EX model - unusual tyre size - Bill Payer
Been looking at changing our 5yr old Jazz into a new one and have been drawn by all the goodies on the top EX model.

However I've become aware that the tyre size is pretty unusual - and therefore expensive! It's 185/55R16 83H.

I usually buy tyres from Costco, who only sell Michelin, and Michelin don't make any tyre in that size. Choice seems to be very limited and I, if I recall correctly, the same issue affects some models of Nissan Note.

Anyone know if these more unusual sizes are likely to appear from other manufacturers over time?
EX model - unusual tyre size - L'escargot
Goodyear make them. tinyurl.com/ksa4w9
Google for the tyre size.

Edited by L'escargot on 08/09/2009 at 11:27

EX model - unusual tyre size - daveyjp
My dad has the model below which has an excellent specification. If this has more sensible sized tyres it may make your decision making easier. One reason dad didn't go for the highest spec was the larger wheels. Even the dealer said it lead to a much firmer ride.

My A2 had strange tyre sizes - only three manufacturers made them, but at least one was Toyo which are a little cheaper than others and still a very good brand.
EX model - unusual tyre size - L'escargot
Ask a Honda dealer what different makes of tyres the cars come fitted with.
The cars we looked at had Bridgestones and Dunlops, although we looked at a variety of specs so can't remember which is which.

I'm particularly concerned due to the car not coming with a spare - having to buy a tyre in an emergency could be expensive and difficult, not a great combination!!

Edited by Bill Payer on 08/09/2009 at 11:47

EX model - unusual tyre size - jbif
tyre size is pretty unusual - and therefore expensive! >>
particularly concerned due to the car not coming with a spare - having to buy a tyre in an emergency could be expensive and difficult >>

If I was you, this is how my thought process should work:

1. how likely am I to need a spare?
2. in the absence of a spare, in case in an emergency I do need a replacement/repair, how am I going to get home or to a garage?
3. does my breakdown cover allow for this get-me-home contingency?
4. having got home, do I have a ready standby spare tyre to use? (this gets around the problem of being forced to pay over the odds in an emergency).
5. is the cost of 4 worth the peace of mind, bearing in mind 1.
6. what is the cost difference between a pretty common-or-garden tyre and a pretty unusual Jazz EX tyre?
7. if the extra few tens of pounds for a tyre is worth worrying about, and all this is too much for me to bear thinking about, do I still want to buy a Jazz EX which is costing a five figure sum?

Edited by jbif on 08/09/2009 at 13:02

If I was you this is how my thought process should work:

Thanks for the process!

We have used the spare in our current Jazz and it would have been awkward not to have use of the vehicle at the time.

If the tyre failed away from home and the goo wasn't enough then Honda recovery will get us home.

A solution might be to obtain a space saver and keep it in the garage. In reality the car rarely ventures far from home and if needs be then the spare could be taken to the car. In my mimited experience of flat tyres they tend to be noticed when at home anyway - in my whole motoring life I've only once changed a wheel while out on the road.
EX model - unusual tyre size - ijws15
The Audi A2 DID have this size tyre or something close (might have been 185/50R16 profile).

My experiences a couple of years ago were that they were made by four manufacturers including Michelin and Continental (what the 2 A2s we had came on).

The real problem was getting hold of them, one day SWMBO picked up a nail and luckily it was repairable, if not there would have been a 2-3 week wait for a tyre as no-one holds stock of such an odd size. The standard response you get is we will get one for tomorrow, when you ask them to call back to confirm this and they get a chance to look for one you get a different answer.

As volumes are low don't wait too long for other manufacturers.
EX model - unusual tyre size - bell boy
my tyre book only lists a continental @ £59.00 plus vat,so unfortunately you will be at the mercy of large mark ups and sucking of teeth unless you buy wisely glasshopper
I've fired off an email to Michelin and asked them to add the size!

If it appears on a few models then there ought to be demand although they will probably only add it if they have a shout at winning an OEM supply contract.

I'm really bemused by this move to low (even lowish) profile tyres - as best I can gather very people want them.

Edited by Bill Payer on 08/09/2009 at 14:18

EX model - unusual tyre size - mustangman
The lower the tyre profile the firmer the ride, and the greater the chance of rubbing the wheel up a kerb.
Seems a lot to pay for supposedly better cornering etc.
Should say:

>>as best I can gather very *few* people want them.
EX model - unusual tyre size - Mookfish
Maybe you could get a tyre or two to keep in the garage so you only need to worry about getting them fitted in the event of a flat, rather than waiting for them to be delivered. Most decent tyre places should fit them for you for £10 or so.
Maybe you could get a tyre or two to keep in the garage

I already have 2 rear tyres for my Merc in the garage after buying 4 in a Costco special offer so that thought had occured to me.

I was rather hoping that by the time the car needs tyres there would be other suppliers available, but it might be worth laying in a pair. If I have any choice I'd like to make sure I get the quietest tyres possible.