01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - Parkton
Hi, A question about my daughters newly acquired 2001 Vauxhall Corsa SXi, 1.2 16v 3 door.

Car appears very tidy for year and the only thing I can find fault with is the drivers seat, in that the lever to tilt the seat back forwards appears to be jammed and immovable i.e. seat back can't tilt forward to let out a rear passenger. The front passenger seat works fine with just a light touch. What I want to ask is:

a) To save time and effort, is this a fault that can be cured fairly easily and if so any tips/tricks on what to look for and do? If not, am I best off looking to get another seat from a breaker?

b) Is this likely to be an Mot failure point? In all other respects the seat is fine, but i would imagine a tester would try to tilt the seat forwards so as to get at the rear seat belts for checking, and thus discover the problem described.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 06/07/2009 at 21:50

01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - Robin the Technician
Hi,
I suspect that a cable has broken preventing release of the latch. I would think a trip to your local Vauxhall dealer parts department will confirm this. A cable will probably be much cheaper than another seat from a breakers. It may be necessary to partially strip the seat down to check/ replace the cable.

Whether its an MOT failure I can't advise i'd be surprised if it was.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - Dynamic Dave
b) Is this likely to be an Mot failure point?

Doesn't appear to be.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_620.htm

01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - Victorbox
You may find that taking the tension off the catch by pushing seat back firmly either towards or away from steering wheel whilst pushing firmly on the catch will release a jammed seat back. You may need to wiggle seat back too!
01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - Parkton
Hi all,

I decided on trying the seat catch tension relieving suggestion first. After a half hour playing the role of a crash test dummy, bouncing about in the seat, bingo! The seat went back and me with it, but it's now working fine. I have a very pleased daughter, but i'm worn out.

Thanks for your relies.
01 1.2 3 door: driver's seat problem - topbloke
its not an mot failure as such may generate an advise but drivers seat don't seem to be moved about much and especially exiting (i dont mean that it should not be used but most rear passengers exit on the safe side ie passnger side so the drivers side is somewhat stiffer/partially seized ) any way its sorted now,regards TB