 6 months (hence the high milage between Feb and Sep 2006) and then privately owned til part exed in July this year.
We have asked the seller about the strange high reading for 18 Sep, he is convinced it must be an inputting error- I'm inclined to agree as it seems almost impossible to put on 20,000 miles in that space of time...?

Or should we be worried? Is there any way we can find out more about what has happened?

BTW the car seems in good condition, minimal wear and tear, the front tyres need replacing (which the seller will include).

Many thanks in advance!
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - Falkirk Bairn
Walk

There are plenty others without a smell of fish.
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - DP
I agree. There are currently 7,013 Peugeot 206s for sale on Autotrader. Shouldn't be too hard to find one without any question marks.
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - mikeyb
Lease car for six months? More likely ex hire car.

Would imagine that at 24K the tyres on a little 206 might just still be the OE's so should be the same as the rears......worth a look to see if they match.

You could try the lease / hire company - they may tell you what it had when it left them
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - Altea Ego
Its an ex hire car for sure (they get rid at 6 months or 10-12k which ever comes first) and that 30k entry has to be a mistake.

The front tyres will go to 20-30k miles, so if they are worn to minimum and the same make as the rears then the milage sounds genuine.
Thank you for the very speedy replies!
I think I will try and check with the lease or hire company first before I give up on it, thanks.
Didn't realise that about hire cars, thanks Altea ego, and will definitely check the tyres tomorrow as well.
Cheers!
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - Armitage Shanks {p}
Apart from the great big error the mileages listed are inconsistent in that they decrease with time rather than increase; not by much I agree but it is a bit odd.
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - oldnotbold
Could be as simple as an input error - it will have been typed in by someone, almost certainly.
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - I'm a Pane
Had something similar when I traded in a car last year.
The second mileage is almost certainly wrong ?10804 and the next two are likely to be someone entering approximate mileages for a HPI check. Whenever a HPI check is done (car traded in/owner check etc) the mileage is asked for and whatever is input recorded.

In my case the car ended up with a list of about 10 different mileages recorded during a 2 month period whilst I tried (and eventually succeeded) in getting a DVLA error removed from the report, and had myself and the dealer independently doing HPI checks to see if the error had indeed been removed.

If you like the car, get someone more knowledgable to look at it and check if the actual recorded mileage agrees with wear/condition etc. HPI are far from infallible, and there are no verifications on data - it is just reported as input unless someone goes through a long winded process to get rid of anything entered by mistake.

Edited by Everest Pete on 06/10/2009 at 20:14

Thanks Pete, interesting to hear from someone else who's had this problem!
Have been on the phone to HPI's mileage register team, and they have agreed it seems like an input error but they are looking into it more for me. Hopefully I would also be able to get it removed.
Cheers everyone for your advice. Will post the outcome!
Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - daveyjp
It may not be a hire car in terms of a different driver every day. My wife's company has a new Peugeot on a 6 month lease.

Dealer gets a car registered, wife's company get a cheap lease car, second owner gets a discount on new.

Mileage discrepancy on HPI check - AlastairW
I think the clue is in the source of the mileage readings. BVRLA = British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association