Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours [Read only] - Nsar
Must have been terrifying
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/8239307.stm

I used to have one of those little hammers with a belt cutter in my car but it went missing. Maybe I should re-invest.

Edited by Pugugly on 08/09/2009 at 21:36

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - alfatrike
it's lucky she wasn't killed. i've seen horrid things happen when you flip a rag-top.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - William Stevenson
There are so many risk factors in this story leading to this outcome that it would be deemed tasteless to list them. Once we get past all the 'how terrible it must have been for you' stuff, I for one am glad she's now off the road, except that it's not for long enough. Unfortunately, in all that time any alcohol would probably have been burned off.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - L'escargot
......... I for one am glad she's now off
the road except that it's not for long enough. Unfortunately in all that time any
alcohol would probably have been burned off.

There was no mention in the article that she had been drinking alcohol.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - bell boy
its over for the rover
she must have been bored hanging around though
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Chris S
There was no mention in the article that she had been drinking alcohol.

Not explicitly, but it said this: Kerrianne Timberlake, from Leyland, who was last seen leaving the Plough Lane pub
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - NowWheels
Once we get past all the 'how terrible
it must have been for you' stuff I for one am glad she's now off
the road except that it's not for long enough. Unfortunately in all that time any
alcohol would probably have been burned off.

William Stevenson, that's all speculation. The report doesn't say whether she had drunk any alcohol; in facts it offers no information at all on what actually caused the accident.

Obviously, the question of whether the driver had been drinking is one the first issues I would expect the police to investigate, but from the info in the report, it's quite possible that she had a soft drink after work and then lost control on the motorway after experiencing a blowout of a front tyre. I don't think it's fair to leap to any conclusions on the basis of a brief report which provides so few details.

I'm just glad that neither she nor anyone else appears to have been seriously injured. Rather than speculate, please could we just leave it to the police to investigate?
she looks pretty gay and happy in the photo
no cuts or anything
oh and she left the pub at 5.30 pm.i summised she was a barmaid rather than a drinker
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - the swiss tony
she looks pretty gay and happy in the photo
no cuts or anything
oh and she left the pub at 5.30 pm.i summised she was a barmaid rather
than a drinker

I agree that she look pretty, and happy but not quite sure what her sexuality has to do with it.....

''who was last seen leaving the Plough Lane pub in Grimsagh at about 1945 BST on Thursday. ''
1945 equals 7.30pm
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - maz64
I agree that she look pretty and happy

...and it's obviously a family snap, not taken after the accident. But BB might well know that - I wasn't sure whether he was being serious.
Rather than speculate please could we just leave it to the police to investigate?

No. One of the features, and it must be admitted the entertainment, of these forums is the predictability of some responses. There were similar saintly appeals that opinions were not to be offered after the token sentence on a woman who terminated a similarly drunk partner after deliberately drinking for hours and deliberately leaving the pub to drive- she killed him before going more than a couple of yards. Some were of the opinion that she had already suffered enough, punishing her wouldn't bring him back, etc etc.. I wasn't. I was of the opinion that these were the excuses of the Drink/ Drug Driving is not that bad, it could happen to any of us lobby. Opinions are what these forums are about- it's not a legal case here. I understand that such opinionated discussions go on in Public Houses, although I wouldn't know as I never go in them.

In the present case the individual risk factors, which I have to accept from the BBC because I can't verify them myself, taken one after another each increase the probability that we pretty much know what happened to almost 100%. It's not quite 100%; it could be that the car was forced off the road by a 1.21 Gigawatt tractor beam from Starship Enterprise bouncing off the Klingon flagship, for instance. If there was any blood alcohol (which was why I originally wrote 'any') it would have gone after 24 hours in a young woman with non-knackered liver. She was indeed lucky. That's my opinion.
>> Rather than speculate please could we just leave it to the police to investigate?
No. One of the features and it must be admitted the entertainment of these forums
is the predictability of some responses. There were similar saintly appeals that opinions were not
to be offered after the token sentence on a woman who terminated a similarly drunk
partner after deliberately drinking for hours and deliberately leaving the pub to drive- she killed
him before going more than a couple of yards.

William, you are confusing two different situations. One is the perfectly legitimate exercise of offering opinions on a case where the facts have already been presented in court and assessed by a judge. But in this case you are leaping to conclusions about a case in which we have very scanty details, and where you are surmising a chain of events. That's not just potentially unfair to the person concerned, but more seriously it risks prejudicing a trial if the police investigation reveals grounds for prosecution.

What's wrong with waiting for an investigation and reserving judgement until you have more details of the case?
In the present case the individual risk factors which I have to accept from the
BBC because I can't verify them myself taken one after another each increase the probability
that we pretty much know what happened to almost 100%. It's not quite 100%; it
could be that the car was forced off the road by a 1.21 Gigawatt tractor
beam from Starship Enterprise bouncing off the Klingon flagship for instance.

There are plenty of nasty accidents which occur when the driver has not been drinking at all, and in this case we have no evidence that the woman had consumed any alcohol before leaving the pub -- just a guess that this is likely. If that's your idea of near-100% certainty, then I pity the accused if you ever end up on a jury. :(
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - ifithelps
...but more seriously it risks prejudicing a trial...

Tosh, and a line that's trotted out far too often.

Why is it tosh?

Any trial will be months away so this thread will be long forgotten.

The chances of someone reading this thread, remembering it, being called for jury service, sitting on that case, and allowing his opinions to be swayed are tiny.

Give jurors some credit - they are the same as you and me and are intelligent enough to try a case on its merits.

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Pugugly
....but nonetheless idle speculation is unhelpful. I've been to several pubs recently but haven't had a drop (going tonight as it happens) and I'd be hacked off if an anonymous poster was making something up based on the flimsiest of evidence if anything happened to me on the way home. Gossip mongering basically in the finest tradition of Les Dawsons' housewife character.
....but nonetheless idle speculation is unhelpful...

PU,

Agreed - which is where the Mods come in.

Even from as far away as Wales.

Which is why I posted ! (not because I'm in Wales !)
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - nortones2
Grimsargh where the woman had been visiting the pub, for whatever reason, has been associated with a couple of unfortunate incidents in the last week. tinyurl.com/lupsxv Focus involved in 2 overturnings, the last of which was fatal to the driver and seriously injured a third party in a Subaru. Focus 1 was apparently being followed by Focus 2, because of a minor bump minutes earlier.

Edited by nortones2 on 05/09/2009 at 11:52

Don't you just love the use of what might be called footballers' tense by the Lancashire cops:

"The driver of the blue Focus has lost control of the vehicle."

Has lost control? How about: "The driver of the blue Focus lost control of the vehicle."

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Another John H
It's more likely to be the bumper bar of a HGV tractor, than the tractor beam of the starship enterprise.

Truck/car type accidents happen frequently near junctions (M6 M61 in this case), where the driver of a Continental truck makes an ill-considered lane change and doesn't see a car in the blind spot

As the car driver, there's really no predicting where you end up under those circumstances.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - GroovyMucker
Don't you just love the use of what might be called footballers' tense by the
Lancashire cops:
"The driver of the blue Focus has lost control of the vehicle."

Police all over, I think.

It's either that or the present anecdotal ("Then my boyfriend walks in ...") which they also use in statements.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Cliff Pope
>>
It's either that or the present anecdotal ("Then my boyfriend walks in ...") which they
also use in statements.

They get that from popular history for the masses programmes: "Henry VIII has to execute ..." "Hitler launches his blitzkreig" etc. It's journalese I think.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Nsar
William Stevenson and one or two others....if you can be bothered to get off your high horse, Google the lady's name and you will find at least one other report of this story which contains the sentence "Police say that there is no suggestion that she had been drinking".

I have no connection to this person, but I was sufficiently shocked by this instant assumption that she had been drinking that I did a bit of googling. Of course the Police might be lying, who knows?

Perhaps you would have the decency to comment.

None of us is likely ever to know.

But "Police say that there is no suggestion that she had been drinking" is not conclusive: if they were asked, "Had she been drinking?" then, with no evidence to support such a conclusion, they would have to answer that way.

Faced with that kind of answer, I give up.

I'm off to the Daily Mail forum where I hope to find a little more tolerance and understanding.
Nsar, mate, nothing can be that bad, can it?

None of us is likely ever to know.
But "Police say that there is no suggestion that she had been drinking" is not
conclusive: if they were asked "Had she been drinking?" then with no evidence to support
such a conclusion they would have to answer that way.

Not so.

If there was any room for doubt, they could perfectly well have said something like "we are unable at this stage to determine whether or not the driver had been over the limit".
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Westpig
Not so.
If there was any room for doubt they could perfectly well have said something like
"we are unable at this stage to determine whether or not the driver had been
over the limit".

Exactly.

If you suspect something, you do not give a press statement out stating "there is no suggestion...." etc....you'd say something non committal like "our enquiries continue".

If you don't know one way or the other it would be something akin to what NoWheels has said.

If you think there was no drink involved, you'd say what they did say.
The point is, the police are in a cleft stick and will - and ought - to say nothing which they can't back up with evidence.

And were they to say - 24 hours later - I repeat, 24 hours later - anything like "we are unable at this stage to determine whether or not the driver had been over the limit" then she would probably sue them.

The point is the police are in a cleft stick and will - and ought
- to say nothing which they can't back up with evidence.
And were they to say - 24 hours later - I repeat 24 hours later
- anything like "we are unable at this stage to determine whether or not the
driver had been over the limit" then she would probably sue them.

Sue them for what, exactly? What's the damage of saying "we don't know either way" or "investigations are incomplete" ??
For raising the suggestion that she might have been over the limit.

When they couldn't possibly substantiate such a suggestion.

She was trapped for 24 hours, remember?

For raising the suggestion that she might have been over the limit.
When they couldn't possibly substantiate such a suggestion.
She was trapped for 24 hours remember?

But we're not talking about them "raising the suggestion", which I agree would be out of order. As yourself put it above, the issue is what to do if they were asked, "Had she been drinking?"

When asked, all they have to say is "dunno, our investigations continue".

I dunno how the rules of evidence work in drink-driving cases, but I would have thought there were other evidential possibilities besides blood tests. Can the bar staff tell the police how many drinks she had, over what time period? Did anyone see what state she was in when she left?

The police had 24 hours to make those enquiries before they found her, and if there was any serious doubt in their mind about her alcohol intake they could easily answer a question without committing themselves. As Westpig pointed out, police do this all the time: remain non-committal until they've reached conclusions.
Hey, you pay the same whether or not you accept the advice (or, in this case, the explanation).

William Stevenson >> Perhaps you would have the decency to comment.

My comment is that this is becoming more hilarious by the minute now that we have been incited to delve deeper. Decency hardly comes into it! We now know where she lives, and her family circumstances. Yet more suspicious aspects have been revealed, not least of which are the personalised number plate and quotes about 'bubbly personality'- although we can congratulate her for getting almost the maximum value out of the tax disc before the car was totalled. At least she won't have to attempt the thankless task of getting money back from the DVLA.

Better still: the reported police comment that 'there is no suggestion that she had been drinking' actually turns out to have been a police comment that 'there is no suggestion that she was over the drink drive limit'. I can say with 100% certainty that there is such a suggestion, but it cannot be proved because a young liver would have burned off all but a massive alcohol overdose within 21 hours, particularly when it hasn't got any digesting of proper food to do. There is a strong likelihood that she had been drinking alcohol because the quotes about enjoying drinks with friends at a pub are unlikely to be referring to tea or some nasty fructose laden soft drink, and also because it's fairly obvious really. I haven't changed my opinion yet, but I shall look around J29 when I'm next passing in a day or two. Perhaps it will just be designated as a Sudden Unexplained Rolling Over An Embankment With No Other Vehicles That We Know About Involved Incident
>>I can say with 100% certainty that there is such a suggestion but it cannot be proved >>

where on earth is this suggestion? You might well have a suspicious mind...and who knows you might be correct....but on the other hand you might not..... it's pure speculation.
>> William Stevenson >> Perhaps you would have the decency to comment.
My comment is that this is becoming more hilarious by the minute now that we
have been incited to delve deeper. Decency hardly comes into it! We now know where
she lives and her family circumstances. Yet more suspicious aspects have been revealed not least
of which are the personalised number plate and quotes about 'bubbly personality'-

A "bubbly personality" and a personalised numberplate!!!!! Quelle horreur!!!

Oh no! , somebody arrest her promptly just for those two serious offences. I mean it's well known that personalised plates are owned only by the most reckless of hardened criminals, and that anyone with a "bubbly personality" must be a dangerous psychopath ... so put her in the Tower and throw away the key.

[/tongue-firmly-in-cheek]

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/09/2009 at 21:03

>>There is a strong likelihood that she had been drinking alcohol because the quotes about enjoying drinks with friends at a pub are unlikely to be referring to tea or some nasty fructose laden soft drink<<

I think that is telling us more about your drinking habits than hers.

>>Perhaps it will just be designated as a Sudden Unexplained Rolling Over An Embankment With No Other Vehicles That We Know About Involved Incident<<

Or the result of the very bad weather at the time.

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - G williams
William Stevenson i am sick of all the small minded people like yourself who jump to conclusions due to what is written about a person in the press.

you believe that she has been drink driving due to what you have seen in the paper as it says and i quote 'she left the plough after enjoying drinks with friends'.
This is not the case and how do i know that Mr Stevenson, that is because i was one of those friends sat with here before the accident occured that evening!

So Mr Stevenson before you start spouting out what you call 'THE FACTS' as you have so called them actually give a minute to think about the family and friends of the person involved and what they might be going through.

But on a brighter note thankyou to all the people who have sent their best wishes and stuck up for my friend in this forum.
...Thank you Mr Williams - now can we put this to bed now ?

Rob - Moderator.
William Stevenson i am sick of all the small minded people like yourself who jump
to conclusions

Good one. I think this is a message relevant to a lot of people, who post without thinking or who jump to conclusions.

Hope your friend is recovering well.
I think it's only fair for Judge Stevenson and m'learned friends of the kangaroo court to be allowed a right of reply...
They have
i quote 'she left the plough after enjoying drinks
with friends'.
This is not the case and how do i know that Mr Stevenson that is
because i was one of those friends sat with here >>

This is interesting. G Williams has been recruited to the forum solely for this angry post which has been deemed acceptable for the forum, despite the special difficulty that he/ she is directly involved, as opposed to those relying on publically available information of variable reliability. GW has now added to the public information. People were no doubt questioned by police before they issued the 'missing person appeal, and this probably contains the most reliable public information, because they were seeking assistance in finding her. Problems could arise if witnesses differ, and I think this is the reason for the cumbersome 'this is not the case' language, which makes an assertion without making clear what it refers to. Few people will therefore doubt the 'leaving the Plough pub at 19.45' bit, so presumably the dispute is over 'enjoying drinks with friends'. That is odd, because not many people would object on principle to that concept, which only became noteworthy after what we may now call the Sudden Unexplained Flying 30ft Through The Air Over The Crash Barrier Incident. There are not many credible causes for such an incident.
There are not many credible causes for such an incident.

Perhaps that's why they don't happen very often.
Few people will therefore doubt the 'leaving the Plough pub at 19.45' bit
so presumably the dispute is over 'enjoying drinks with friends'.

William, you're digging yourself in deeper.

The dispute is over your insistence in believing that 'enjoying drinks with friends' means a) alcoholic drinks and b) too many alcoholic drinks ... despite a clear denial from the police of that possibility.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - jbif
... despite a clear denial from the police of that possibility ... >>

eh? Where is that clear denial?

This report,
www.lep.co.uk/news/Miracle-escape-of-mum-trapped.5...p
, and other similar ones, states:
Police say there is no suggestion she was over the drink drive limit.
So was she just under the limit, or totally alcohol free? or what? NW - How do you know?

>> ... despite a clear denial from the police of that possibility ... >>
eh? Where is that clear denial?
This report
www.lep.co.uk/news/Miracle-escape-of-mum-trapped.5...p
and other similar ones states:
Police say there is no suggestion she was over the drink drive limit.
So was she just under the limit or totally alcohol free? or what? NW -
How do you know?

I don't know whether she was alcohol-free or had merely had so few drinks that there was no concern about her being over the limit; the police statement doesn't answer that question. But what I do know is that the police statement rules out any concern about her having been over the limit, despite William's determination to believe that there could be no other possible cause for the accident.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - jbif
NowWheels:
1. When replying, why do you frequently quote the whole post?

2. >> I don't know whether she was alcohol-free ... >>
No, only the investigating officers will know the full circumstances that led to someone from the Police allegedly saying "there is no suggestion she was over the drink drive limit".

3. When this (enlarge the 2nd photo) was the effort needed to rescue the driver, I suspect that the priority for the emergency services was to save a life, rather than breathalyse the driver at the scene and/or work out how much alcohol there may or may not have been in the blood at the time of the actual incident (rather than 21 hours later when rescued).

4. The alleged Police statement implies nothing other than "there is no suggestion". Note that "suggestion" does not equal "suspicion" or "evidence", nor does it mean that the cause of the incident was investigated and resolved, or the driver tested, or not. As said so many times, everything so far seems to be conjecture in the absence of sworn evidence.

Edited by jbif on 07/09/2009 at 16:22

NowWheels:
1. When replying why do you frequently quote the whole post?

To clarify context, because in a threaded discussion like this, replies are not always displayed adjacent to each other. I usually trim long quotes (and probably should have trimmed the one you are replying to -- sorry!), but quoting one or two lines may sometimes amount to the whole post.
The alleged Police statement implies nothing other than "there is no suggestion". Note
that "suggestion" does not equal "suspicion" or "evidence"

Fair comment, but it may be unwise to try to place too precise an interpretation on the exact word used. Is a suggestion stronger or weaker than a suspicion? I'd usually say weaker, but that may not be what the speaker meant.

(e.g. "I suggest we should consider the possibility that X was drunk" .. "So do you suspect that X was drunk?" "No, I have no grounds to suspect that. But it is a theoretical possibility, so we should investigate")

However, if there was evidence of being over the limit, then saying "no suggestion" would not be an appropriate comment -- at best it would be highly misleading.
As said so many times everything so far seems to be conjecture in the
absence of sworn evidence.

Indeed! That's why I have been objecting to those who want to leap to the conclusion that her presence in a pub makes this a drunk-driving incident.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Avant
The reaction of any civilised person to this story must be of sympathy and relief that the youg lady wasn't seriously hurt. Imagine what must have gone through her mind, at least when she was conscious, not knowing when, or if, anyone would find her.

As there's no evidence that she was drunk, I can't for the life of me think why anyone should want to suggest it publicly.
I'd have a good drink if I was going to have to spend a day stuck in an upside down car. :)
you would have to be pretty nifty with a glass though

ever heard of a straw?

;-)
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - harib
That's a cure for hiccups isn't it? :D
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - deepwith
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8240294.stm

Now, what conjecture will this give rise to?
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8240294.stm
Now what conjecture will this give rise to?

The earlier report that mentioned a pub led to some posters taking it as conclusive proof that the driver must have been drunk as a skunk ... and since this report doesn't mention a pub, the same logic should lead the quick-judgement brigade to conclude that this was an entirely sober driver who just had bad luck.

;-)
Won't stop the Chairman of the Bench AKA Mr Skippy.
the same logic should lead the quick-judgement brigade to conclude
that this was an entirely sober driver who just had bad luck.

But it was in Devon - don't they drink a lot of cider there?
>> the same logic should lead the quick-judgement brigade to conclude
>> that this was an entirely sober driver who just had bad luck.
But it was in Devon - don't they drink a lot of cider there?

Oops! You're right. It was Devon, so all involved -- driver, police, coastguard -- must be permanently inebriated on scrumpy. Now that was easy to solve, wasn't it? ;-)

It reminds me of a judge in Dublin who became rather random as he approached retirement. He dismissed one solid-looking case because the main prosecution witness was from Leitrim, and he pronounced that everyone in that county was a liar.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Happy Blue!
"It reminds me of a judge in Dublin who became rather random as he approached retirement. He dismissed one solid-looking case because the main prosecution witness was from Leitrim, and he pronounced that everyone in that county was a liar. "

But I thought everyone knew that.................
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Bagpuss
It's surprisingly easy to flip a car over in the right circumstances. Years ago a mate of mine lost control of his Vauxhall Viva, hit a wall and the car landed on its roof in the field the other side. He got out ok. Road was wet, police reckoned he was going a bit quicker than he should have been (as far as that was possible in a Viva) and probably hit a patch of diesel. He was on his way to work and hadn't touched a drop. He wasn't prosecuted.
www.thevisitor.co.uk/73/Hero-police-officers-tell-...p

You'll believe an MG can fly.

Helicopter video shows she hit the grass verge just before the barrier began for an exit she probably wasn't planning to use and probably hit the sloping start of the barrier which launched the MG into an impressively long flight. State of the barrier will tell.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - oldnotbold
Although the time of day is odd, it looks more as though she fell asleep at the wheel.
Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - G williams
Mr Stevenson i find it quite sad that you are still going out of your way to attack my friend over the accident reported in the paper 5days after it has happened.

i believe sir that you need to get a life and learn the facts rather than creating your own facts in that little bubble of yours and slating people you dont even know.

as i have already stated in this forum i was sat with her that night and therefore know it is not a drink driving case. but regarding your quote earlier about a healthy liver burning off alcohol in that amount of time is incorrect as a body that is not taking in solids and liquids cannot break down the alcohol/toxins in your body the same way and would therefore be still traceable.

so i would like to ask that you discontinue your comments about accidents in the near future that yourself or any other poster may have that is just their opinion and not in fact true as the whole thing has been traumatic enough and my thoughts go out to anyone who is suffering in the same way at this time.

regards
G williams

Edited by G williams on 08/09/2009 at 21:13

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - Lud
upside down in a car

The upside is that your hiccups would be cured, if you could manage it.

harib: great minds think alike, but some faster than others...

Edited by Lud on 07/09/2009 at 15:28

Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours - harib
No worries Lud - I was on form yesterday :-)
Thread locked after a lack of response by "William Stevenson" to a reasonable posting from G Williams. No more speculation please.
A Reasonable Post? - William Stevenson
This should be united with the thread ?Trapped in overturned car for 24 hours? which was precipitately locked by Pugugly because I had not replied to a ?reasonable post? by G Williams (I was away). In fact G Willliams? posts are far from reasonable- they look like placements to manipulate public opinion by someone purporting to be using his/ her real name but employing crudely ambiguous language. Instead of a plain statement?I was with Kerrianne all that evening before she left the pub, and she consumed no alcoholic beverage?, we are given vague statements that ?this was not the case? and it was not ?drunk driving?. GW?s statements about alcohol metabolism are gibberish, and could hardly be more incorrect. The only way the blood alcohol level could have been above the legal limit in this case is if it was improbably high at the time of the accident 20 hours before. I doubt if calculations to derive the probable alcohol level at the time of the accident from a level around the time of rescue 20 hours later are allowed; someone with knowledge of such legal matters may wish to comment as it is rather important.

While the driver was undoubtedly lucky not to be killed, the real point is that it was lucky no-one else was killed. This flying off the road was not something the driver was powerless to prevent and neither is it due to the Bamber Triangle and it?s famous Gravity Reversal Incidents, but something to do with the driver. The most likely predisposing factors for wildly careering off the road are drink/ drugs, sensationally excessive speed for the conditions, falling asleep and ?being on the phone?. Just think what could have happened if the incident had not occurred on our safest road: a motorway. One hopes that the police did their job and investigated for these possibilities leading to loss of control, as far as was possible. I would expect investigation were I to be responsible for such dangerous driving, and I live in fear of failing to concentrate while driving a potentially lethal missile. We should not emulate the treatment of the Lockerbie Bomber, who was treated as a hero back in Libya- just surviving a night in a car after it was wrecked flying off the road (you can see how far it went on the helicopter video) does not a heroine make.
A Reasonable Post? - NowWheels
While the driver was undoubtedly lucky not to be killed the real point is that
it was lucky no-one else was killed. This flying off the road was not something
the driver was powerless to prevent and neither is it due to the Bamber Triangle
and it?s famous Gravity Reversal Incidents but something to do with the driver. The most
likely predisposing factors for wildly careering off the road are drink/ drugs sensationally excessive speed
for the conditions falling asleep and ?being on the phone?.

This is ridiculous.

AFAIK, you are not a crash investigator, and are not party to the results of the crash investigation. Yet without any evidence you state with absolute certainty that the crash "was not something the driver was powerless to prevent"

Yet:

* There could have been a front tyre blowout.
* There could have been a failure of some part of the steering or suspension.
* There could have been some bit of bad driving by another motorist which caused this driver to swerve and lose control.

Note that I say "could have been", because I don't know. The problem here is that you don't know either, but you have lept to a conclusion on the basis of speculation.

I think the mods were right to lock the previous thread, and I hope they take some action to put an end to this irresponsible rush to judgement.