02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - sprocket
Hi.

I am new to this forum and I am searching for answers about...well....about my car...

Yesterday I took my car to a petrol station and was talking on the phone. I have been talking...unscrewing my fuel tank cap...started to refuel and....after a few seconds I realised I have ben puting PETROL IN MY CLIO DIESEL!

I was annoyed! Damn! how could I have ever been so stupid! Damn phone! I got so distracted that I have put wrong kind of fuel in my car!

I had to call for my car to be towed away and they will have to pump out remaining petrol.

So I have some questions...

Can there be some additional damage to my engine?

What would have happened, if I would turn the ignition key?

Is there any system that I could install that would prevent me from doing that?

It is quite easy for petrol users, because diesel nozzle is oversized and it doesn't fit into petrol vehicle, but you can easily put petrol into your diesel.

Swearing not allowed on this forum. Post modified, Rob (Moderator)

Edited by rtj70 on 20/07/2009 at 11:17

02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - rtj70
Can there be some additional damage to my engine?

If it was not started at all then it will not be damaged. But the fuel will need to be drained and the fuel filter replaced at the minimum.
What would have happened, if I would turn the ignition key?

It depends, if you'd driven for any distance then you'd be at risk of damaging the fuel injectors. If eventually they went then they'd end up in the engine causing extensive damage.
Is there any system that I could install that would prevent me from doing that?

For a start you're not meant to use mobile phones in fuel stations! So stop doing that for starters. There are a few aftermarket devices that work in a similar way to the Ford fuelling system that only allows the right size nozzle into the fuel tank. These replace the normal fuel cap. Prices vary.
02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - bell boy
try concentrating fueling car rather than using a mobile phone in an unsuitable enviroment
you dont need anything else
be alert
02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - injection doc
hopefully you now realise how distracting a mobile phone is ? to not read all the warning signs around the pumps warning you not to use your phone !
I hope you don't drive & use one.
may be your bill will remind you how expensive using your phone at an inapropriate time can be!
I think you were lucky to get away with what you did.
May be you need to watch some of the CCTV footage of pumps catching fire whilst refilling cars just by the static of cloathes. A phone is just another risk.
Diesel is not highly inflamable in its static state but as you were filling with petrol you were very high risk with your phone going.
irresponsible
02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - Simon
If you realised after a few seconds then I guess that you only managed to put a couple of litres of unleaded in. If that is the case I would have brimmed it with diesel and not worried about it.
02 1.5 Wrong fuel in my diesel car!!!! - Robin the Technician
My Son did exactly the same thing to his Mazda 6. He had only put a few seconds worth of petrol in it - so he then filled the tank (it was almost empty) with diesel. It did cough and splutter a little and he topped it up at every opportunity. He continues to use the car today without any problems - and that happened 2 years ago.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician