Exceeding estimated mileage - SteelSpark
Hi,
I am in the process of taking out insurance (on an 09 reg Mondeo). As it is my first car I have no idea what my annual mileage will be (although I would estimate between 5,000 and 10,000).

I will likely go with Admiral, so I called them and asked them what happens if I go over my estimate. They told me that I would call them and then would adjust the premium. However, when I asked them how much they would adjust it by, they said that they couldn't say (due to changing prices etc) and could even guess (fair enough, because they don't want to be held to any guesses).

I am currently being quoted £710 for 5,000 miles and £776 for 10,000 miles. I am tempted to say 5,000 miles (it may well be that few), but am concerned that I could end up getting charged far more than the additional £66 if it turns out to be 10,000 miles.

Does anybody have any experience that they could share, where they have had to up their estimate, and whether the extra they were charged was much more than if they had just given a higher estimate in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

EDIT - btw that quote includes £30 for Personal Injury Cover (up to £30,000) and £30 for a hire car if I write of the insured vehicle

Edited by SteelSpark on 21/09/2009 at 17:15

Also, how would they check my mileage in the event of a claim?

The car currently has 5,000 on the clock, although on the sales invoice it says 875 miles (I queried this with the dealer, and he told me that it wasn't relevant, and said something about it being recorded at an earlier date). I didn't think that this was a problem at the time, but might the insurance company use that invoice, in the event of a claim, as proof of what the mileage was when I bought it?

Thanks
Exceeding estimated mileage - jbif
... I queried this with the dealer, and he told me .. >>

To quote Mandy Rice-Davies: "Well, he would, wouldn't he?"

To see whether it is relevant or not, try asking the dealer to change the invoice to read 8,750 miles.

To see whether it is relevant or not try asking the dealer to change the
invoice to read 8 750 miles.

Have I made a big boo boo here?
Exceeding estimated mileage - FotheringtonThomas
I normally state my estimated expected yearly mileage as accurately as I can, and that's that. I don't know whether I've ever exceeded it. Should I do so by some small margin, I would not expect to be penalised. Conversely, should I not in fact cover my estimated mileage, I would not expect a refund.
Exceeding estimated mileage - rtj70
For the small difference of £66 I'd personally go for the 10k miles cover. As a percentage it is small. You won't get the money back but the cost to change cover if needed.

You say in another thread you're finding the freedom of having a car great. So you might do more than you think.

I would not risk the insurer finding out if there is an accident or something... assume they will try to get out of any payment if necessary.

Happy safe motoring to you. And enjoy the car.
OK, well I managed to sort the invoice problem. I called the dealer and he was happy to re-issue the sales invoice with the actual mileage on it, so that should solve that.

It would still be good to get input from anybody regarding whether it costs more to add mileage onto your insurance later, rather than at the start of the policy.

Thanks again
There could be a charge to amend the policy plus any additions for premiums. Something the insurer can answer.
whether it costs more to add mileage onto your insurance later, rather than at the start of the policy. >>

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC some companies actually load your premium if you drive too few miles but I do not know what the threshold is for that lower limit (the logic is that your risk apparently increases because your driving skills are supposedly lowered by not doing enough miles).
Also, you may find when you try the price comparison web sites
www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-...e
that changing the mileage from 5000 to 10000 makes little or no difference to the price quoted.
Finally, most if not all companies now tend to charge an administration fee for changes to your Policy. [*]
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=893...9

[*] as said in the reply above by rtj at 17.51 - just seen rtj's reply which he posted while I was drafting my reply!

Edited by jbif on 21/09/2009 at 19:03

Exceeding estimated mileage - oldtoffee
>>It would still be good to get input from anybody regarding whether it costs more to add mileage onto your insurance later, rather than at the start of the policy.

It's an unwritten rule of business that if you go back after the event and change the "rules" it will cost you considerably more than sorting (ie negotiating) it out early doors. Shop around a bit more, check out that desert dwelling, small mammal of the mongoose family and make sure you're getting an fair deal.
Exceeding estimated mileage - Dave_TD
Simples....

an 09 reg Mondeo. As it is my first car

Lucky guy, I had to make do with a 10-year old Allegro!
Exceeding estimated mileage - Altea Ego
when I insure a car, I don't register how many miles its done. Who is to know how many miles I have driven? The insurance company don't know.
Exceeding estimated mileage - Dave_TD
Who is to know how many miles I have driven? The insurance company don't know.

Until you smash it up and they check the mileage of the wreck against its MoT record...

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 21/09/2009 at 22:51

Until you smash it up ... >>

He did and apparently wrote off a bus too in the process and got a free ride in the air ambulance thrown in - when he was known as RF (Renault Family).

>>.... and they check the mileage of the wreck against its MoT record... >>
Only AlteaEgo-RF knows. Did they?
I declined the offer of the air ambulance, and no they didn't check the mileage against the MOT. It had no MOT.
It had no MOT.

Neither do most of the cars I drive ;-)
Exceeding estimated mileage - L'escargot
Simples....
>> an 09 reg Mondeo. As it is my first car
Lucky guy I had to make do with a 10-year old Allegro!

I had to make do with a (manufactured 1936) 20 year old Wolseley 14!
SQ
I had to make do with a (manufactured 1936) 20 year old Wolseley 14!

Well, to be honest, I would have preferred a smaller, cheaper car that I would have been less paranoid about pranging but, as I mentioned on an earlier thread, I am coming to car ownership a bit later in life and with a wife and two kids to transport. The two kids plus the lack of experience means that I have tried to pay for a bit more safety, hence the newer car. :)

Anyway, just to feedback on the insurance. I finally got an admin fee out of Admiral (their phone support is very slow - over 15 minutes of Elton John before someone answered). They told me £20 to change details.

Interestingly (well, maybe not) I also had to enquire about whether to put down driveway or street under "where is the vehicle parked at night?". It will generally be parked in the drive but I wanted to make sure that I was covered in case I left it in the street and one of the teenage racers down the road smashed into it.

No problem I thought, I'll pick street and then be covered for drive and street. What confused me was that picking street made the quote 6 quid cheaper, so I wondered "did they consider drive more risky than street?". As I was calling about the admin fee I thought I might as well ask. Turns out they do consider street riskier that drive, and so picking street will cover me for both. As to why street was consider riskier than drive but was cheaper, they told me that "the formulas are very complicated..." :)

Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/09/2009 at 20:23

Exceeding estimated mileage - gordonbennet
Take no notice of the teasing about the nice first car SS, they're only jealous, my first car was a i've forgotten how old Volvo 122s...it's ok i'm not jealous..erm..;)

I'd put down for 10K too, you'll be enjoying all that the car offers over the year, you'll be surprised how those miles rack up.
Exceeding estimated mileage - ifithelps
Too right.

Put the paperwork to bed, pick up the keys, and drive, drive, drive.

That's what it's there for.
Put the paperwork to bed pick up the keys and drive drive drive.

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do, it just seems that everyday some new paperwork niggle appears. Anyway, I bought the insurance today (£644 fully comp, plus £30 for hire car if written off and £30 for personal injury). I'll get the gap insurance tomorrow and then hopefully I am done for a few months! :)

The driving is going OK, although I almost misjudged the gap between a line of parked cars and a bus tonight, so I am a bit annoyed with myself (because I am trying to be super cautious).

One mechanical question has arisen tonight actually. I have noticed the following:

1) I turn the engine on
2) When I press the brake pedal I can hear air being released
3) I turn the engine off
4) I press the brake again a few times and hear air then it stops and the pedal stiffens up (so that it hardly presses down)
5) If I restart the engine I hear air again when I press the pedal

Does that sound normal? I had never noticed it before, but because I have only had the car a few days, I am still getting used to what is normal.

Thanks again.

Yes Normal, thats the servo, a few cars make that sound
Yes Normal thats the servo a few cars make that sound

Thanks. So is it definitely normal on a Mk 4 Mondeo. Sorry for asking again, but I naturally am a bit concerned with anything that could be a brake problem. To that end I have also asked the question at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=78...1

and

www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/817261/

I don't mean to appear ungrateful for your answer, I have just found some other sites where people seem to indicate that it can suggest a problem on some cars. Just want to be sure :(

Thanks again
Exceeding estimated mileage - dieselfitter
I'm sure AE is right. What you describe sounds to me like normal behaviour for the brake pedal. Enjoy your new Mondy!
I'm sure AE is right. What you describe sounds to me like normal behaviour for
the brake pedal. Enjoy your new Mondy!

Thanks. I did call the dealer and mention it. The guy I spoke to said that it didn't sound right, and that I should bring it in to have an engineer listen to it. However, when I called back to ask when I can bring it in, I spoken to another guy who said that it had driven the car and that it was fine when he drove it (not really sure what difference that makes to the condition now).

Anyway, I am going to take it in tomorrow, just because the first guy suggested that I should. No doubt it will be OK, as you guys say, but I guess it doesn't hurt for them to check it.