Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - Rattle
Just getting quotes from my renewal, the cheapest is £630 but I am going with the £730 Directline quote because it has a lot more extras I might need and I trust them.

However the vast majority of policy's were over £1500 and one from Done Deal came up as £11,300!.

So how can the cost be so different? I know it is all about statistics but surely they can be that different for each insurance company?
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - frazerjp
Because some companies don't want to insure you, so they put their prices up deliberately to deter you from their services.
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - Stuartli
Perhaps, Rattle, they've been reading of your "adventures" in these forums..:-)
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - rtj70
Because it can and why it pays to shop around. My wife is with an Aviva company (I think) and they tried hiking the insurance again. They have handled two claims for damage to her car (neither her fault) really well in the last 4-5 years so were keen to stay - better the service you know.

But they jacked the premium in January. Online I could get the same cover with them for a lot less. So we did.... again. This time they could not match the quote via the phone.

Could we have got cheaper - probably but they have been good the twice needed.

P.S. No claims is protected and courtesy car needed so did via insurer. Always got excess back from third party easily.
My dad had to make a few claims with his Punto (which was written off in 2002). Had no problems at all with Directline they did try to fob us of with the value but they accepted they had got the valuation wrong and offered us more money for it.

It just has lots of nice things such as vandalism cover which dosn't count as a claim which is handy as my car sometimes ends up in some dodgy areas!

I think I just have too many risks attached to my insurance, M post code, business use, inexperience driver etc so a quote of £730 is not too bad really.
I still think the cost of your insurance seems high. Business use is often included if you just ask. Your age and inexperience shouldn't effect you too much. I wonder if it's the post code mostly.

Try a few quotes with directline and alter the address. At our house our son's car (when he had his own) was expensive. Where he lives now (without car as he uses the girlfriend's) the quote was either double or they would not quote.
My dad is with the same company, is insured for business use and the basic fully comp package would be £180 a year, he pays £300 as he has all sorts of extras such as no claims protection, hire car, break down cover etc. Same house, same post code so I can't see it making that much difference. His is a group 4/5 car too mine is a group 3 so I can only assume its still my age and inexperience that is causing it.

The stupid thing it asks when I passed my test but that dosn't mean anything, I know several people who passed but didn't start driving till years later they are paying less for insurance but have no more driving experience or even less than I have.

Edited by Rattle on 27/09/2009 at 23:35

Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - NowWheels
Business use is often included if you just ask.

For an ordinary car it costs little more, unless you are in a high-risk occupation.

But most insurers simply refused to quote on business use for my campervan. I'm a writer these days, and use than to go and see places and people I write about, which is much the same as anyone else does with a camper, except that they don't write about it. But it scared the insurers.
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - henry k
but they have been good the twice needed.

>>
Glad you had good experiences with them.
A few years ago I had to resort to several solicitors letters ( free under my legal cover) to get them to admit they screwed up. They had to pay all the legal costs and I got the £100 pounds that was mine.
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - diddy1234
My wife is currently getting quotes for a new car and it would workout £100 cheaper for her to have herself as the main driver instead of me.

Yet I have the max no claims bonus and she has not had car insurance (in her own name) for 6 years !

How does that work ?

Edited by rtj70 on 28/09/2009 at 01:43

They see her as a smaller risk. You may find having you as a named driver reduces risk/cost too.
Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - diddy1234
I would believe that if I were 18 years of age but I am not.

It would seem that any claims bonus doesn't mean anything these days since the insurance company's pick prices out of thin air.

'err, computer says no' he he

Edited by rtj70 on 28/09/2009 at 01:52

Why does the cost of car insurance vary so wildly? - L'escargot
Some insurers give better quality cover than others. To an extent you get what you pay for.