01 1.6 Repeated misfires/coil replacements - bbe
Hi All,

I have a 51 reg. VW Golf 1.6 16v with an AZD engine. It's done around 64,000 miles, and I've had it for 2.5 years (a relative had it before from new). Since it's been in my possession I've had 6 (2 cylinders once, 2 twice) ignition coils replaced (5 by the AA on the roadside, and 1 at a garage the day after the annual service). Generally I lose power while pulling away from a junction and then the engine light starts flashing and the dash displays 'Emissions Workshop'. Being an AA member I usually call them up and they have read the electronic code from the engine and replaced the problematic coil.

The 6th problem happened yesterday and the AA man told me he had never seen such a mismatch of coils. In fact he couldn't tell which coil type was meant to be there because none of them were the same! Anyway he told me the engine code (AZD) and said I ought to replaced all the coils and the plugs in one go and maybe to look on GSF for the correct parts. Then today it has had trouble starting. Requiring several attempts to get it going, but eventually it will. It doesn't appear to sound right, and the idle has always been a bit bouncy on the revs, but I'm not sure if I'm imagining the sounds and feel now that I think there is a problem!

Now I think I could replace the coils and plugs, but I am wondering if anyway has had an similar experiences, or general advice, as to whether I should do this myself or take it to a garage.

Couple of other points. It seems to go through exterior bulbs a lot (I was wondering if this could be all related to the electrics??). And finally I think it's always been filled with 95 RON fuel.

Thanks