03 2.0 Knocking noise from engine - smartalex
Hi,
I have recently re engined my Pug with an engine from a breakers. All seemed well, the engine starts easily, runs smoothly and feels like a tight low mileage engine, except it has developed a knocking noise and behaviour I don?t recognise and I would value second opinions.
Occasionally, perhaps once every other trip, a light metallic clicking noise will develop at about 2.5-3k revs. This sounds like a hydraulic tappet type noise but it then gets louder and starts to knock, which sounds like a big end knock. If I dip the clutch I can feel the vibration clearly on the pedal. The noise can be quite loud as I rev the engine with the clutch in. If I continue to drive normally the knocking stops after 30 seconds or so and I can continue to drive without a any problems. The crank shaft pulley appears to be in good order. Has anyone had a DMF behave like this?

Any opinion much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2009 at 01:39

03 2.0 Knocking noise from engine - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin
That will be the DMF
03 2.0 Knocking noise from engine - smartalex
Hi,

Here is a follow up in case this happens to you.

Having a fault on your car is one thing, but having a fault that you can't diagnose can drive you round the bend! I was just about to go for a new DMF when I decided to take the car out again to 'end it or mend it'. I rallied the car around Northumberland for two hours trying invoke the fault but the car ran perfectly. I was just starting to think that the problem had disappeared when I made sharp right turn and the engine started to rattle again. As usual this gradually developing into a knock, but this time it was bright sun shine and I saw a large plume of smoke behind the car. I depressed the clutch and switched off the engine but the engine ran on and the revs started to clime! I put the car into 4th gear and stalled the engine. I had to smile because I now new what the problem was.

My turbo was damaged and the compressor was leaking oil into the inlet manifold. I restarted the engine expecting the worst, but the engine started and drove home without incident. When I got home I opened the boost pipe at the entry to the inter cooler and drained a pint of oil!

Luckily the new engine came with a turbo. I didn't use it because I believed the turbo from the old engine was serviceable, so I fitted the old one. I now believe this turbo was damaged when the old engine failed.

Oh well, engine out again. Still better than changing the DMF just to find the fault was still there, now that would be depressing.

Just when you think you can recognize every knock and rattling noise a new one comes along, we live and learn:-)