05 1.6 Air Conditioning - Jonronston
Hey all, first time post here.

I've got the 115 version of the Focus, and I am very pleased with the car so far, had it for about 9 months.

However, I recently got a Ford franchised dealer to carry out an air conditioning service as the air conditioning wasn't blowing as cold as it should. It came back and the air con was nice and cold and all was good.

A week after the service, I switched the air con and and noticed that with the air con on the car was making quite a groaning sound, quite loud as I could here it above the radio. I confirmed it was the air conditioning as when I turned it off, the groaning stopped.

I returned the car to the Ford dealer for them to diagnose the problem. They came back and said that the compressor and clutch assembly needs replacing at a total cost of £950. I was quite shocked as you can imagine at the cost, and obviously did not get the work done.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if it is right to be suspicious that although the air con still blows cold, it has broken so shortly after the dealer had serviced it, and not noticed any problems?

I was thinking of getting a second diagnosis from an independent in the Leeds/Bradford area, if anyone knows of a good one?

Would appreciate a response, sorry about the long post!!
05 1.6 Air Conditioning - henry k
>>A week after the service, I switched the air con and and noticed that with the air con on the car was making quite a groaning sound, quite loud as I could here it above the radio. I confirmed it was the air conditioning as when I turned it off, the groaning stopped.
>>
I had the same auful noises from my Mondeo.
It needed a new compressor. The compressor cost £200+ .
I used a mobile guy to do the job. Fitting a new dryer , regas and labour was about £450.
05 1.6 Air Conditioning - Jonronston
henry k
So did you need to pay for the compressor, new dryer, regas and labour, so about £650?
05 1.6 Air Conditioning - henry k
Total was approx £450.I found a good A/C mobile ( having previously wasted money on a re gas.) who first diagnosed no leaks and then did the rest of the work.
By law the gas has to be extracted before the work is done and then of course the system is regassed.

Some info /contacts here
www.ac4cars.co.uk/
05 1.6 Air Conditioning - Woodspeed
Air con systems can also make a noise if too much gas is put in. You can get a cheap bottle of top up from Halfords and others with a gauge on, and see if the system has had too much added.
05 1.6 Air Conditioning - R2-CMax
I had to have a new compressor on my 54 Focus C-Max (not unreasonable to think it may be the same part). Can't remember the exact cost, but it was in the realms of £250-£400, certainly way less than the £900+ you were quoted. Mine had basically cracked open and the UV dye from the refridgerant was all over the place, according to the guys from Rapidfit.

Not the first report I've seen of knackered A/C compressors on Focus II/Cmax that I've seen either, but not clear whether this is a systemic problem for this model yet.