02 2.0 Car not starting - cathalmcg
Experiencing strange behavior with my 320D. Was running fine until Sunday when I stopped the car. When I came back and tried to start it again no joy. It was turning over but just not starting. My initial reaction was that it must be the battery. I got a set of jump leads and the car started. It was then parked for a few hours and when it came to starting same thing again. I attempted to start it again yesterday evening with the same result,I was bringing the car to my mechanic to have a look. When I got there with the car running he tested the battery with the meter and it read 14.5V, even after turning on air-con and headlights. Turned off the car to show him the problem but it started first time! All of a sudden the problem seemed to have gone. I have left the car with him to see if the same thing happens this morning.
I don't want to get the car back thinking that everything is alright when in fact there might be an underlying problem. He mentioned the fuel pump or the immobiliser could be at fault. How can you tell if either of these are at fault?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
02 2.0 Car not starting - bud
hi m8 i'm suffering the same problem as you. I have a 53 320d tourer and if you turn the key and hear a wuring noise in the driver footwell the car will start, no noise no start . i have replaced the inline fuel pump at a cost of £220 ( from bmw dealer) also the fuel pump relay £7 fault is still there. after checking wiring found no live feed getting to the inline pump (note this is intermittant fault) so now the conclusions are either a broken wire between fuel pump relay and pump or break in feed to the relay or loose connection ( still trying to trace wires atm ) or it could be a fault in the ignition barrel not sending live to the relay. BUT if you know of anyone who does auto electricals you could do as i have (temporary ) fit a switch between a permant live and the live feed to the pump ( located just under car next to end of gearbox accessd by removing small oblong panel about 6 8mm nuts ) mine is a small push button switch from cigarette lighter live ,switch in ashtray then fed through gear gater down to fuel pump then spliced into live wire just in front of connector . you just need to remember to press switch if car wont start off the key and to depress swith when getting out of car or pump will run continous. ( note normal wire plug is left intacked so the car may still fire off the key as it shuold the switch is just in case the pump doesn't sound when key is turned...... hope this helps