Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - theterranaut
hi all,

just parked my car in an on-street marked space in Glasgow, which had a list of the charges on a sign and also the following wording: "no return within 3 hours".

But what does this mean? No returning to the specific space? To the area? If I move my car one space down the road in 3 hours time after obtaining another ticket, am I ok?

Doubtless this info is available on the Glasgow City Council website, but this doesn't seem to be available today. Apologies if this has been covered on the forum, but a forum search found nothing close.

thanks
tt
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - SpamCan61 {P}
I've always interpreted this as meaning you can't return to the continuous parking area within the time limit. e.g. If there's a short stretch of yellow lines beyond the bay my car's parked in then another bay then I assume I could park in the other bay before the 3 hours is up.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - ifithelps
It certainly means no return to that space.

Each ticket machine has its own number, so to be on the safe side, I would not return to any space using a ticket issued from that machine.

I came across something similar in a large northern city.

I had a word with a warden, telling him I had business at the crown court and wasn't sure if I would need to stay into the early afternoon.

The warden told me: "Basically, we are not bothered how long you stay so long as there's a valid ticket on your car."

Of course, the guy could have been lying, but I did buy a new ticket at dinner time without moving the car and I didn't get a parking ticket.

So it's worth having a word with a warden, particularly if you only need to stay an extra hour or so on a one-off basis.

Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - theterranaut
Thanks for the replies- interesting.

tt
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Mr X
Does 3 hours refer to the vehicle or the driver?
What if I used the car then returned home and my partner then went back to the same are to conduct their business in our jointly owned car ?
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Alby Back
The nature of my business is such that I often have to park in urban areas within easy reach of my destination as I regularly have to return to my vehicle to access kit. This often means that a meter or similar is my only real option. Many of them have these "no return within" restrictions. My meetings averagely take 3 hours or so.

Resultantly I am often faced with no choice but to feed meters. Maybe it's just luck but in a lifetime of doing that I've never been ticketed while doing so despite sometimes doing it under the very noses of the wardens.

I do sometimes though go and speak to them to explain my position and generally find them OK with that.

The most extreme example of warden cooperation I experienced was in Omagh in Northern Ireland. The town centre was choked with traffic and I had to unload on a loading area. There were no other available spaces. I spoke to the warden who told me to leave the car there but to tell him where I was working. About half a hour later he turned up at the business where I was having my meeting, asked for me and said "there's a meter free now sir" and he had put a cone in it to save it for me.

Excellent example of proactive parking management. If only more of them would take the view that their objective was not just collection of fines but of making the town centres they patrol work and in turn oil the wheels of their local economy as a result.

I can dream of course.....
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Cliff Pope
3 hours from time of issue of the ticket, or leaving the parking place, or expiry of the ticket?
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Nsar
You can't return until you've departed, so from the expiry, not the commencement. but that's just a common sense interpretation so appply the reverse.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Cliff Pope
So if you don't depart, you can simply renew on the same spot?
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - diddy1234
it means that once parked you can't return to your car for three hours so that the local criminals can pounce on your car without being disturbed !

Sorry couldn't resist.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - Dwight Van Driver
Not absolutely clear as it would seem could refer to bay or stretch of road covered by the No Waiting Order and which should define just what is exactly meant.

Bearing in mind the object of no return is to create' short term' parking facilities the could well be that the stretch of road named in the Order favourite.

dvd
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - SpamCan61 {P}
Bearing in mind the object of no return is to create' short term' parking facilities
the could well be that the stretch of road named in the Order favourite.
dvd

Ah right, so my interpretation is probably wrong then, I'd assumed that with 3 bays for example interspersed with yellow lines along one stretch of road I could move to a different bay and re-start my 3 hours or whatever time limit.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - commerdriver
Presumably there is other signage in the same place saying maximum stay 2 hours or whatever.
If so why would you assume that moving 10 yards further or whatever would be permitted.

Usual reason for these signs, as pointed out above, is to create short term parking for a number of people rather than long term parking for people who are near enough to move the car twice a day instead of parking in a car park which is intended for longer term parking.

Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - David Horn
Remember going to a university interview in Liverpool some years ago and querying this fact with a very nice traffic warden after I eventually found somewhere to park. She wasn't 100% sure but wrote and signed a note for me to put next to the ticket allowing me to stay all day. :-)

Edited by David Horn on 22/07/2009 at 18:06

In Liverpool you don't want to leave your car for too long anyway :-)
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - danensis
Nothing quite like a good sterotyping is there? I lived in inner-city Liverpool for many years, and never had any damage or theft from my vehicles - even on the summer nights when I parked the car and forgot to wind up the windows. As these were company cars they were all less than two years old, so not unattractive to car thieves.
It was an attempt at humour
However in my home town of Glasgow the new cars are not attractive to car thieves as they are too difficult to nick, the joyriders go for older cars without alarms, immobilisers etc.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - oldgit
It was an attempt at humour.........
as they are too difficult to nick the joyriders go for older cars without
alarms immobilisers etc.

Or Company cars with their windows left open!
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - wotspur

I'm sure my memory is correct in seeing a comedy sketch, many years ago, where the driver parked up,went off, came back and tried to drive off -all withim the space of a short period of time.

The sign, said "no return for 2hrs" and a warden tried to warn the driver, that the car hadn't been left long enough and they had to wait for the full 2 hours - prehaps they mean that ??
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - cepi
I was a few years ago in Myrtle Beach, Sourth Carolina. On the main street beside the beach which was busy it had a massive sign: No driving twice within 1 hour period. And many policemen on motorbikes enforcing,chasing, stopping and giving tickets to drivers who were cruising up and down the street *too* often.
Parking- "no return within 3 hours"- meaning...? - zookeeper
sounds like an infringement on human rights, what ever happened to freedom of movement...you pay your taxes etc etc ? ( im referring to the cruising post)

Edited by zookeeper on 25/07/2009 at 16:13