99 1.6 failing to start MK 1 - worlad
As I was driving the engine cut out and would not start, there were no problems prior. I have checked the fuel pump (ok) plugs are wet with fuel after turning over, TDC sensor has been changed fuel cut off switch changed. The coil pack is on top of the rocker cover and is the next thing I am looking at, there is a yellow spark (should it be blue) I?m not convinced it is the coil pack as the engine will not even fire as I thought it would at least splutter. The only thing I did notice when I first checked it was the water level in the header tank was fairly low, there is no water in the oil or cylinders and the engine temperature was indicating normal with no change in performance(is there a engine cut off if the water level gets to low) any thing else I can check before I have to get the ecu read
thanks
99 1.6 failing to start MK 1 - cheddar
Coolant temp sensor (in the side of the radiator, or is should be), if this fails the ECU can think the engine is hot when cold and visa versa can cause it not to start when hot or cold and even cut out if it overfuels when hot.
99 1.6 failing to start MK 1 - Peter D
Yellow spark is not right. Check the earth and connectors to the coil pack. Rig up a spark gap of 8 to 10 mm the spark should jump this and be blue. Regards Peter
Thanks Peter/& Cheder I will check both and post a reply
99 1.6 failing to start MK 1 - cheddar
Peter D is right, perhaps sort the ignition before looking at the CTS.
cleand all the coil conections + earth now a better spark on all plugs but still no fireing I will replace the coolant temprerature sensor before tryin the coil pack,
do you know if the ECU fault code would need clearing before the problem can be rectified
What ECU error code. What did it report. Take all the plugs out and warm the tips is a gas flame until perfectly dry. Crank the engine over for 15 seconds before you replace the plugs then see if she will fire up. Regards Peter
peter thanks for the reply Ihave put new plugs in and still no joy tried warming the other set but nothing, whats frustrating is that its not even trying to fire. no error code known or light showing on the dash, the imobiliser light goes out as normal when the ignition is turned on looks, like I might have to get someone out to it
You mentioned an ecu error code not me. Regards Peter
Long shot. Check the timing belt has not snapped or has shed a load of teeth. Regards Peter
99 1.6 failing to start MK 1 - minime082
Hi did you manage to solve the problem with your car? as i think i have the same fault with mine