93 1.0 Fluid leak from engine,no response in gears - ged-i
Found an oily (clear, light, brown) substance to be leaking from my girlfriends car the other day - 1.0l Nissan Micra, 93 i think (L reg).

Had an inspection under car, and could see it pouring from what we now believe to be the gear box.

We came to this conclusion because the following morning, we tried to drive to a garage to get repaired, goit 200 yards from home to a junction, changed gears and absolutely nothing happened, revved as if we were in neutral and slamming my foot on accelorater.

I think this is going to be quite a major job, and just hoping someone could maybe advise on what may have caused this, and is it likely to be a cheap fix, or is it worth saying to goodbye to this otherwise very reliable (but old) little motor?

Any advice help would be greatly appreciated.

Ged

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/06/2009 at 13:31

93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - Dynamic Dave
Guessing that the oil has got onto the clutch lining. Either that or if the clutch is hydraulically operated, there is not enough hydraulic oil left in the system to operate the clutch.

Either way, it does sound clutch related though.
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - GregSwain
Guessing that the oil has got onto the clutch lining. Either that or if the
clutch is hydraulically operated...

Am 99% sure it's a cable-operated clutch on these.
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - RichardW
Two scenarios I think:

1. Fluid is clutch fluid, suggesting failure of the clutch and operating mechanism.
2. Fluid is gearbox oil, suggesting failure of the box itself.

Either way, gearbox probably needs to come out to confirm extent of repairs required.

If it's one, then probably a few hours labour, plus clutch kit and slave cylinder - maybe £300 depending on where you are. If it's two, then few hours labour, clutch kit, and replacement 'box. I'd imagine you could get one for a 93 Micra from a breakers without too much aggro - more like in the £400 - £500 range I'd have thought. What did the oil smell like - gearbox oil is usually very smelly!

Either way, probably more than the car is worth as a going concern, but if you like it and it have given good service and is otherwise good (aren't these the ones that rot out the front crossmember?) then I would be tempted to repair. £500 doesn't buy a lot of car these days.
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - ged-i
Cheers for the quick answers!

Clutch is cable operated.

The oil was very odd smelling - sweet but gassy! (don't know if that helps)

But you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions...... very expensive and more than car is actually worth!
Now to be the breaker of bad news :(

Thanks!
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - dereckr
"The oil was very odd smelling - sweet but gassy!"

That's a pretty good description of gearbox oil...
Cheers.....

just to answer advice abouth clutch - its not long had a new clutch put in (12months max) so i'd be surprised if it was that, although i've been told the oil could be making it slip/spin(?!?!?)
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - bell boy
s/h gearbox £50
new clutch (recon will do) £35
labour £100
job done
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - GregSwain
its not long had a new clutch put in (12months max) so i'd be surprised if it was that

The clutch friction plate needs to be dry in order to engage (bite). It's made from very similar stuff to brake-pads. If oil gets through from the gearbox, you end up with an oily friction plate which won't grip, and the clutch doesn't bite.

The problem is a gearbox oil seal which has obviously failed. You could either have your existing box rebuilt (at great cost), or buy one from a scrapyard as others have suggested. Either way, the clutch is ruined now, so you need a new one of them too.

Edited by GregSwain on 29/06/2009 at 17:36

93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - RichardW
A g'box oil leak is unlikely to cause a sudden total loss of dirve from the clutch - it will work oily, they just tend to judder and grab, and maybe slip under heavy load. I am pretty sure in this case some part of the box internals has made a bid for freedom and smashed the casing hence the oil leak and the loss of drive. May well find once the box is out that the (newish) clutch is perfectly serviceable still.

Edited by RichardW on 30/06/2009 at 09:22

another thing i noticed last night was the clutch...... and pretty much has just been explained in last 2 messages.
put the car in gear (thru 1-5 in order) with handbrake on, took foot off clutch and it would usually stall. it didn't once.
There was a terrible judder/clunking sound until my foot was down firm on clutch.
Also tried to put in gear without using clutch. Was expecting to hear the usual bite grinding sound, but nothing.

I now think that its going to be a case of all of the above mentioned.

Don't suppose a gearbox/clutch re-build is something pretty straightforward to a less than novice mechanic????!!!
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - bell boy
Don't suppose a gearbox/clutch re-build is something pretty straightforward to a less than novice mechanic????!!!
>>>>.
>>>>>>>>>>what are you like at gluing bits of gearbox up?
93 1.0 Fluid leaking from engine, no response in g - mickyh7
Read Bell boys answer-£185 ish - Its not rocket science-Its a scrapyard car,so get your bits from the scrapyard. Get a backstreet garage to do the work-This is how people run old cars i.e. a brand new altenator for your car,from the Dealers,would cost more than your car is worth. Scrapyard-£20 - No brainer ! Same with all new parts - Good Luck !
eventually had to get this towed into a local garage.
Turns out that the O/S/F driveshaft had made a break for freedom.
Ending up costing £260, but included towing, gear oil, cleaning up clutch.

Car driving very well once again

Thanks for all help/advice/suggestions

Ged