During and after the airbags go bang ? - via roma
As i am just on the point of owning a modern car now I have a daughter I would like to know if anyone knows what its like when the airbags go off, do both front and side all go off together in any accident.

after having seen the video clip of the old lady giving the mercedes a clip on the nose with umbrella and setting off airbags, what happens to the car in a SLIGHT BUMP with all airbags used ?
Having been a fan of bangernomics in the past ( last uk transport 1964 herald and 1980's 205 diesel together made excellent and fun transport) a slight bump and a weekends work good as new.
Is the car interior now beyond economic repair with all those panels in pieces, how does it work?

and if repairable is this expensive ( what price safety ?)

Thanks
During and after the airbags go bang ? - Altea Ego
after having seen the video clip of the old lady giving the mercedes a clip

Firstly that video is a fake and has been made up like that. It takes more than that to deploy an airbag.
and if repairable is this expensive ( what price safety ?)

Repairable but the cost will probably write off most second hand cars.

I have been in an acccident where airbags deploayed, a Renaoult laguna. Front driver and passenger airbag, both R/H side curtain airbags, and drivers seat airbag. 6 of 8 airbags deployed.

Firstly its hot in there, very hot, and it gets foggy in there. The driver airbag burned the inside of my arms, the r/h side curtain airbag has made me slightly deaf in my right ear, the pre tensioner seatbelts left bruises and its not sure if the drivers seat airbag or the collision broke my ribs.

The car interior was in tatters, seat ripped, headlining ripped, steering wheel ripped and passenger dashboard ripped, all by the airbags deploying.

Edited by Altea Ego on 26/09/2009 at 10:30

During and after the airbags go bang ? - cheddar
But you lived to tell the tail RF, that is the key point!

How long ago was that now?

During and after the airbags go bang ? - Altea Ego
November 2005
During and after the airbags go bang ? - ifithelps
...and it gets foggy in there...

On a lighter note:

A pal of mine slid his Jag sideways into some Armco barriers, nasty jolt, but nowhere near as serious as AE's accident.

Impact was still enough to deploy all the airbags.

"I jumped out as quick as I could," he said later. "The passenger cabin filled with white mist - I thought it was smoke and the car must be on fire."

During and after the airbags go bang ? - bell boy
also if all the windows are closed and airvents closed the very fact that multiple airbags are deploying means that all the air has to be pushed somewhere,this is usually at the expense of busted eardrums and eyeballs turning to vitreous humour
During and after the airbags go bang ? - Lygonos
The 'bags only deploy if the impact warrants it - typically >30mph head on/side-on impact.

As mentioned above the 'bags can and do cause injury by themselves, but they save lives, rather than reduce non-lifethreatening limb injuries by reducing chest/head/abdomen deceleration rates. This is the usual cause of death in RTA.

I've seen a case where a young lad got out of a car after a head-on smash, phoned his family to say what had happened and that he was ok, then promptly collapsed and died due to a torn aorta. An airbag may have helped, but then again you can't defy the laws of physics entirely.

On balance I'd not have my family regularly driving in either an old car, a small car, or one with inadequate airbags.

Edited by Lygonos on 26/09/2009 at 12:05