02 1300 Replacing a tie rod? - Wurzel83
Hi

My parters Fod KA failed its MOT today. One of the things was play in the off-side steering. At the last MOT it had a new tie rod fitted on the near side for the same reason. I have sourced the Tie Rod for £14.25 plus VAT.

I went to fit it this afternoon. I removed the gaitor to find that the existing rod was rusty around the ball joint which explains the play. But how on earth do I remove it from the end of the Steering Rack? On the new rod there is nut at the end but on the current one its just round!

There is nothing in the Haynes. I read on another Forum that someone poured boiling water over it and then attacked it with a plumbers wrench. Would a blow torch be better? I have heard other people being quoted 1 hours labour to do this so there must be an easy way without the need to remove the rack.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/08/2009 at 01:37

02 1300 Help please - Tie Rod - bell boy
never done a drivers side but assume they bolt on too
i weld a wheel stud onto the old round bit on the rack then undo it with a socket and extension,i assume the heat kills the locktight too
you can buy an oversize stud extractor tool to do these but its about 80 quid
be aware if you use too much force on the pinion you can distort it in the rack housing
horrible cheap racks that always leak on the ka anyway

best of luck
02 1300 Help please - Tie Rod - mfarrow
When I did one on the Corsa I used a proper mole wrench and a hammer.

Did the trick.