00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - groovysi
Hi,

Just been to the garage to hear the news that my x reg focus has failed its MOT emissions test by massive margins! The HC rating was a huge 925 missing the pass mark of 200. The mechanic did some investigations and discovered the engine compression was right down at 95,100,95,100 rather than in the 140s I think.

The car is otherwise in good condition and drives fine, I don't do many miles and am not worried about performance at all. The mechanic said it needs a new engine but considering the age of the car would not consider it economic - current engine has done 110,000. I am looking for any fix that could just get it through the MOT emissions test. The mechanic mentioned it may be worth buying some Slick 50 to improve compressions which will help the emissions.

If there is any hope of reducing the emissions from 925 right down to 200 or is the car scrap?
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - Dynamic Dave
When was the car last serviced? Oil, plugs & filters?

Have you ever given it an "Italian Tune up"? (In other words blown the cobwebs away) - a forum search will reveal more)
The garage serviced it for £95 immediately before the MOT doing oil, plugs and filters.

Searched the Ilalian tune up - definately worth a go thanks!
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - harry hotfoot
Searched the Ilalian tune up - definately worth a go thanks!

Hmm, tried this on our 1997 tdi passat. Overdid it a bit (possibly an understatement!), and blew the turbo. As the car was 12 years old and had failed the mot for other reasons, the "italian service" wrote the car off!

Just my cautionary tale...
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - bell boy
The hc is high due to poor compression,it must run like a sack of spuds with those low readings,consider your next car to do longer jouneys to negate piston wall wash.
Stick this thing in the block with no mot and some poor private individual is bound to bid a grand at it ,good result all round see
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - SteVee
I think it's strange that the compression readings are uniformerly(?) low.
Could this be caused by low cranking speed, or because the engine can't breathe properly - e.g. a blocked air filter or a blocked cat ?
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - davecuk
I think it's strange that the compression readings are uniformerly(?) low.
Could this be caused by low cranking speed or because the engine can't breathe properly
- e.g. a blocked air filter or a blocked cat ?

I agree completely, the car passes an MOT last year, this year it fails by a huge margin.....it's compression on all cylinders down and not just 1 or 2. So it's not a broken ring/rings, hole in piston. So unlikely to be massive engine wear since the last MOT and compression evenly down on all cylinders.

Low cranking speed is unlikely to cause the low compression readings, which should be in the 125-140 range depending on engine type. ..It really does sound like an airflow problem and subsequent rich running...the poster didn't mention:

poor fuel economy
whether the plugs electrodes were black when removed and examined
Is the car using excessive oil
Is there lots of blue smoke

Many thanks for all the really helpful comments - looks like its not necessarily an open and shut case of a worn out engine then!

The compression test came back 1)92, 2)92, 3)100, 4) 100.

Emissions CO=4.67(MAX 0.3%) HC=925 (MAX 200) Lamda 0.85
It passed the CO Natural idle test at 0.49%

Have not noticed much change in fuel ecomony. I will ask the garage about the condition of the plugs when removed and certainly have not noticed any blue smoke!

The entire exhaust system (inc CAT) on the car is original from manufacture having done over a 100,000. Could a blocked CAT cause the low compression readings? If so could it be a question of disconecting the exhaust a running a second compression test?

All help really appreciated! Thanks
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - Dynamic Dave
The compression test came back 1)92 2)92 3)100 4) 100.

Do those values increase with a squirt of oil in each cylinder? If not then that could indicate the valves are leaking and not worn piston rings.
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - madf
A £95 service for oil plugs and filters sounds far too cheap.
What type brand/ spec oil was used?

Incorrect oil could affect engine wear/piston sealing/
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - SteVee
The full emissions results suggests that the fuelling is way off - perhaps the lamda sensor and/or MAF (Mass Air-Flow) sensors - unless it's blowing oil out the exhaust ?

As davecuk asks - is it using oil, or producing smoke ?

Does the garage have a fault reader - and have they looked for any logged faults ?
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - Robin the Technician
Take it for an Italian tune up.... It works wonders!!! Every car I've owned and currently own gets one on its way for an MOT. I generally take them for a ten mile drive MINIMUM and drive the engine hard through the gears. I will drive my car in 4th gear hard for about 4 miles and i've never had any of my cars fail!!!
Modern engines don't like short journeys and it actually does them good to give them a bit of harsh treatment from time to time. Ensure the correct oil is in the engine and the garage actually changed the plugs and air filter. If its all correct it will pass its MOT after the Italian tune up.

Hope this helps
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - piston power
You could remove the air filter before the test it will suck more air to fuel and should do the trick & a good blast up the motorway in 3rd taking the revs high will blow cob webbs out the back!
00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - lutyuk

hi i have a 1.4 ford focus, had my MOT done in July and fialed in the same way. got an home tune up guy to come and he told me the lamba sensor wasnt working. so i got a new one and called him out agian, he then siad the CAT wasnt doing its job... so i bought a new cat £195 kwik fit "problem solved" emissions went down to 125.

couldnt believe it myself neither could the MOT guy.

btw

yes low compresion, yes blue smoke and yes bad plugs

00 1.6 Massive MOT Emissions test failure - mss1tw

On behalf of anyone who needs this for reference, thanks for the info!