Tow Ball Bike Carrier - Confidence - tack
So, having forked out to have a tow bar fitted to the Golf, and getting a Thule Ride On 3 bike carrier, I loaded it up this morning and took self and wifey off to Southend seafront.

The whole sh'bang was easy to fit, tighten and load/fix bikes onto and we then drove off,

Ye G*ds, my eyes were on stalks watching the rear view mirror. Not being proficient in physics, I had no confidence that it would not end in calamity with bikes and carrier crashing into the road behind me if I went over a hump, lump or matchstick.

Even though I tightened the 1 bolt that holds the whole thing onto the tow ball, tighter than Mr Tight from Tight Town.....................I still worried about it.

By the time I got to Southend my nerves were shot. I checked it all over and all was still tight. On way back, I felt a lot better and it still seemed solid as a rock when we got back.

I marvel at how the whole thing hangs on the tow ball with just one bolt. Magic.
Tow Ball Bike Carrier - Confidence - BobbyG
Tack, I had the 4 bike one and also had the same feelings as you!
Especially if you were on a bumpy road you looked in your mirror and just saw 4 bikes seemingly bouncing about but in reality they were solid onto the towball.
But I also was very wary of how a lump of steel could take these strains and stresses especially when I noticed one day that there was a small groove on the towball where the supporting screw from the cycle carrier had been tightened onto it (you know the one that if you loosen it off then it allows the carrier to be tilted).

IIRC my towball weight was allowed to be 60kg and the 4 bikes and carriers came to just over that!
Tow Ball Bike Carrier - Confidence - BobbyG
My previous post ( over 2 years ago) on this subject

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45976&...f

Tow Ball Bike Carrier - Confidence - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've posted here a number of times on this subject.
No problems at all with tow ball mounted racks. Even reversed into a tree and the rack bent rather than moving on the ball. Enjoy the cycling.
Tow Ball Bike Carrier - Confidence - Waino
After a useless 'hanging-off-the-back' type carrier that swivelled from its straps, I finally shelled out for a tow-bar mounted Atera Strada 2. I was a bit nervous at first, having never really got my head round how the thing could positively clamp onto a ball designed for a 'ball and socket' type of joint - however, I wish I'd got one years ago! The device locks onto the hitch, and the bikes are locked onto the carrier.

I'd never recommend the 'hanging-off-the-back' type. A friend had one on her Corsa and it pulled the metal up on the hatch forming two 'air scoops'.