Help. Which 4x4? - RussVarley
Hi

Looking for some advice about 4x4's. Due to recent move to the top of the North Yorkshire Moors and the arrival in feb of our first baby, we are looking to buy a 4x4, but as a confirmed SUV sceptic I'm a bit lost in this world of transfer boxes etc, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have about 9K to spend and it has got to be able to accomodate the two of us, the new arrival and 4 big irish setters comfortably enough to travel down to Devon (750 mile round trip approx). We have narrowed it down to two, both diesel, but I can't decide between them. First is the Isuzu Trooper LWB and second is the Toyota Landcruiser. Which ever we pick has got be reliable and last for a good few years. Can anyone offer advice?

Just for info; ones we have ruled out (although I'm open to a persausive argument) are: Fourtrak - only two door as far as I know, Disco - poor reliability and a bit "townie" (apologies to all disco owners), Maverick/Terrano 2 - a little small, and Range Rover - we don't, unforunately, own a stately home!

Thankyou very much in advance.
Help. Which 4x4? - John S
Russ

probably a silly question, but why a 4x4?

It's the last thing you need for long motorway journeys, due to poor economy and poor ride quality compared to a decent 'normal' car. If you're worried about the Yorkshire weather why not a large estate for the long runs which will be more economical and comfortable, and an old 4x4 for the local trips?

Frankly on normal roads 4x4 isn't a big help. You maybe able to keep going in awful weather but you can be sure you'll still be stuck by a string of conventional cars blocking your way!

I ran a RR for a year and believe you me the fuel consumption and rolypoly handling got to me in the end!

Regards

John S
Help. Which 4x4? - Steve S
Russ,

I agree with John - I still have a RR mainly because the only way I will get any value out of it is tho run it 'til it dies.

Anything by Land Rover is bound to spend as much time in the garage as on the road (any hopes that the new RR would fare better are diminishing - see HJ's column in the Telegraph).

A diesel Jap 4x4 might help on the cost of running but if I was in your position I'd get a V70 - or an Audi estate. Both are available in four wheel drive versions with extra ground clearance if you really need it.
Help. Which 4x4? - Harmattan
John and Steve are thinking along the right lines. However, your main accommodation requirement seems to be for the four dogs + luggage you don't want to be rattling around with the little one on long trips. A very tough dog/luggage guard is needed or put the luggage in a roof box. On space grounds, I believe the Landcruiser outdoes the Trooper. Colleagues who have had both of these as company vehicles have used them happily and with scarcely a problem up to the 70K miles replacement mark and there is no reason to suppose they would give the next owners any extraordinary problems if kept well. The same could not be said for Discoveries previously run by the same drivers.

I would add in the bigger Subaru estates as reliable possibilities. If you accept Mercedes reliability and the potentially high cost if something goes wrong, there is the immensely-strong G-wagen which just creeps into your price bracket in its phase II permanent 4WD format, or the 4-matic estate car.

David
Help. Which 4x4? - Richard Hall
Four Irish Setters is a lot of dog. Might be worth looking at one of the dual cab pickups (Toyota, Mitsubishi etc) with a Truckman top on the back. More pleasant to drive than you would think, well kitted and pretty much unbreakable (ask the Taliban, if you can find them). Lots of unofficial Japanese imports about, but UK official imports a bit thin on the ground.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Thanks Guys for the advice.

The reason we want a 4x4 is that our house is 2 miles from the nearest road and we get moors weather where we live, in the forest on the top of the moor. It can be brilliant winter sunshine in the valley at Pickering and up in the forest its 2 feet deep in snow. Also with an eye to the future we are also looking to take on some land to keep our own animals on(cattle pigs etc).

Thanks again

PS I must say I'm inclined to agree with the problem of the rolly-polly ride, my current car is a "proper" LH drive french 205 rallye!
Help. Which 4x4? - Richard Hall
I am green with envy on all counts. Beautiful location, a 2 mile private (presumably loose surfaced) road and a rally car to play with. Let me know if you have to go abroad for a few years and want someone to look after the house, car and dogs.

BTW, if you are planning to keep livestock, a double cab Hilux makes even more sense. You can reclaim the VAT as well, if you are VAT registered.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Help. Which 4x4? - GJD
Given the running costs of a large 4x4, would it be cheaper to station 2 dogs in Devon and 2 in Yorkshire and drive between them when necessary in a normal car?

GJD
Help. Which 4x4? - Dwight Van Driver
Knowing the terrain then may I suggest that you look at a Defender 110, a real workhorse.

DVD

PS Don't forget your tin hat as from the sound of it your coming near Fylindales which is on Sadam's map for attention if Blair gets his way.
Help. Which 4x4? - Harmattan
Russ

Just realised I used to own the ideal compromise vehicle for your situation but there is a catch--only 10 RHD examples were built. The VW Tristar was effectively a Type II Double Cab pickup with the syncro 4WD system. The cabin was equipped to Caravelle standards with twin heaters, captain's chairs, readinglights and that type of thing. PAS made it easy to drive and mine had the 2.1 injection engine which made it a great motorway cruiser. The syncro system cut in automatically when drive was lost to the normal-driving rear wheels. I saw one in France the other week with a hardtop on the back which creates a 6ft long platform for the dogs or carting all that country gear around. It towed up to 2t if I remember correctly. Plus there were enormous underfloor luggage lockers.

However, fashionable it isn't but an excellent tool. I had it two years or so (about 35K miles) and the only serious problem was a duff ECU fixed under warranty and a front driveshaft which took a day to locate through VW.

The reason I mention it is that you might find a 'new' Transporter in syncro Caravelle form. I don't think the later Transporter syncro got the Tristar luxury treatment.

One last thought. I too live in the country but whenever I have a 4WD we always have a run of mild winters. That's why I opted currently for a BX 4x4 estate rather than something bigger.

David
Help. Which 4x4? - Baskerville
The farmers round me (Lancashire) opt for two cheaper more specialized vehicles, rather than one expensive compromise. These are usually a Daihatsu diesel 4x4 (indestructible) and a diesel Astra estate (tough enough, but cheap to fix anyway). The one does the fields and the essential bad weather trips (one of them I know has a small home-built snowplough that he fixes to the front), the other does the regular trips with dogs and kids (and sometimes sheep). The number of times they need to do both in combination makes it pointless to run a large 4x4. That lot should come in at about the same as a Trooper.

Chris
Help. Which 4x4? - T Lucas
Any of the Japanese 4x4 wont let you down and they are not really very expensive to run.Insurance can be reasonable,mid to low 20s mpg with a turbo diesel,servicing need not be expensive,tyres can be bought for about £40 a corner and they last a long time.If you stick to Toyota,Mitso,Isuzu etc you wont go far wrong.
Wow, all I can say is thank you very much for all the advice and I'll let you know what I get in the end (hopefully a week or two)

PS The road is loose surface but unfortunately shared with a couple of other residents but hey, whilst the cats are away....!
Help. Which 4x4? - PB
How about a Subaru Legacy 4WD Estate + a non-depreciating no tax classic insurance Land-Rover?