First service costs - Miller
My Clio is due its first service soon. Cost will be £180, for what basically amounts on an oil and filter change and a visual safety check of other components (yeah, right - just tick the boxes on the service sheet during the tea break).

It seems most of the bigger manufacturers charge around this amount because they know the customer is tied to them otherwise the warranty will be void.

I asked what the cost would be when I first bought the car, so I'm not suprised.....just a general moan that most franchised dealers seem to take the proverbial when it comes to service time.
First service costs - captain chaos
Always have and probably always will. Might be worth trying other Renault dealers for a lower price, then get your supplying dealer to match, or better still, beat it?
First service costs - Miller
Hah, 3 dealers within a twenty mile radius and all charge within £5 of each other......obviously they dont want to step on the others toes, instruction probably comes from head office.
First service costs - captain chaos
No surprise there, then. Just had a look around local Renault dealer websites and they seem to be doing servicing deals for cars over four years old. I'd be asking why they can't look after new customers the same way. Or maybe it's a ploy to get the older cars in and find lots of work which "needs" doing in the hope the poor punter will agree to it. A bit like the "MOT for only £15" malarky. It's not going to sail through in a million years, is it?
Or maybe I'm just being a little cynical...
First service costs - Bill Payer
It seems most of the bigger manufacturers charge around this amount because they know >> the customer is tied to them otherwise the warranty will be void.

That is not correct - see FAQ number 66.

However you need to make sure if you get the work done elsewhere that the scope of the work is the same and that they use Renault oil filter and the correct oil.

It's also worth calling a couple of Renault dealers and asking if there are any recalls or service advisories on the car.

At the end of the day, I think the £180 is pitched so that it's just not quite worth the uncertainty of getting it done out of the network. It is worth arguing about the price though - for the simple first year oil change £150 is more like it on most cars, and some are less. Perhaps get prices from dealers further afield - you could always say you work near a distant dealer.