An unknown animal appears to be eating my car !!! - old crocks
Good evening gentlemen.

I've been lurking in the corner of this virtual pub for a few months, soaking up the words of wisdom, but I now need some advice.

I live in a suburban area with my Focus parked off-road overnight.

This morning when I went out to get in the car I noticed some small pieces of black rubber, about half an inch across, lying just in front of the front wheel. On inspection I realised they had come from the end of the " rubber " strip along the bottom of the front valance, where there were what looked like teeth marks.

There was also some damage to the other end of the strip.

I am suspecting the foxes as they had left some other less pleasant calling cards !!

Has anyone else experienced this?

If they will chew this rubber will they move on to tyres and hoses?

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/06/2009 at 14:29

Foxes eating my car !!! - bell boy
i would be thinking rats
or if near water mink
Foxes eating my car !!! - Lud
Squirrels would be my bet. Mischievous little brutes. Foxes are practical beasts focused on food and sex. They - squirrels not foxes - got in the roof of my wife's house in Sussex and tore up all the fibreglass matting above the ceilings, and stuffed the bits into the eaves to keep the draught out I suppose. Of course chewing all that glass fibre can't have done them much good, but they didn't know of course so just went on doing it.

They used to gnaw through the rubber hoses on the gas cylinders outside the kitchen too, sometimes right through letting the gas out. You can shoot them in the country although you have to keep doing it. Not so easy in the suburbs. Air rifle with military scope perhaps? But be discreet.

Edited by Lud on 09/06/2009 at 00:30

Foxes eating my car !!! - old crocks
Rats? - I hope not.

Mink? - Can't afford them around here.

Squirrels? - Just rats with bushy tails. There is a wooded common only 100yds away and I know they are there but I haven't seen them so a long stakeout may be necessary to catch them.

Foxes walk our streets day and night and there were plenty of signs of activity from last night. So they got the blame!

I'm just concerned that whoever they are might have got the taste and be back for more!
Foxes eating my car !!! - zookeeper
be careful what you touch and wash your hands before you eat any thing (bit late now but for future reference) rat urine can contain leptospirosis and is a killer , it destroys the kidneys...sorry for sounding a bit alarmist ive been on a health an safety course (pain in the butt) cheers ..zoo
Foxes eating my car !!! - ifithelps
Wise words from our resident Johnny Morris.

A woman died a few months ago after releasing a rat which had become trapped in her bird feeder.

Back to the problem, I think you need to find out the beast involved before deciding what to do next.

Collect the poo and try to find someone to identify it - local wildlife/animal rescue centre, or university might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Foxes eating my car !!! - nick
Post a picture of the poo and I'll tell you if it's a fox....on the other hand, maybe not.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Old Navy
My BIL has urban foxes resident outside the rear of his garden where several cars are parked. In many years they have not damaged any cars. They cause a mess looking for food and can be noisy but I would put the damage down to other "residents".
Foxes eating my car !!! - Farmer Boy
I've had my chickens killed on several occasions by foxes, and had some unkind things to say about city dwellers who feed them!

I always said that if foxes attacked their cars thay would soon do something about them perhaps they might now!
Foxes eating my car !!! - Old Navy
I see that the urban / rural divide is alive and well! I was reared urban, and live rural, best of both worlds.
Foxes eating my car !!! - gmac
Gravel driveway or chicken wire/fine lattice work under the engine bay usually stops them.

Alternatively, ultrasound like devices can be fitted or sprays such as tinyurl.com/l3algr (link to German aftermarket site ATU) used.
Foxes eating my car !!! - bintang
I don't suppose there are any porcupines in the area? They eat cars, at any rate mine did. It got loose and took a bite out of the running board, not of my very ancient, battered Austin 7 but of my brand-new VW Beetle.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Pugugly
The other alternative is to get a really good dog. My (ageing sadly) Springer will guard the area where he sleeps with due diligence - he'll take on most legitimate targets - never had trouble with foxes of the four legged or two legged variety.
Foxes eating my car !!! - sierraman
I agree with Lud,squirrels,they are rodents,their chisel like front teeth grow constantly and they have to gnaw to wear them down.Get an air rifle,you can eat them(squirrels,not air rifles),becoming a popular dish and it helps redress the balance in favour of our native red.
Foxes eating my car !!! - DP
I know they're vermin, but I've always had a grudging respect for the squirrel's unbelievable intelligence, which has been scientifically proven to extend to basic problem solving.

I remember they used to sit in the oak trees in our office car park, and I could have sworn they were deliberately lobbing the acorns at us as we walked to the cars of an evening.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Colleague had a holiday to Prague delayed as, while parked overnight at a German B&B, some creature ate all of his ignition leads! I think there is something in modern plastics which animals/rodents find rather tasty.
Foxes eating my car !!! - gmac
It's the smell of the plastics and rubber which attracts them. Ignition leads as you say are usually first on the menu followed by brake lines and suspension rubbers.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Bagpuss
Colleague had a holiday to Prague delayed as while parked overnight at a German B&B
some creature ate all of his ignition leads!

Probably a pine marten. This can be a problem in parts of rural Germany as they can do quite a bit of damage. The behaviour is apparently something to with them fighting over territory.

I would suggest getting a cat as a remedy but our cat runs a mile at the site of anything bigger than a squirrel.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Cliff Pope
>>Get an air rifle >>

Do some target practice first if you value your car.
Foxes eating my car !!! - bell boy
see if jasper carrot will sell you his twelve bore
"what you doing carrot"?
that was moles though
Thank you for all your responses.

I'm glad I didn't get a flood of "Always happening. It will be the fuel pipe next." replies ....but then AS spoiled things!

I'm leaning towards putting my money where Lud's is and blaming the squirrels but my military skills aren't up to sniper level and a shotgun will probably do more harm than good to the car.

I had a closer look today and can't find any more damage save for lots of muddy smears along the sills and lower doors on both sides. Maybe unrelated to the other damage and only vulpine frottage!!

I'll just have to hope it doesn't happen again.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Paul G1pdc
You can always buy a toy from Argos or any DIY shop.
you can buy home security cameras for about £70 that plug into the video etc. with IR detectors fitted...
so when your fox/rat etc, wakes up for his lunch it'll turn the video onto record and at least you'll have an idea of the problem...
Paul....
Foxes eating my car !!! - ohsoslow
Some time ago I had mice eat bits of my car while it was in my garage. They seemed attracted to the sponge type sleeves (sorbo?) around cables, wires and pipes to prevent rattling and / or abrasion. Fortunately that was all they were interested in.

There were also signs that they had considered setting up a nest on a small 'shelf' on the engine bulkhead but they must have given up on this as I later found a nest at the back of the garage.

At first I put traps down and caught 6 of the wee beasties, but now I have one of those ultra sonic things which seems to be working.
Ooops! Sorry Dynamic Dave. I appear to have fallen foul of the forum's no naming and shaming policy.

I'll go and get some more evidence and then maybe I can have my original thread title back.

{you weren't sure what was eating your car, and others have suggested it wasn't foxes, hence the title edit}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/06/2009 at 20:01

Foxes eating my car !!! - teabelly
Hot chilli sauce on the rubber they like??? Not sure what it'll do to the rubber but I am sure whatever miscreant has been nibbling would be put off with a taste of it...
Foxes eating my car !!! - bathtub tom
>>Get an air rifle,you can eat them(squirrels,not air rifles),

WARNING, MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF NUTS!
WARNING MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF NUTS!

And plastic.
Foxes eating my car !!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Not Guilty!! "Always happening. It will be the fuel pipe next." replies ....but then AS spoiled things!"

I just mentioned that someone I know had had plastic bits of his car eaten.
Foxes eating my car !!! - DP
A few years ago now, I visited the offices of a major German electronics company just outside London for a business meeting. Upon parking my car in the visitors parking area, a security guard came running over to me, gesticulating wildly. He explained that the car park had been playing host to a large crow which had a fetish for windscreen wiper rubbers. It would land on the car, pull the rubber from the arm, and fly off with it. They'd had dozens of incidents in the past week, and I should be aware of it before leaving my car.

I took this with a large pinch of salt, but thanked the guard for the warning, and explained it was a company car, I was on company business, and really I wasn't unduly worried. I locked the car and went inside.

After the meeting, I mentioned it to one of the directors I'd been meeting, who confirmed the story as true. He then took me to the staff noticeboard where a warning note had been placed. A rogue crow was effectively terrorising the car park of this company. Incredible!

My Focus had both wipers intact when I returned to it, which was slightly disappointing in a way. Then I thought about trying to explain that to our fleet manager. "Well, you won't believe this, but...."

Edited by DP on 10/06/2009 at 09:39

Try Longleat for more comprehensive car dismantling.
Foxes eating my car !!! - piggy
There is a spray available from vets and pet supply stores which leaves a bitter taste on anything it`s applied to. It`s used to stop puppies chewing things they should not.
Might be worth a try,and will not be expensive.
Foxes eating my car !!! - nick
It's called Bitter Apple.