1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - lucklesspedestrian
Hi there

Some of you might remember a few months back that after much palaver we bought a 2005 (05 plate) Focus 1.6 with the 115 bhp engine (roughly 45K).

The only problem (apart from a bit of road noise on some surfaces) is that we seem to averaging a mere 32mpg which is pretty damm poor (we've done 3 brim to brim calculations).

It's SWMBO who drives it. The usual journey is 4.5 miles of single carrigeway A road followed by two miles of town driving. She doesn't use the air con much and is a reasonably steady driver.

It's coming up for a service and obviously we'll make sure that the air filter and plugs are changed and see what happens after that (Tyres pressures are fine). Is there anything else you can think off to ask the garage to investigate as a possible cause of the problem?

Otherwise, nice car despite the annoying habit of not starting if I leave it parked on a (upward) slope if the fuel warning light is on!

As always thanks in advance

Steve

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/08/2009 at 21:42

Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - bell boy
sounds good economy to me for what its used for
as regards the poor starting,you mean you run it to dregs then try to start it?if so thats madness you will kill the pump
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - lucklesspedestrian
What happens is that even if the fuel warning light comes on a mile from home, if we park it in our driveway (which has a steepish upslope) then the next morning we have to freewheel it backwards of the drive, onto the level before it starts.

Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - I'm a Pane
When I had the same model (57 plate), before being credit crunched, my average consumption was 32-34mpg. Initially thought it was just a tight new engine but after several thousand miles mpg remained the same. My current Megane, also 1.6 16v (?110bhp) but old and past it on an x reg, does the exact same journeys with an average of 41-43mpg. I haven't changed job/journeys or driving style.
Unfortunately the newer the car, by and large, the heavier and less efficient it seems to be for any given engine capacity and power. Such is progress....
Mind you someone will be along shortly saying how they regularly get 45/50 mpg out of their Focus!
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - alex823
Sounds about right. I'm currently averaging 32mpg in a 1.6 petrol C4 though I do drive with my foot to the floor everywhere. In comparison I got about 45 out of C max 1.6 90bhp diesel I hired recently (over approx 1,000 miles) driving pretty similar.
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - bazza
LP, I think your car and consumption sounds pretty typical for the useage. I had a Mk 2 1.6 Focus and averaged 35 to 40 over its tenure, with very easy driving conditions. My previous Megane 1.6 was 40 to 45 mpg over the same routes. The Focus 2 is a heavy lump and I found it quite gutless, extremely noisy and to be honest, quite over-rated. I have a 1.8 MX5 at the moment, averaging 37 mpg on the same journey, as comparison. I wouldn't be too concerned, unless you're doing a high mileage, as the cost of fuel is dwarfed by depreciation on a newish car.
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Altea Ego
It's SWMBO who drives it. The usual journey is 4.5 miles of single carrigeway A road followed by two miles of town driving.

Killer journey for fuel consumption. Never warms up properly, always charging the battery, 50% in town.

32mpg is good under those circumstances.
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Stevieboy
I get 30mpg out of my 2002 1.8 Focus.

As only fill up 7 times a year it's not a problem :)
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - LikedDrivingOnce
I get 30mpg out of my 2002 1.8 Focus.
As only fill up 7 times a year it's not a problem :)

What on earth is your annual mileage then?
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Car
What on earth is your annual mileage then?

I would guess LikedDrivingOnce drives about 2000 miles a year
I would guess LikedDrivingOnce drives about 2000 miles a year

I wish! :-)

I actually do around 18000 miles a year, of which I find about 17999 unpleasant.

Fortunately life has loads of other pleasures to make up for this. Too numerous to list here.
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Blue {P}
I actually do around 18000 miles a year of which I find about 17999 unpleasant.

You're driving at the wrong time of day then, I drive about 15,000 miles pet year, of which I would say about 12,000 miles are highly pleasant, I get a huge kick out of feeling and, if I have the windows down, hearing, my engine singing in tune with my right foot!

I envy you! (This is a sincere statement, just so that you don't misinterpret the reply). I drive at all times of day and in all conditions and I never enjoy driving at all. I often drive on empty, twisting roads in the summer sunshine, which many friends tell me should be a pretty good experience. Yet all I can think of is "I wish these damned roads were nice and straight".

The funny thing is...I hate driving, but love cars! Actually I am interested in all engineering stuff.....cars, planes, boats. construction projects, power generation...everything! But cars are king. I think that the engineering in cars is more fascinating than anything else.

And I love the snippets of info that I pick up from the BR as well.
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Car
I actually do around 18000 miles a year of which I find about 17999 unpleasant.

So how do you only have to fill up 7 times a year?
Ford Focus 1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - a900ss
It isn;t Likeddrivingonce that fills up 7 times a year, it's Stevieboy.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - L'escargot
The only way to get a valid calculation of average fuel consumption is to record every drop of fuel bought, and the mileage covered, over a reasonably long period of time ~ say a month minimum. Even then, the consumption will vary significantly according to the journeys, driving style, and season of the year.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - ifithelps
Given the short journeys and 'steady' driving it probably needs a good, long blast, if not two good, long blasts.

I'd also be inclined to try some fuel additive - the 45k done before the OP bought the car might have been short journeys as well.

Millers in my old Focus diesel brought about an improvement.

Worth running a couple of bottles of something through, even if you don't bother for a few thousand miles after that.

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - L'escargot
Millers in my old Focus .........

My Focus Owner's Guide specifically warns against using fuel additives.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - ifithelps
...My Focus Owner's Guide specifically warns against using fuel additives....

OK, I'll rephrase that:

Worth running a couple of bottles of something through, provided you put it in under cover of darkness.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Stevieboy
How many miles do I do ... well ... I can't answer that, but between my wife and I we do about 2.5k per year in it. It is our only car.

I used to do 20k a year in a previous job, a lifetime ago.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - The Melting Snowman
Ours does 35 - 42mpg (exactly the same engine)
Short journeys kills the economy, yours is probably running rich for 25% of the time due to the catalyst.
1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Andrew-T

Still beats me how so many people concentrate on their fuel consumption, and every one of them has to convert the litres they buy into gallons - or rely on their car's computer to do it for them. When did anyone in the UK last buy a gallon of fuel (or anything else) ?

We laugh at the Yanks for using more Imperial units than we do, but we can't throw off our MPG. I aim for 14mpl from my diesel and 10 from my petrol.

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - unthrottled

Still beats me how so many people concentrate on their fuel consumption, and every one of them has to convert the litres they buy into gallons

Some of us don't take kindly to being dictated to by a bunch of beaurocrats with arts degrees as to which units of measurement we are permitted to use.

it really isn't challenging to convert fuel economy into fuel consumption and from imperial to metric. If you find that aspect hard, you probably haven't got the intelligence to do anything meaningful with the data anyway.

... every one of them has to convert the litres they buy into gallons

Some of us don't take kindly to being dictated to by a bunch of beaurocrats with arts degrees as to which units of measurement we are permitted to use.

it really isn't challenging to convert fuel economy into fuel consumption and from imperial to metric. If you find that aspect hard, you probably haven't got the intelligence to do anything meaningful with the data anyway.

I don't find it hard at all - I am a trained scientist and quite happy with both systems. I grew up with one and adapted to the other. It seems to me everyone else finds it hard to change to metric. The 'bureaucrats' have forced them to buy litres, but they are d***d if they are going to give up mpg, even though it means nothing and is only a number. Luddites? Litres came in decades ago - how much longer?

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - unthrottled

Inconsistency in units is a bugbear of mine-but Scientists are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to using non-SI units (what is the point of the Angstrom or hectapascals?!

I was taught and used the metric system at school. But the decision to actually ban the sale of goods in imperial units really irritated me, so I switched to imperial out of obstinancy.Imperial units should be allowed to wither on the vine. If they don't wither away completely then there is probably some merit in the units-such as being easier tol visualise.

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - galileo

When I was at school it we did sums in pounds, shillings and pence, but then learnt the metric system, so I can convert Imperial to Metric with no problem.

The S.I. 'official' metric units, however, are hardly user friendly or sensible for daily use. For example, dimensions of length,width and height of cars are now given in millimetres - a completely inappropriate unit.

Who ever describes the length or width of their car (or their own height) in millimetres?

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - RT

When I was at school it we did sums in pounds, shillings and pence, but then learnt the metric system, so I can convert Imperial to Metric with no problem.

The S.I. 'official' metric units, however, are hardly user friendly or sensible for daily use. For example, dimensions of length,width and height of cars are now given in millimetres - a completely inappropriate unit.

Who ever describes the length or width of their car (or their own height) in millimetres?

Owning to modern teaching methods, we now have a couple of generations who can't handle decimals without a calculator - so for the masses, mm is workable with no decimals wheras they can cope with 4.512 metres !!

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - RT

Still beats me how so many people concentrate on their fuel consumption, and every one of them has to convert the litres they buy into gallons - or rely on their car's computer to do it for them. When did anyone in the UK last buy a gallon of fuel (or anything else) ?

We laugh at the Yanks for using more Imperial units than we do, but we can't throw off our MPG. I aim for 14mpl from my diesel and 10 from my petrol.

The generations brought up on imperial and the generation brought up on dual use doesn't easily adjust to ALL aspects of metrication, particularly for those aspects we don't use much.

For weights, I use tonnes, kg and gms despite being taught imperial but I can easily convert to tons and lbs as I'm often in discussion with US petrolheads over the interweb.

For distances, I use miles, yards, feet and inches but can handle metres, cm and mm just as well.

For volume, I use litres, ml, gallons and pints.

All the others I can't easily handle with mental arithmetic as I just don't use them often enough.

Anyway, since johnny-foreigner, brought up on metric, uses litres/100km for fuel consumption then WTF is "mpl" ?

Anyway, since johnny-foreigner, brought up on metric, uses litres/100km for fuel consumption then WTF is "mpl" ?

It's just the ratio between the distance we travel and the fuel we buy, in the units we normally use for both. If those foreigners choose to calculate it the other way up, let them.

If I plan to drive 250 miles next Friday, I like to guesstimate how much fuel to get, without stopping to say 'Oh, gallons, how many litres is that?' every time. And no, I don't brim the tank to make that unnecessary.

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - shaunsj

Hi I know this is a old thread but i drive a 1.6 115 ford focus its a 2007 with 24000miles on but it is averaging 23.7 mpg what could be wrong with the car???

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - madf

When was it last serviced? Miles, date,mileage now.

1.6 (115) poor fuel economy..help! - Ethan Edwards

Driving style has a lot to do with it as well. I lose count of those people I see accellerating towards a queue where they will have to stop and throwing on the anchors at the last minute. m****s the lot of them.