buying what to look out for ? - mark.b
posted a couple of messages on here regarding a couple of cars i was interested in (626 / primera) the 626 was forgot about when we learnt of there poor safety in crashes, swmbo tried a primera out today , its too big for her to drive and the bonnets too long for her to see the front when parking , its looking like an almera is what i am going to end up with , is the 1.5 engine prone to timing chain problems , is the 1.5 any good or should i look for a 1.8
i am really getting desperate for advice regarding this car and advice will be very much appreciated , looking around an x/y plate what should i be paying
buying what to look out for ? - Alby Back
More or less anyone can drive any size of car unless they fall seriously outside the normal range of body size and shape. She just doesn't like the Primera. That in itself is fair enough. However, if that is the size you need or personally prefer, it might be worth asking SWMBO to open her mind a little.

Heh heh !
car was just too big for her and she didnt feel comfortable driving it just one of them things

Edited by mark.b on 04/10/2009 at 21:37

buying what to look out for ? - legacylad
Better not crash my 626 then! Looks like my £139 spent with the IAM creating 'safety zones' around the car was money well spent.
buying what to look out for ? - perro
I've driven everything from a 2 cylinder Fiat to a Bedford lorry, and I can tell ya size matters!
It may not matter on the open road, but in town - small is beautiful (IMO)
I had the 2ltr Primera - nice one!
My present car is a 1.8SE Almera and its a gem - the missus likes it too :)
Timing chains - bring em on! ... cam belts - yuk!
But, be weary of service history and mileage because although timing chin failure is (thankfully) a rarity - it can AND does happen.
Other than that, I can't really think of any other issues with these British built cars.
Lastly, the fuel consumption is quite good, considering its a fairly big(ish) engine, by todays standards (for small cars).
buying what to look out for ? - bathtub tom
All the QG--- engines of this era seemed to have the timing chain problem.

It seems that as long as they had their oil changed at the proper intervals they may have escaped the problem. Mines been done every 5-6K miles.

I've a '53 reg 1.5 I bought four years ago at 12K with full dealer history (it's now done 28K) and , touch wood, I've had no problems so far, apart from lambda sensor replaced under warranty (before Tesco petrol problem) and SRS light proving to be under passenger seat plug dirty (£70 for Nissan diagnostics to resolve and reset because it couldn't be done any other way - GRRR!).

My information was engine numbers up to 171933 were particularly prone to the problem, which may well affect the age range you're looking at.

I tried to find a 1.8 manual and realised they're almost as rare as hen's teeth. It seemed all auto's were 1.8 and manuals 1.5.

I've no problem with the 1.5, it's got VVT and red-lined at 6.5K (rev limiter comes in before 7K I guess, but I've never been watching the rev counter at the times I've hit the limiter ;>))

I found it better than the Focus it replaced (although I missed the turbo diesel grunt of the Focus), the load area particularly was an improvement - I was having to transport an elderley rellie and wheelchair at the time.

Mine's got the optional 16" ally wheels (195x55x16) and I'd rather have what I assume to be the improved comfort of the 15" steel wheels and much cheaper tyres, although it does go round corners very well. ;>)

Overall I'd say It's very much a case of 'it does what it says on the tin' type of car.
buying what to look out for ? - v0n
Reliability is fine but 1.5 is slightly underpowered - 1.8 would be better choice, as it offers better flexibility without almost any fuel economy impact in real life.
buying what to look out for ? - the swiss tony
Reliability is fine but 1.5 is slightly underpowered - 1.8 would be better choice as
it offers better flexibility without almost any fuel economy impact in real life.

in my experience a bigger engine often results in better economy, due to the engine not being worked so hard....
buying what to look out for ? - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Mark,
Actually this is not a bad car to chose. What is your budget?

Even 2005 cars can be had for £3,500 or so with low miles.

The car handles well, is fine inside, comfy enough and well equipped althought the switches / dash are very 1980's Japanese - reliable, not stylish.

I bought one for my wife a couple of years ago. Good size cabin, 1.5 has plenty of power (100hp) for such a car. Good crash testing results (4* NCAP).

The S model is the base model for the later cars like our 2005 one, and comes with AirCon, CD, ABS etc. SE and SVE have extras like parking sensors (SVE even has built-in SatNav!).

They are considered reliable and the liklyhood of you chosing one with the engine issue is I would guess small put against the small price for the car over a similar age / spec Focus or similar.

I would throughly recommend it.
thanks for all the info guys , slightlyfatdirector budget is only 2k tops so i am probably looking at around an x/y plate car , although i have a test drive booked in an 1.8sport on a 51 plate with 102k on it and he wants 3250 , only going out on a test to get a feel for one ,, tried joining the almera owners club to check out there feedback on the cars ,but could only join if i had a chassis number to enter on the reg form
buying what to look out for ? - Sam49
£3250?! Way way too much!

Anyway I have an X-reg 1.8 Sport. Now done 95,000 or so. I have put the last 40,000 on it over 4 years. I work it hard, it's scuffed and usually dirty but I reward it with a regular service.

It has never broken down. It has never not started. It has never worried me. I can drive around in it for 5 hours and still feel fresh. The dashboard is plasticky but I am not such a sad person that it concerns me at all.

It's very simple to drive round town, park and very capable on the motorway (sits around 80-85 peacefully)

They are accused of being dull but you don't see too many Sport or Sport+'s around compared to your similar age Focus or Golf's.

Go for one of the Sport ones as they do look nicer IMO and the 1.8 just has that extra bit of go when you need it. I can't imagine mine would be worth much more than a grand at best so 3,250 seems steep with that mileage.
buying what to look out for ? - Optimist
£3250?! Way way too much! >>

Agreed. Have a look on Auto Trader. There are several 1.8s with less than 60k for les than £2k.

I had a 1.8 SE+ auto for five and a half years. It went well and all it cost apart from standard service was a headlight bulb, a battery and work on the front door trims to seal them properly. Check the footwell for damp.

SE+ doesn't have the spoiler the Sport does, but comes with a tilt and slide sunroof and the interior trim, stereo etc is good. If you look around a bit you may find some decent low mileage examples because they were a popular choice for the older buyer.

buying what to look out for ? - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Mark,

I agree that £3,250 for the high miler is way over the top, but as you rightly say, good to have a drive and a feel for what a well worn example is like.

For your money there will be a lot more about and I suspect quite low miles and a newer reg than the X/Y area. If my wifes 2005 1.5S is worth £3,500 (down from £12,500 new 4 years ago) then you can see that a 51 plate should be £2k or less I would guess.

Considering that many were driven by people of 'advanced more mature years' (my wife resented the choice I suggested partly for that reason!) then a low mileage well looked after version should be well within your budget. Have a nose at Ebay for realistic pricing. Have a nose at the auctions too.

Good luck.
thanks guys for all the help and advice , the guys just phoned me from the garage i have booked the road test and said the car wont start , he has tried a new battery etc ,, just my luck, the search continues , did an ebay search not too many sub 2k

Edited by mark.b on 05/10/2009 at 21:28

buying what to look out for ? - retgwte
have a look at one of the last of the old model toyota corollas, 3 doors are especially good

would be my preference over an almera