Speed alarms - bintang
I thought a retro- fitted device, to alert drivers when they were exceeding a speed limit, would have a ready market. However, I can only find one available, the Speed Genie from Bridgewater Electronics. It seems to fit the bill as it is stand-alone, i.e. not part of a satellite system. Are there any others? Has any poster fitted one and was it difficult?
Speed alarms - Harleyman
You'll probably find that every vehicle has a speed alarm fitted; trouble is they require positive interaction from the driver.

They're called speedometers.
Speed alarms - McP
My Garmin Sat Nav has an audible warning when the speed limit is exceeded.

Or it did have, until switched off in the menu.
Speed alarms - Old Navy
My Tomtom speed alarm is switched off too, cruise control is more effective.

Edited by Old Navy on 22/08/2009 at 12:17

Speed alarms - Hamsafar
My 1986 BMW had one built into the OBC all those years ago, I used to have it set to 30 mph and it was quite useful. It was an unobtrusive chime, a bit like a Japanese cabin call.
Speed alarms - boxsterboy
Yes, a lot of modern cars have speed limiters, even our 5-year old Citroen C8. Very handy.
Speed alarms - Lud
These things sound a very bad idea to me. What proportion of drivers these days needs to be made to go more slowly?

Instead of an alarm that goes off when the driver exceeds the limit (according to the car's optimistic speedometer), what is needed by about two thirds of drivers is a device to deliver a violent electric shock to the right leg when the car's speed drops below the limit.

It would surely improve traffic flow, something that would save the country billions. But I can't help feeling it would be difficult to sell the idea to car buyers.
Speed alarms - Old Navy
Lud, the speed limit is not a target that must be achieved regardless of all else.
Speed alarms - Hamsafar
I agree Lud, it's just appalling out there, but if the chime goes at 30mph, it can help people reach 30mph, so when they set off they could keep accelerating until the chime. If every I became terminally ill, I would buy a Volvo 740 and ram these people from behind.

Speed alarms - Lud
the speed limit is not a target that must be achieved regardless of all else.

No. My post was a joke because we all know that one often has to go below the limit.

But it wasn't entirely a joke, because far too many drivers now seem content to waddle along hugely below the limit when there's no earthly reason for that sort of exaggerated caution. I often grumble here about the A-road queues in Sussex and Surrey. Believe me, four genuine mimsers up each othjer's jaxies followed by fourteen impatient motorists can make one's life a misery for miles. You can't get past them without giving yourself and perhaps others a heart attack and they drive along in a tight train chewing the cud at 40 or 45 on a nice unobstructed but slightly sinuous 60mph A road.

Misery. Not good either for one's attitude to fellow drivers.

Speed alarms - Old Navy
>> the speed limit is not a target that must be achieved regardless of all
>> else.
No. My post was a joke because we all know that one often has to
go below the limit.

Just a gentle wind up, Lud, as a professional driver in the past, and never having been accused of holding up the traffic, even when driving 30 odd tons, I agree with your view on mimsers.

Edited by Old Navy on 23/08/2009 at 10:43