Driving in Norfolk - retgwte

So been driving a lot in Norfolk the last few days. It's like another world.

For one they have lots of one-way roads, but everybody and I mean everybody just ignores them and drives both ways up and down them. I am genuinely staggered at such widespread wilful disobedience of one-way roads. Many near misses as I just didn't expect anyone to be coming the other way.

The new invention the "single carriageway dual carriageway", i.e. what were obviously built as good old fashioned stretches of dual carriageway with one of the lanes chevroned off guarded by solid no overtake lines. And signed up as "dual carriageway" and "single lane traffic only". Some anti car nutters idea of a good way to run a road system no doubt. What's the speed limit then anyone 70 or 60?

And best of all you're all going to like this the gritting lorries were out gritting the roads, I kid you not. No doubt some council out after some government grant for grit or similar.

Strange strange place

Driving in Norfolk - stunorthants26
As some one who drives in Norfolk regularily, I cant say ive noticed any of this. Norfolk is like anywhere else ive driven, aside from the wide open roads that I wish there were more of in Northants.
Driving in Norfolk - cuthbert
Its not the car drivers you want to watch out for its the tractor drivers ???

I suggest you stay out and leave Norfolk to the people who appreciate it `¬ ) !!

I have driven round most of the country in my life and have not noticed anything different to any other county except the rural lanes being narrow

Driving in Norfolk - Manatee
I've driven a lot in Norfolk and usually enjoy it. The roads are in much better condition than in Herts, and the drivers seem no more anarchic.
Driving in Norfolk - NorfolkDriver
It is another world. Dont understand it? Keep out :)

I hope you brought your passport to allow for ease of access to this wonderful county of ours.

I must admit that I am struggling to identify the roads you mention so perhaps you could enlighten us as to where they are. I'm not saying they dont exist just cant pinpoint them.

As for what the speed limit is, dont worry about that, tractors cant get above 45mph so we dont normally get near the official limit :)

And yes, it is a strange place and we would like to keep it that way.

One last thing. Many people say they want to retire to Norfolk so it cant be that bad. I've NEVER heard anyone say they want to retire to London.
Driving in Norfolk - nick1975
Imagine I'm talking not typing.....

"I want to retire to London."

There you go, problem solved
Driving in Norfolk - Big Bad Dave
Snipped after a complaint

Edited by Pugugly on 02/10/2009 at 21:26

Driving in Norfolk - bell boy
trouble with being in norfolk is its dammed difficult to find a bed for the night if you are a yorkshireman who loikes saying
"how much?"
when you've got 12 fingers

and thats just on one hand.

Oh, its webbed feet not webbed toes :)
The Queen seems to like it !! along with a lot of celebs
Driving in Norfolk - perro
>>>I suggest you stay out and leave Norfolk to the people who appreciate it<<<

The amount of times I've heard this from the Cornish in the last 13 years!
In fact I heard it twice this week = wallies :-D
>>>I suggest you stay out and leave Norfolk to the people who appreciate it<<<
The amount of times I've heard this from the Cornish in the last 13 years!
In fact I heard it twice this week = wallies :-D

Sorry Perro, lost me now.

Why would the Cornish tell you to stay out of Norfolk ??
Driving in Norfolk - perro
>>> Why would the Cornish tell you to stay out of Norfolk ?? <<<

Sorry Norfolk D, I didn't make myself clear - I was referring to the Cornish in Cornwall but I won't go into details as the Muppet mods will only knock it out ... motoring link - I'm gonna wash me car.
Driving in Norfolk - bathtub tom
>>The Queen seems to like it !

We all know royalty like to 'keep it in the family'.
Driving in Norfolk - Altea Ego
I love driving in Norfolk, Never haver an issue., even in the middle of "nahrich"

Edited by Altea Ego on 02/10/2009 at 21:03

Driving in Norfolk - Dutchie
Bell Boy. Thats my wife favourite saying (HOW MUCH?) yorkshire lass.
"I love driving in Norfolk, Never haver an issue., even in the middle of "nahrich""

Beautifully said boy !! and as the county council said " normal for Norfolk "

Edited by cuthbert on 02/10/2009 at 22:01

Driving in Norfolk - L'escargot
What's the speed limit then anyone 70 or 60?

www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm
Driving in Norfolk - pda
If it has a 'physical' barrier down the center it is a dual carriageway no matter how many, or few lanes. Simlarly if there is no barrier it is a single carriageway, no matter how many lanes as in the A556 from J19 of the M6 to Winsford.
As many lorry drivers know to their cost!

Pat
Driving in Norfolk - Harleyman
Treat Norfolk as a flat version of Wales and you won't go far wrong. ;-)
Driving in Norfolk - pda
Having just spent a week with Crazy Pete from Aberdare, I can vouch for the fact that the Welsh are just as hard to understand!

Pat
Driving in Norfolk - sooty123
It isn't that bad but some better roads are needed. A47 needs to be made a dual carriageway all the way from Kings Lynn to Norwich. Some parts of it are but not enough would reduce travel times, Norfolk is one of the few counties without a mway. The drivers are fine infact it's fairly quiet in alot of the roads which is quite a rareity compared with other parts of the country.
Driving in Norfolk - bintang
I find the worst part is the Norwich ring road. As my journeys are usually from the A11 to the north coast, it is a part I encounter often. After that, the dogleg on the Acle New Road section of the A47 which often comes as a shock, between long sections otherwise dead straight.