Off to Le Mans - tack
Am off to Le Mans this weekend. Really excited as I have never been before. In fact, never been to any form of motor race!

Going to try to get there in time for the drivers parade on Friday, will watch the start and stay for a few hours on Saturday, visit during the night and go for the finish on Sunday.

I am only going because I am in a position to do so, being newly retired. It has always had an aura of glamour about it. It is one of the must do's to tick off in my book of things to experience before I die.

Anyone else ever been? Any useful advice (other than to stay alive until I at least get there!)?
Off to Le Mans - smokie
Yes, Tack, in fact this is the first year I've not been since 1997. Sounds like you are not camping at the track, which is the "proper" way to do it.

I'm going to mail you with the address of another site which I moderate. You're really a bit late asking questions there though, as most of the guys have already left... Oh, and it's been raining a fair bit today apparently, but is supposed to brighten up later in the week.

One of the guys produces a fantastic guide answering just about everything you could want to know, so I'll also put the link in for that.

Suffice to say that it is a fantastic event and the only thing you'll regret is not being there for longer.

Edited by smokie on 08/06/2009 at 23:31

Off to Le Mans - Lud
I've never been to Le Mans. But proper endurance racing will leave everlasting images and impressions. You will want to see a good slow bend and a good fast one, and lots of other stuff too.

Gruelling but well worth it. Do it while you're young.
Off to Le Mans - spikeyhead {p}
I went every year from 1995 until 2001, when an accident on the Mulsanne straight smashed my right shoulder, haven't been back since.

Do not, under any circumstances, meet the Race? What Race? group that will be camping in the Team Languostine area and start drinking with them unless you have a spare liver.

Do take a motorhome rather than a tent. The campsite toilets are not pleasant affairs.

Do enjoy yourself at the fair. If the 30mph petrol powered dodgems are still there, expect to come away happy but damaged.
Off to Le Mans - tack
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciated. Other commitments prevent me going before Friday.

I never thought about camping there.......a bit like Glastonbury for petrolheads? We are staying close by in a farmhouse. However, if I like it enough I might go next time with a tent.

Cheers
Off to Le Mans - mattviatura
You are going to love this weekend.

As you've never been to a motorsport event before you are not quite going to believe the noise level, initially it's an explosion but as the cars spread out it becomes a constant aural assault. You'll learn how to speak in the dead seconds.

Make sure you move round the track, all the major corners are signposted 'Virage Arnage' etc.

Remember to leave your liver and your dignity at Dover.

We're leaving in 72 hours.
Off to Le Mans - smokie
Re moving around, there is a lot you can walk to but there is also a lot you can't. Although there are ways, you might not get to see the cars screaming down Mulsanne straight, but you can get to the corner - same at Arnage corner. However the gendarmes impose a one way route during the race and it can get very congested. So I'd say there is plenty you can see without leaving the main area, in your first year at least.

Going earlier in the week you can see the scrutineering of the cars in Le Mans town centre, the night practice sessions, and do the pit walk during Friday. It is all very open and accessible, and you never know who you might end up chatting to - I've chatted to many drivers (who aren't surrounded by an entourage as per F1, and aren't usually in rush to get away) and also some team principals - Hugh Chamberlain, Dave Richards, Henri Pescarolo etc.

It's hard to know what's going on - who's in, who's out, who's in the lea - but take with you a portable radio with earphones and there is Radio le Mans to keep you up to date.
Off to Le Mans - boxsterboy
This is on my 'to do' list as well.

Now we've got a camper van I could do it in luxury! Is it worth taking a bicycle to get around or is it too crowded/not allowed?
Off to Le Mans - smokie
A bicycle is ideal during the week before the race, and during the race to get around outside the track (e.gf. to Mulsanne or Arnage) - although the roads are a bit narrow and not all drivers are sober or sane so care is needed. Last year the stewards were stopping people taking bikes through the most busy areas (and in fact during the race it's mostly too busy to make it worthwhile) but they could still be used to cycle from the camping which is handy.

Camping tickets are hard to come by from the ACO but there are agencies which can provide tickets. Camping is, in most places, "primitive". The only semi-properly equipped camping (power to most pitches) is Houx (note NOT Houx Annex).

Entry tickets are available throughout the race, on the door. An entry ticket is valid for the whole week and costs about ?50 this year IIRC. (Used to also get you into the now-abandoned test weekend a couple of weeks before the main event).

Edited by smokie on 09/06/2009 at 14:34

Off to Le Mans - boxsterboy
Thanks
Camping is in most places "primitive". The only semi-properly equipped camping (power
to most pitches) is Houx (note NOT Houx Annex).

That makes the van seem even more luxurious (water, power, fridge, heater, 3 gas grilles, WC, TV, iPod :-) )
Off to Le Mans - smokie
OK, you're camping with the girlies then. Real men do it under canvas ;-)

I used to take my caravan which I admit was great, especially if the weather was a bit on the wet side (mostly it isn't). I'll admit, it was nice having some of the luxuries...
Off to Le Mans - tack
Having read all the comments here, I am busting with excitement.

We are on the 7.30am Eurotunnel, so should be in situ at house with plenty of daylight left and to have a few beers.

Is the food at the track better than the grease burgers you'd find in the UK?
Off to Le Mans - spikeyhead {p}
Food is vaguely similar, expect to find plenty of Croque Monsieur as well as burgers, though you'll often find good home made relish with the burgers.

After my first year there under canvas, and subsequently in motorhomes, I know that I prefer having mains power, satellite tele, hot showers and a toilet that doesn't make me vomit from the smell. Gas cooking and air con are also a plus.
Off to Le Mans - mattviatura
Radio definitely.

Avoid:

Shower stalls, I've seen all the interior walls collapse while four blokes were showering.

The doughnut things at the track.

The Harlequin roundabout at anytime in an open top car.

A spectacularly inebriated man called Stanley on any of the ferries.

Me past about 10:30pm.

Seriously, have a great time, you'll love it. I can't wait.
Off to Le Mans - Sofa Spud
I went to LeMans several times during the 90's - here's a few thoughts.
Congestion getting to the track from the city can be terrible.
Some of the cars are painfully noisy.
After an hour or two, most of the cars will be on different laps - but there is a place that gives out hourly placings sheets free of charge.
The motor museum at the circuit is well worth the visit.
You can spend a lot of money, very quickly, on nothing very much.
Plenty of nice looking young women about the place - and for the ladies, plenty of handsome men!

Take care on the way down. The route is fairly straightforward with good roads.
French drivers aren't as bad as their reputation, but you do get nutters, like you do here.
Blind follow-through overtaking on those long straight roads is something you see more in France than here - don't be tempted!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/06/2009 at 01:03

Off to Le Mans - smokie
Often the worst drivers I've seen are Brits going to or from Le Mans, more often than not travelling in convoy in fancy sports cars. The gendarmes have cracked down hard in recent years and you will see many speed traps on the most common routes, all the way from Le Mans to the port. There are stories of people being fined ?'000s and having cars confiscated until they appear in court - quite which are true I'm not sure.

Race cars should be noisy, and don't sound right when they aren't. The Audis and Peugeots (diesels) give no indication of their approach and just hiss past you. Give me a Corvette, or one of the old Panoz racecars, any day. They are a bit much when you are in the main grandstand area but if you wear ear plugs for your radio or ear defenders you'll survive.

The museum has been revamped for this year and apparently is a lot better. For those camping, it also offers a dry haven with half decent toilets :-) But this year the price has more than doubled.

Surprised that you managed to spend a lot of money, I suppose that's the difference being there for a week and just dropping in on race day. Having done a lot of sniffing round during the lead-up, many of us campers didn't feel the need to "do" the village. Most of my expenditure was on beer, wine, French bread and assorted bits of meat for me to incinerate.
Off to Le Mans - tack
Driving in France holds no fears for me. I love it! I mind my p's & q's, have my spare bulbs, 1st aid kit, triangle, yellow jackets, keep to the speed limit, pull over now and again in an "aire de whatever" for a quick 40 winks and a shot of caffeine.

Given the choice, it is drive every time, rather than fly.

I have taken the hint and have got some ear plugs, me lug'oles are sensitive!

Weather forecast looks good! tinyurl.com/5u24z

Off to Le Mans - Lud
Driving in France holds no fears for me. I love it! I mind my p's & q's,

Quite right tack. Better than here usually.

Have a great time.
Off to Le Mans - tack
I was looking at this piece of film from 1969 of a GT40 going round the track. The driver commented that at the Mulsanne Bend he has to brake from 200mph to 30mph in 300yds. Doesn't your face fall off doing that?

Another commentator mentioned that it was a great weekend for the French. I assume that very few Brits' made their way there in those days, apart from die hard 5* leaded petrol heads with money.

tinyurl.com/nd9l6q

Edited by tack on 11/06/2009 at 08:19