Imported vehicles - paul2007
An imported car from Ireland, pre reg on 01/09/09 - on the road price sub 18500 quid. Saving of aprox 9k rrp, but real saving about 5k as local dealers will give a 5k discount.

It's ready for a right hand drive country.

Instead of the 3 year warrnty for uk cars, this has a 2 year from date of reg.

So what is the difference?

I'm talking about a motorpoint car.

Imported vehicles - Altea Ego
the difference is when you come to sell it. Probably ok as a private sale, but you wont get a good p/ex on it
Imported vehicles - Pugugly
Be OK in year four though won't it ?
thank u both. what i can not undrstan is other than the reduced warranty, its the same - so why the price diff intially and sale to dealer?
Imported vehicles - Pugugly
Is the speedo in Klicks ?
mph they said
Imported vehicles - jc2
Cars are not the same price in every EU country;manufacturers have to take into account the differing levels of taxation/VAT/car tax and other items-also Eire is a Euro territory so the exchange rate comes into the equation.
Imported vehicles - Lud
Is a year's warranty worth giving up for five thousand quid in your hand? One would think so with most cars.
Imported vehicles - Falkirk Bairn
3rd year Ford UK warranty is Insurance Warranty (£0 premium for UK buyers) - not full blown Manufacturer's warranty.

If worried at lack of 3rd yr cover buy a policy through Ford/Warranty Direct or another supplier!
Imported vehicles - daveyjp
Check the spec - Irish cars are sometimes lower spec due to how the car tax system works.

Imported vehicles - the swiss tony
Check the spec against UK standard spec.
things often 'missing' include:
Alarm
Immobilisers
ICE - may be lower spec, or missing totally
Tinted glass
Trim - may differ against equivalent badged UK car
Remote Locking

also the insurance company may load the premium.
Thank you al, as always!
Imported vehicles - Armstrong Sid
I wouldn't be too worried about it if you actually want the car in question

I've been there and done this one with no problems. In 1999 I had a new Focus from Motorpoint; I know it was an Irish spec because the handbook contained certain references. Also, as has been mentioned, it was an unusual spec. It was a 3-door with L spec trim, and a 1.6 Zetec engine. At that time such a combination of features was not available in Britain.

One slight problem, as someone else mentioned, was insurance. When I tried to get quotes a few companies said "sorry, that model isn't on our list, we don't want to know"; but others did and I was ok in the end.

It only had a 12 month warranty (this was 1999) when standard would've been 2 years, and I made a couple of claims at my local Ford dealer with no quibbles. I kept it 6 years; it was a great car, extremely reliable; I sold it to a friend who still has it.
Imported vehicles - Simon
If there is a real saving of around £5k then I would personally be very tempted by it. I am sure that if the spec differs slightly it won't be £5k's worth of difference and the car will still have most of the items fitted that you really use day to day anyway.

The longer you keep the car the less any potential difference in the value between that and a 'proper' UK sourced car will be when you come to sell.