98 1.1 erratic starting - scrumpyjax
My zest has developed a starting fault---sometimes it wont!! Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold and if I leave it awhile it will usually go again.
It let me down this weekend and while I had the bonnet up I heard a click from under the ecu plate.
I think it was from the fuel injection relay. Anyway, it started then.
So......is it an ecu fault.? or something in the fuel circuit ??...it doesn't idle very well either.
Can I fix it without going to a dealer??
98 1.1 erratic starting - bell boy
never had an ecu fault on a pewgot 106
check all connections are good ,specifically the ones that tend to go green.
it could be the crank senser
it could be the ignition switch
it could be the loom
it could be the battery terminals

check them out bro :-)
98 1.1 erratic starting - madf
Transponder in column reading security code. Cost approx £15..

98 1.1 erratic starting - Peter D
Yep immobiliser aeriel around the ignition barrel very common in that year. A sure sign is that when it does start it instantly runs perfectly. Regards Peter
Thanks madf, but I don't follow you...this little pig has no central locking or immobilisers...so I don't think there will be a transponder??
Got another suggestion??
98 1.1 erratic starting - Peter D
Does not have central locking but does have an Immobiliser I have replace several of these aerials. Regards Peter
Does not have central locking but does have an Immobiliser I have replace several of
these aerials. Regards Peter

Peter...that's news to me because I've been using the car for nearly a year and haven't a clue about an immobiliser or how to use it or where it is !!
I've spoken to the previous owners and they aint got a clue either.
Could we be talking about different models??
98 1.1 erratic starting - Dynamic Dave
haven't a clue about an immobiliser or how to use it or where it is

Most probably a transponder chip in the keyfob that communicates with a receiver by the ignition switch.

All 106's from May 1997 had a Thatcham Category2 immobiliser as a factory fit in the UK.

www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/Passenge...f

Thanks Dave.....I just double checked the v5 and first registration was may1998 so as you say..it should have the Thatcham immobiliser fitted.----I suppose I will have to find and replace the transponder and get the right key for it.
Cars only used as a runaround and it's not worth spending a load of cash on it.
Is there a cheap way round it---bypass the immobiliser or something??
Thanks Peter D, I took the plastics off and found the aerial--where do I shop for a new one and will I need to have the key matched to it or will it be ok as it's just the aerial?
Many thanks.
98 1.1 erratic starting - elekie&a/c doctor
Get the part from Peugeot, around £20.It is not coded as it is only an aerial pick up.I,m not convinced this will fix it.Let us know.hth
Get the part from Peugeot around £20.It is not coded as it is only an
aerial pick up.I m not convinced this will fix it.Let us know.hth

Got the part and fitted it--over 19days now and no hassle. One thing I did notice though was that the screw that holds the ignition barrel in place was very loose-- I tightened it up, but wonder if that may have been the cause of the problem- with the barrel moving around within the fixed aerial.???
Thanks for all the help-----now to get the old 216 sorted---same sort of problem,intermittent starting, but only once it's been going for a short while and you switch off, it often won't restart--you have to wait awhile till it feels better,then it'll go!!!!!--Suggestions?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/07/2009 at 21:58

98 1.1 erratic starting - madf
The 106 immobiliser problem is well known: had it on son's. It is VERY common..

No idea on 206s.