any good car films? - alfatrike
i'm looking to start a collection of family suitable car related films to play to the kids in the coach on the run up to heatrow.

i've got the italian job, original, not the one of the same name. the kids like it, as do i.

the original french 'taxi' has a bit of nudity so might not be suitable.
'blues brothers' has swearing, still a very good film with great music.
the new 'dukes of hazzard' was very wooden and cheesey.
'speed' might make them, and me, a bit paranoid.

any ideas on a suitable motoring related film on dvd?

any good car films? - a900ss
I would say Ronin but as it's for the kids perhaps Herbie would be more appropriate.

Edited by a900ss on 20/08/2009 at 15:08

ah yes 'ronin' another great film, quite a lot of blooded shooting if i remember correctly.
not seen 'herbie' if i see it in the bargain bin i might get it.
any good car films? - L'escargot
Duel, starring Dennis Weaver.
Duel starring Dennis Weaver.

not seen, what's it like and about?
any good car films? - L'escargot
>> Duel, starring Dennis Weaver.
>>
not seen what's it like and about?

tinyurl.com/5thhn8

Edited by L'escargot on 20/08/2009 at 15:17

sounds quite good and only a PG, surprising reading the blurb. only £2.99 on play.com worth a go.
any good car films? - Chrome
For all round family viewing I nominate 'Trafic' - a brilliant Jacque Tati film, the windscreen wiper scene is priceless :)

Edited by Chrome on 20/08/2009 at 15:20

any good car films? - Altea Ego
Rendezvous in Paris

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C'%C3%A9tait_un_rendez-vous

Watched it in the electric cinema in Camden in a sumptious leather armchair with a glass of wine in my hand.
sounds good, at only 9 minutes it might do as a warm up.
any good car films? - Dynamic Dave
>> Duel starring Dennis Weaver.

not seen what's it like and about?

Its ideal for sending them to sleep.
any good car films? - Reentrant
Genevieve.
Maybe too dated now, but definitely a car film suitable for kids.
any good car films? - 1400ted
Mad Max...a good fantasy romp. Then add Waterworld for a wetter version.

Ted
any good car films? - Altea Ego
Then add Waterworld for a wetter version.

Thats about as desireable and exciting as wetting the bed.
any good car films? - bell boy
That Riviera Touch -worth it to hear the line put the wipers on it will go faster
Riding in Cars with Boys---------should keep them quiet
any good car films? - maz64
Mad Max...a good fantasy romp.

The last one 'Beyond Thunderdome'? IIRC the first one is a bit gory and grungy, and I wouldn't want to show it to youngish kids, whereas the 3rd was more glossy and family friendly. Do we know how old they are?

EDIT: MM is 18, MM3 is 15

Edited by Focus {P} on 20/08/2009 at 18:02

the kids vary in age from 12 to 18 mostly 15. foreign exchange students so lots of speaking and sex/nudity/bad language is off the menu. more car crashes and explosions.
any good car films? - Alby Back
Not taking any kind of stance here you understand, just musing really. Strange world it seems sometimes when we reject people taking their clothes off or swearing as being too offensive for minors but scenes portraying violent death are seen as harmless fun. I'm sure a sociologist could explain it. Anyway, I'm off topic so I'll shut up now....

Gone in 60 seconds ( the original ) amused me I seem to recall........
any good car films? - Lud
Quite right HB.

Apparently the average US nipper witnesses several hundred graphic scenes of murder a year... or is it a month?
any good car films? - zookeeper
" trafic" by jaques tati, very visual and limited dialogue, very easy to watch and funny too , its in black and white so may get nose turned up at but like i say very funny
any good car films? - RicardoB
Agree re "Traffic" but it is in colour (although at times quite pale)

Groovy shots from Holland mainly, in 1971 based around the Amsterdam motor show and lots of on-road scenes that year. Fantastic "crash" scene (funny), and classic clip near the end of the film where Hulot walks up to a DAF 55 on the motor show stand, steps into it like any other punter, slams the door and... you'll have to get the video!

No dialogue at all, to speak of, so very suitable.
any good car films? - zookeeper
thanks recardoB, your right it is in colour , i was thinking of an earlier post i wrote and it was deffo in b/w also...good stuff ..i think the films jaque tati did epitomise the french car industry
any good car films? - overend2
Good Bye Pork Pie - from New Zealand, they sell bits of the car as they travel (a beetle), to fund a road trip.
any good car films? - Lud
The theme of Trafic, I suddenly remember, is an automobile show and the public relations and advertising around it. So it's definitely a motoring film. Quirky, but excellent. And it is in colour like all Tati's films since M. Hulot's Holiday (which features a frightful French 1920s cyclecar, and is itself a masterpiece of comedy film making).

Edited by Lud on 22/08/2009 at 23:27

any good car films? - meldrew
Vanishing Point. Utterly awesome! Its an 18 cert but that was 20 years ago, probably
a 12 plus nowadays!
any good car films? - P.Mason {P}
I'd love to get a copy of Trafic- excerpt at:

tinyurl.com/nb955u

Enjoy!

P.
any good car films? - rogue-trooper
not really cars, but Convoy should be OK.