Early Oil changes - Focus1.8TDCi
If my car has only done about 2k - 3.5k miles after 1 year should the oil be changed or can I leave it for say an extra 3 months? I would normally change at around 9 months if I'm doing an average mileage. I do short trips (not in stop start traffic) and every few months do a 500 mile return trip. It's a mk1 focus tdci.

Another question I have is, is it legal to have different sized tyres on separate axles? Someone I know put 225 (width) at the back and 175 at the rear.
I meant 175 at the front
Early Oil changes - gordonbennet
I can't realistically comment about the oil changes being an advocate of overservicing.

Re the tyre sizes, i can't see any benefit of larger rear tyres on a FWD hatch.

Unless those rear tyres are the same rolling radius as the fronts, wouldn't the ABS be confused when it senses the wheels are travelling at different rotation speeds?
Early Oil changes - Rattle
If your car was the wrong size wheels I can also see that causing insurance problems.
Early Oil changes - Armitage Shanks {p}
It isn't the wheels that are different, it is the tyres. some cars have different size tyres front/rear but as it is part of the maker's spec I am sure it is legal. On this car it may not be!
Early Oil changes - Number_Cruncher
>>I do short trips

These are bad for the oil.

Look in your handbook, and see if adverse operating conditions are defined. If so, follow the servicing regime for adverse conditions.

Early Oil changes - Happy Blue!
Just had my Subaru serviced early - mainly for convenience reasons, but the handbook gives a definition of adverse operating conditions and recommends half time service intervals.
I think I will change the oil after 1 year to keep it consistent, and I take the point about adverse conditions.

The tyres are on a different car - astra estate. It was put on because 1 of the back tyres had a slow puncture so he had to replace both back ones with a pair of spare 225s - the standard sizes are 175.
Early Oil changes - MikeTorque
Definately change the oil for the Focus 1.8 TDCi. Short journeys in particularly cause soot & muck to collect in the oil. This engine benefits from regular oil & filter changes, fuel consumption tends to increase the more contaminated the oil becomes.

The Astra should have the same profile tyres fitted all round, it's not legal to drive it with mxed profiles, plus the insurance will be null/void/invalid. If the police stop the vehicle they can/will charge for motoring offences.
Ok thanks, I'll let him know about the tyres.
Early Oil changes - L'escargot
According to my Mk 1 Focus "Warranty and Service Guide" the recommended service interval is 12,500 miles or 12 months whichever is the sooner. I don't know whether the mileage interval applies to later models but I'm sure the time interval will.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/07/2009 at 08:12

Early Oil changes - a900ss
I think the oil question has been fully covered but I'd like to add to the tyre element of the question.

Provided the insurers have been made aware of the modification, I would be very surprised if this was illegal. My previous mercedes had 225's on the front and 245's on the rear. However, I would be more concerned about the safety. If the wheels were designed for 175 section tyres, I'm guess they would be 5 or 5.5J (width). A 225 tyre would not be able to fit safely on this width of wheel. I'm not sure but I reckon the smallest width wheel required for this tyre would be a 7.5J

Strongly advise to remove the wider tyres, not for legal reasons but for safety.

Edited by a900ss on 13/07/2009 at 10:17

Early Oil changes - MikeTorque
Performance Mercs come with wider rear wheel & tyres as standard and have been spec'd, tested and certified (e.g. Merc. AMG wheel/tyres spec is : front: 7.5J x 18 (225 / 40 tyres), rear: 8.5J x 18 (245 / 35 tyres)).

Whereas the above mentioned Astra isn't spec'd, tested and certified to comply with such criteria.