Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - tweet
Brand new to the site and wonder if some one can help (this has probably been asked 100 times).

Foolishly I didn't select legal cover when taking out my swift cover policy. Low and behold a young lad who'd just passed his test two weeks prior ran into the back of me on a busy road at 1.30 in the afternoon as I waited behind a bus which had parked up to let people on (there was no passing opportunity due to the oncoming traffic).

There was little damage down to my car but I had to get my bumper changed. The claim is now apparently in dispute (apparently admiral haven't responded) and my car insurance has come up for renewal I've just been hit with a £200 excess and my policy has went up by £100.

Can anybody advise how I can go about claiming my money back, is my only option to either wait for a response from admiral or can I take matters into my own hand. I did phone the police but they advised as there was no damage just to leave it to the insurance companies.

Luckily I had NCD cover or it could probably have been worse. I feel aggrieved that I've been penalised for waiting patiently in a queue of traffic.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - motorprop
always carry a camera in the car. You need to press Admiral to look at the case , though they may not speak to you direcly. If the facts are so clear - cut, you won't need legal cover.

Evidence, all buses ( in London at least ) carry recording equipment on board , including a rear camera. See if you can trace the company and get a copy of that date / time ?
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - Mapmaker
Memo for next time: ignore your own insurance company. Deal directly with the other party's. Then you don't get into issues of NCDs or renewal fees.

I bet the cost of the new bumper was less than the excess + premium loading (don't forget next year and the one after as well) anyway.
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - jbif
wonder if some one can help (this has probably been asked 100 times). >>

Yes. It has been asked possibly 100 times or more, such that HJ even has FAQs for this:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=126

And for those who need a hire car while their own is being repaired:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=139

Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - jc2
Send the owner/driver of the other car a COPY of your estimate/bill and ask him for the money;let him chase his own insurance company!!
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - martint123
And if that doesn't work it is easy and cheap to start a claim in the small claim track of teh courts - addressed to the DRIVER. This usually gets things moving rather quickly.

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index...m

Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - Hamsafar
I was with Swiftcover a few years ago and was hit by a van in a carpark, and I did have legal cover, but may as well not have bothered, they were useless and so was their approved repairer, so don't worry.

It sounds too late now, but in such a situation, there are companies who will take the matter on on your behalf, and they make their money from referring a hire car company, bodyshop and taking an admin fee from the third party. e.g. Most vehicle makers/dealerships and bodyshops will partnership with one of these outfits.
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - tweet
Thanks for the responses, not too angry at the lad that run into me he was just a young lad and had just passed his test and looked pretty shaken up but did expect the insurance company to do something hence the reason I fork out for car insurance every year.

I'm just keen to get my money back the words in dispute removed from my policy.
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - Mr X
In the event of any motoring accident from now on, I will simply turn up at my local no win - no fee solicitors and ask them to handle the whole thing. Have seen it done twice now in as many years ( friends and colleagues ) and both had very successful out comes with little or no aggro.
Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - John F
Brand new to the site and wonder if some one can help (this has probably
been asked 100 times).

It's always worth a reminder that your insurance company insures you for expensive bills you choose not to pay out of your own pocket. If not your fault, you need only REPORT the matter to them. This is not the same as CLAIMING money from them. They should not alter your premium or excess - and your 'no claims bonus' should remain intact.

The trouble with their 'legal protection' is that as soon as you use it, that is probably interpreted as a 'claim'.

If reasonably intelligent and confident, the best thing is to decline the 'legal cover' bit and pursue the guy for your reasonable expenses, involving a solicitor or small claims court if necessary.

Guy ran into back of me, I have no legal cover - Lou_O
Be thankful that the guy was insured!

There are plenty of uninsured drivers out there and if one of them had hit you you'd certainly be looking at losing some money. Small claims court etc isn't much help when the guilty party is potless and can't pay you back.