EPS warning light - bwanasimu
Yet another member of the EPS Club !

Recently bought a 2nd hand FSI S 1.6 (Jun 06) with 9,000 on the clock (an ex-mobility car) from a local (reputable) dealer in East Sussex. One month into use and apparently not covered by the dealer's 6 month's warranty, the EPS light goes on. Local VW main dealer in Tunbridge Wells (Motorline) most helpful and sympathetic but advise that major costs would be involved to replace the offending unit.

Fortunately, Motorline are willing to submit case to VW for review even though the problem has arisen outside the normal VW warranty and are hopeful of full coverage.

From the other posts on HJ this is clearly an ongoing problem with this brand.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/08/2009 at 13:58

EPS WARNING LIGHT - Alanovich
Hello,

I'm toying with the idea of a '56 reg 1.6FSI Golf (DSG) at the moment - 24k on the clock.

What is this EPS light and what does it signify? SOunds like a common fault, would be handy to know so that I can check out whether the car has had the fault and if it's been fixed.

Thanks.
EPS WARNING LIGHT - pd
I assume you mean the electric power steering has failed. It is known on the odd Golf (there are a lot of Golfs out there).

BBA can repair/re-manufacture these units (www.bba-reman.com) - not sure what they charge but you would obviously need to get it removed/refitted as well.
EPS WARNING LIGHT - Nomag
No I think he means "ESP" - the failure of the ESP control unit on Mk V Golfs is becoming a common fault and requires replacement of the entire ABS/ESP unit which costs around £1500. VW have paid out goodwill in some cases. Most of the reported ones seem to be (ironically) just out of warranty on 3 year old cars.
I'm hoping this doesn't affect other VW Group cars too, as I have a 2006 Leon which is Golf Mk V based, anyone any ideas?
EPS WARNING LIGHT - EoinM
This is something that I haven't come across on another Seat forum I use as I too have a 2006 Leon. Bad luck and hope you get it sorted under a goodwill jesture. I would still look into the terms of the sellers original warranty mind - it's a bit excessive to expect someone to pay that sort of money on a car bought from them a month earlier
EPS WARNING LIGHT - theterranaut
Regardless of the dealer's warranty, there's the small matter of the law. Its been covered many times here, but under the (modified) Sale of Goods Act, the dealer (who has a presumed expertise in these matters) has to sell you a car of certain quality. The onus is now on them to prove that the fault did not exist at time of sale.

I would do some research on here, contact Trading Standards as well, and then go back to the dealer armed with some facts.

Good luck!
EPS WARNING LIGHT - bwanasimu
Many thanks for your input into this matter.

Fortunately, VW have agreed to a full replacement of the offending unit at no cost to me on an ex-gratia basis. so this avoids having to get "legal" with the dealer.

Kind regards
EPS WARNING LIGHT - bikemade3

Oh my wonderfull VW.......

06 Reg VW FSH, 45K, Boughtex dealer.

ESP lights on, will not select off. Cars into dealer next Weds for diagnostics and then into VW headquarters for possible VW goodwill.ABS works fine.

Lots of rumour about VOSA nad getting watchdog onboard for this issue.

Understand that my contract is with the dealer, should VW not honour the failure of a non service part is it worth going small claims?
EPS WARNING LIGHT - David Horn
How long have you had the car? If less than a year I'd be moaning at the dealer I bought it from.
EPS WARNING LIGHT - guss
Had this on my 56 plate gt tdi. Diagnosed and fixed by vw with 3 months left on the warranty. The service manager told me they are doing 1 or 2 cars a week with this problem. I had to wait 3 weeks for the part from germany. Clearly a bigger problem than vw let on .Thanks to the large number of problems, they seem to have woken up to the potential pr disaister and are now paying up. Pity it took so long as many others just out of warranty have had to pay up
EPS WARNING LIGHT - bikemade3
Replaced and fixed FOC 100% goodwill by VW. 7 months outside warranty and 48K on the clock. Service manager said they were doing 3 a week with failures as low at 10K or 6 months. Well done VW for sorting this out.Just hpo the replacement item has been fitted with an improved pressure sensor.
EPS WARNING LIGHT - Fredflinstone

Isn't it EPC (Electronic Power Control) perhaps. Light on the dashboard lights and the car wont rev.

Have a look at http://volkswagen-polo-highline.blogspot.com/ it may be what you refereing to.