Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - legacylad
Any advice please.
Following on from my recent post 'Extortionate recovery charges' the Ka is now in a friends builders yard, having been successsfully SORN'ed online. It still has a current MOT, but the tax ran out on 31/July, and the insurance has been switched to a replacement vehicle (lucky, lucky DiL!!).
Reading todays Motoring DT section, I am confused (easily done) by the article stating that I cannot transfer the reg to a retention certificate unless the car is taxed. The reg is worth around £700 which will seriously help Mum's financial situation given the tale of woe. Can anyone please advise me what action I should take in the circumstances.
Many many thanks in advance.
Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - bell boy
you will have to tax it then weigh it in again when plate off
Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - rtj70
It will need to be taxed. But it has no insurance at the moment so cannot be taxed. So get it insured again, then tax it, transfer reg plate to retention and then cash in the remainder of the tax disk.

The tricky bit will be getting it insured if you've transferred this to another vehicle already.
Thanks BB and rtj70 for such prompt replies. In that case I need to find out when the MOT expires, then transfer the insurance back onto it from the replacement vehicle prior to taxing, put the reg on retention, then transfer the insurance back to the replacement vehicle (which would of course be kept off the public highway whilst uninsured) once on retention. The insurance was transferred onto the replacement vehicle easily enough,with an additional premium paid, so no reason when it cannot be done again..or is there? And tell the insurers why of course!
Phew
glad thats clear in my mind.

Edited by legacylad on 01/08/2009 at 17:19

Are you not repairing it? If not can the car not be told for £700+ with the plate?

Putting the plate on retention doesn't get you £700 and you might not got that much in this economic climate.

I'm surprised they spent so much on the car and it seems another £700 on a cherished plate!
Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - pmh3
If you are insured with a sympathetic broker (old style) who fully understands the situation, you may get lucky and get them to issue a handwritten cover note. Overlap cover is still available foc from some insurers.

If it is on line insurer start saving up the money now!
rtj70...the car came with that number plate....the one good thing in this whole sorry scenario! We were going to put it on our joint wedding present to ourselves next year, but it is now deemed unlucky and has to go!
I spent weeks finding a choice of nice first cars for DiL, but oh no, none of them were 'cool', and as it was not my money being spent (Bank of Mum) I could only advise after the 'secret' purchase and say what a pile of carp it was. As soon as my back is turned, Mum and DiL go and find something else, neither of them knowing anything, and I mean, anything, about cars. The black Ka was bought solely because it would look nice with a pink steering wheel, pink seat covers, pink mats etc etc. So, 13 months later, £700 purchase price, £1300 in repairs, £260 recovery fee, there is nothing to show but a nice plate.
Mum now hates the sight of the car and has drawn a line under it...it is stoved in at the front, damaged wings, buckled wheel, torn suspension and not worth repairing even from salvaged scrap yard parts.
So...off to my local, a 3 minute stroll away, for a few pints of Golden Pippin 'early doors'.
Thanks for your advice.

Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - Doc
From the DVLA site:
(my bold lettering)

Conditions for transferring a registration number

To transfer the registration number, both vehicles must be:

* registered at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
* available for inspection
* of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
* currently taxed

However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply to transfer provided:

* there is no break between the date the tax disc runs out and the start of the SORN
* and the tax disc run out no more than 12 months before the date you apply

Looks like you should be able to do it.

But is there a difference putting on retention certificate?
But is there a difference putting on retention certificate?

The DVLA quote referred to retention certificate.
There is no difference in procedure; the retention certificate merely delays the transfer to a time that suits.

There's me thinking the retention certificate that allows you to put the plate on retention didn't need two cars ;-) That's why I thought there was such a thing.
Many thanks for all replies.
After speaking directly to the DVLA, who were very helpful, the matter is now successsfully resolved.
The Ka was sorned and taken to a friends yard. We gave him, literally, the car as a thank you for recovering it from the yard where mum was charged £260 for the 5 mile recovery and overnight storage! He has now repaired it from scrap parts and will sell it to a friend.
I took the VRD, MOT and Sorn notice, together with form V317 (Application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number),to my local DVLA office, paid £105 for one years retention. and it was as easy as that. No need to tax or insure the vehicle.
We should receive the retention certificate within 7 working days, and the replacement VRD with Ka's new reg number within a fortnight.
Hopefully within the year the plate can be sold which will cover the recovery costs. Robbers is the kindest thing I can say about those people.
Thanks again for all help & advice
Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - Cliff Pope
I've sometimes wondered what happens to personalised plates if the car is written off in an accident. How do they get a wreck taxed and MOT'd in order to reclaim the number? Is it lost forever? Do drivers with expensive personalised plates drive extra carefully when their MOT is coming due?
I've sometimes wondered what happens to personalised plates if the car is written off in
an accident. How do they get a wreck taxed and MOT'd in order to reclaim
the number?

If the car is taxed or SORNed at the time of the accident, then the number can be transferred.

"However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply to transfer provided:

* there is no break between the date the tax disc runs out and the start of the SORN
* and the tax disc run out no more than 12 months before the date you apply
"

Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - Cliff Pope
But the Directgov site says:

"Also enclose for both vehicles:

the registration certificate
or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ?application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C'
a test certificate ? needed for cars and motorcycles over three years old, and heavy goods vehicles over one year old".

So it might have insurance and tax (or SORN) but if the MOT expires ...?
So it might have insurance and tax (or SORN) but if the MOT expires ...?

I think you can still get the transfer without current MOT. but you must have tax or SORN up to 12 months.
They only ask for the Cert. to amend the number.

"However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply to transfer provided:

* and the tax disc run out no more than 12 months before the date you apply"

Plate retention from SORN'ed vehicle - ijws15
We did it with the wife's number when her Audi was written off. Car was sorned and stood in the Audi repairer's yard.

Only issue we had was that the guilty party's insurer wanted the V5 but we would not release it until we had one with the new (non personal) number on.