01 1.2 Recurring starting problems - outofpocket
My son bought a Renault CLio and soon found that he had problems starting it from time to time. On occasions when it did start the accelerator had a mind of its own and raced without anyone touching the pedal. This also happened on one occasion when he drove it - the accelerator raced and then the car started to lose power until it finally stopped. The next day it started without a problem. It has had two new starter motors, work for a sticking acelerator pedal and a costly repair for a valve (can't remember the name) - but still the problem recurs. Can anyone give any suggestions before he takes it back to the garage yet again?
01 1.2 Recurring starting problems - Peter D
The revving and not starting may not be related. When the car fails to start, when it finally starts does it immediately run smoothly as though nothing had been wrong. If so then this may be the pick up aerial around the ignition key and the immobiliser is stopping the car from starting. The revving problem may have been related to a faulty idle control valve. Regards Peter
01 1.2 Recurring starting problems - outofpocket
Thanks Peter - I'll pass this on to my son and the garage in the hope it solves the problem. I must admit there are occasions when the car fails to start and other occasions when the car takes on a life of its own by revving indiscriminately - it hadn't occured to me that it could be two separate problems - neither has it occured to the garage! At least he'll sound as if he knows what he's talking about.