96 1.8 (petrol/carb) erratic idle & cutting out - God Module
Hi ? I really need some advise !!!! ?.

.*******

OK ? I drive a 1996 MK3 GSX 1.8 carburator model ? For the past week the revs have been hunting between 950 and 1050 rpm at idle and only when at normal operating temp ? this didn?t bother me to much so I chose to overlook it !!! ?. Tonight, driving home it cut out on me about 12 times in a 8km drive ? When it cuts out , the revs just drop to zero? no stutter ?. no shaking like is running out of petrol ? the rev and petrol needles ?jump? once and the car just dies ?run start while the car is freewheeling does not get it back to life ? also while freewheeling after ?The Cut? the indicator don?t work, I have to turn the ignition off and back on before they start flashing ?. But the hazards flash straight away ?.

Trying to restart ? it sometimes kicked in, the revs jump to 1000 but dies immediately while all hell breaks loose on my dash with all the lights flashing for that couple of seconds ?. Other times it would be like trying to start a motor without petrol ? The thing usually sprang to life after about 5 mins ? then let me drive for ?a? km and die again

Now what I have noticed ? and please take note that I am in no way a qualified VW mechanic and this might have no bearing to the matter at hand and might in itself point to some other underlying issues ? Setting the thing on fire is starting to sound better by the minute ? OK ? 7 out of the 12 times the car died there was no fuel in the fuel filter ? and I noticed that the oily end of my dipstick was covered in tinny bubbles, now this is something I haven?t noticed before as I rarely look at the oily end of my dipstick ? That sounded way to sexual for my liking !!!!!!

Anyway ? I need help ? PLEASE !!!!!! ? Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Edited by Pugugly on 03/10/2009 at 12:43

96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! - God Module
Have been playing around with the car this morning and found that when using the old screwdriver to short the starter trick, it starts straight away no problem ? When using the key, it starts but dies immediately, sometimes with a huff and big puff of smoke from the carburettor ? When the car starts it seems to idle fine for between 5 and 30 mins before it cuts out , no signs like erratic idling , it just dies ? Any ideas ??????
96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! SOLVED !!!! - God Module
It always seems to be the last place you look , in the quest to fix this problem I ? swapped carbs ? swapped dizzys ? swapped fuel pumps ? swapped HT leads and coil *Thanks Steve for letting me rape and pillage ur caddy* traced every fuel and vacuum line . It has taken me a good 10 hours to find ??? a short on the ignition!!!!!!!! ? What happened was ?. Last week I caught a ?person? in the process of helping himself to my head unit ? * He is still recovering in Helen Joseph * - as they do they cut the wires behind the head units multi plug, now wanting to fit this head unit back this weekend I left the wires, just covered the ends with isolation tape ? or so I thought ? seems I missed the one going to the ignition ? FUN!!!! ? Now I assume that during the weeks driving this wire had moved into such a position that by last night it came in contact with metal and intermittently shorted the engine electronics out * hence the flashing fireworks display I got when trying to restart * ? It also explained why I could start the car from the starter and not the ignition .
96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! SOLVED !!!! - Dynamic Dave
GM, I take it you're not in the UK?

Just wondering why your 1996 Golf has a carburetor and not fuel injection?

From around 1993, most, if not all cars with catalytic converters also had fuel injection systems.
96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! SOLVED !!!! - Pugugly
South Africa at a guess.
96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! SOLVED !!!! - God Module
South Africa;s right ... You can still get a 2009 MK1 here with a carb if you prefer it over fuel injection ... Makes it easy keeping my Mk3 on the road as the motors are the same ... and so is all the attacements !!!
96 1.8 Acting up ... Please Help !!! SOLVED !!!! - Pugugly
What engine trim options are available these days ?