Computer Related Questions-Volume 186 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 187 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 186. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/06/2009 at 19:58

Using skype on an 0845 number - Stuartli
Some of the problems people have with Skype is because they fail to follow the Sound Setup advice - it is rather different to what might normally be expected. See:

www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup.html

In particular the Mike muting usually comes as a surprise...:-)
Connecting a Printer Wirelessly - drbe
I wish to connect a Kodak ESP-3 printer to my laptop.

I am now using a wireless router - Netgear DG834PN. Is the solution similar to this query below?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=75069&...e

If so, it looks as though I am going to need a new lead. Are there any other hurdles for me to look out for?

Old hands on CRQ may recall that I am - well, what is the opposite of geek? So. simple answers please!

Edited by drbe on 11/06/2009 at 10:11

Connecting a Printer Wirelessly - Rattle
It is not a wireless printer so you're going to have to connect via a USB cable. You can buy wireless print servers but they are not cheap (around £50) the cheapest and crudest way of doing it is to attach it to a main computer and then share it under windows. Providing the other machines which connect to the router are in the same workgroup you can then print that way. I do this myself and it is actually extremely reliable. Got four computers in the house, two printers connected to the downstairs PC and they are all networked to use those two printers. The only downside the computer the printer is attached to has to be turned on.
Simple question re I.E.8 - 007
I'm sorry to be so thick but having recently installed IE8, I cannot see how to add a site to Favorites.

IIRC with IE7 one clicked on the right hand star in the Favorites box and selected one's needs from the drop-down box. The second star now showing with a green arrow in it does not achieve anything for me!

TIA

Simple question re I.E.8 - ifithelps
Click on the favourites gold star.

That should open a drop down menu.

At the top of said menu is an 'add to favorites' button.
Simple question re I.E.8 - scouseford
I don't use IE8 although I do have it installed. On my version the top item on the drop down list when you press the 'Favourites' button is 'Add to Favourites'. Maybe you have a different version.
Simple question re I.E.8 - 007

Many thanks!
Newsgroups - How to find for Free - eProf
I have recently moved to O2 (BE) broadband but they don't support a newsgroup/NNTP server.

I have done the Google route and nothing of any sense comes up so I thought I should consult the source of all wisdom - this forum!

Any ideas?

Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - Chris S
Does anyone know how to get rid of the Favorites bar on IE8 (ie, the whole thing including the star) I've only got a small screen and need to save space
Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - Pugugly
Dump it and download Firefox.
Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - jbif
Dump it and download Firefox. >>

Have you tried IE8?

Anyway, Stuartli has the right answer below - use the F11 key.

Edited by jbif on 13/06/2009 at 13:38

Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - Pugugly
No.
Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - Stuartli
I've only got a small screen and need to save space>>

While I would agree with the Firefox suggestion (I use it for at least 98 per cent of browsing), you can use F11 to toggle between the normal IE8 screen and a screen free of the Toolbar and Taskbar.

One point about Firefox is that one of the many add-ons is IEView, which allows you to switch between Firefox and the IE browser engine. See:

ieview.mozdev.org/

Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - jbif
Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 >>
can use F11 >>

or try
www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2814/ie8_hide_favorites_ba.../

Removing the Favorites bar - IE8 - malteser
Slightly off topic - but if you value your privacy don't use Google Chrome browser.
It's quick and competent, but Google [ :-) ] Chrome + privacy and you will see that there is lively discussion about the information which Chrome sends to Google, both from URLs & search strings, typed into the combined address/search bar, EVEN if you don't press "Enter" to send the query.
You will also get the Google updater, which 'phones home, without your consent.
Avoid.
Music and birdsong - video flash talking - oilrag
This very quiet Eee Pc (totally silent) has just started playing background birdsong and music (still doing it) while posting the last post and clicking on nothing. `video flash talking`seemed to be transferring data.

Is it an enhancement that this loads itself?

No way to end it - looks like I have to shut down... I`m not complaining by the way.

Regards
By all means delete this thread mod`s - just wondered if it was a common experience.
Music and birdsong - video flash talking - Bagpuss
The EEE pc is quite notorious for adding bizarre updates and program enhancements when it feels like it. This, together with its ability to lose, rearrange or add icons to the desktop for no apparent reason, makes it almost seem like it has a personality. My wife really likes her's. It's a 901 with Linux (Xandros), none of that Windows rubbish and is brilliant as a take (almost) anywhere Netsurfing/ Document Writing tool.
Music and birdsong - video flash talking - ifithelps
.. and is brilliant as a take (almost) anywhere Netsurfing/ Document Writing tool...

Agreed.

I've not had any bother with my 701, which I think is the same model as oilrag's.

It is! - I think I clicked on something it was not an update. I`m addicted to it now and use it exclusively..

(sorry PU - Forgot I posted this thread)
Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - claybar
I have a compaq SR1909UK pc (around 3 years old). In the past week when i turn the machine on nothing happens - the PSU is whirring round but no display on monitor and no HD sounds.

If i turn off then turn back on all is well - this happens everytime.
I have not done anything to the machine (i.e. no hardware upgrade etc).
Any ideas?
thanks
Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - rtj70
The easy answer if you value time:

- Buy a new one
- Copy over the old files

I could be a sign of bigger problems.

The PSU does not whir away (the fan in it might) but just as likely the fan on the CPU.
Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - TimOrridge
We get this at work with older PC's. Try unplugging (if you're brave enough) and reseating all power leads from PSU to mainboard (should be a wide narrow plug and a 4 pin square plug) and maybe give every thing a light dusting with hoover nozzle. This sometimes makes a difference. Failing that it sounds like the PSU is a duffer, budget for around £30 for a replacement.

*EDIT* I should say try the above with the PC UNPLUGGED from the mains!

Edited by TimOrridge on 15/06/2009 at 23:48

Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - Rattle
A year old Compaq should have a decent PSU or at least a safe one. I've seen some PSUs which have been dangerious. You can also check the voltage with a multimeter of the PSU you want to connect the postitive probe to yellow for the 12v reading and red for the 5v reading. If its under those voltages your PSU is not delivering enough voltage.

Bizzarely enough I once fixed this issue simply be resetting the BIOS by using the CMOS jumper but with this sort of thing I always have spare PSUs it takes seconds to change so its easier than a lot of messing about but if you don't have a spare its not that easy. I would start by stripping the system down to just the processor, RAM and motherboard and see if it still does it etc.

I think Dynamic Dave has touched on this but don't buy a cheap PSU, they are nasty and usualy do blow up at some point, if its a basic system I always buy FSPs, they are expensive around £30 but they are pretty much silent and never had any come back on any of them. I won't ever touch a cheap PSU because a bad PSU could in extreme circumstances burn your house down.
Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - Stuartli
>>they are expensive around £30>

That's cheap for a PSU and pretty basic at that...:-)

A good one will cost much more.
Not really considering I can buy one from any computer shop for £7. £30 is quite a bit more. 99% of the PCs I repair are standard basic things so an FSP 350w is more than good enough. I have £70 Enermax in mine but my PC is not standard at all.
I'm glad you don't get too near my computer system...:-)))

Apart from the fact that it completely contradicts your comment a bit earlier, which reads:

"... but don't buy a cheap PSU, they are nasty and usually do blow up at some point"

Edited by Stuartli on 16/06/2009 at 01:26

I was talking about the cheap £5 ones. A £30 FSP is fine, this is not PCWORLD £30 either. FSP is one of the largest power supply manufacturers in the world. Why would I put a £50 Enermax into a Celeron system with 512MB RAM and built in graphics?

I consider even a £30 FSP is over engineered for the systems I end up putting them in but I stick with what I know.

I've bought a few Antec power supplies as well, they are more basic but are well made and trust them. My customer base don't care about computers they just want it to work, if their PSU blows they trust me to fit a good quality unit but also not rip them off.

I realise you can spend over £100 on a power supply but its over the top if the computer is just used as a word processor and internet browser which most computers are.

Edited by Rattle on 16/06/2009 at 01:33

Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - Dynamic Dave
I think Dynamic Dave has touched on this

Not me.
*EDIT* I should say try the above with the PC UNPLUGGED from the mains!

Whenever I open up the tin box, I leave it plugged in the mains, BUT switched off. That way the tin box is still earthed (to reduce any static electricity damaging the components) and it also gives you somewhere to connect your wrist earth strap to.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/06/2009 at 01:54

I was meaning the suggestion that PSUs start at £30 :).

The mains thing only works with desktops though as laptops are not earthed. I remember in the old AT machines I used to sometimes leave it plugged in due to lazy ness and I would get a few shocks as the assembler had never bothered to attach the earth strap to the chasis.

I just laugh at some PCs now, I know this is getting off topic a little bit buts its frightening how many systems I come across with a cheap £5 computer market special power supply and and no Windows COA to be found just a dodgy copy of Windows XP Pro. If they need any serious work I usualy suggest its best to scrap them.
Compaq PC only turns on 2nd time - TimOrridge
>>
I just laugh at some PCs now I know this is getting off topic a
little bit buts its frightening how many systems I come across with a cheap £5
computer market special power supply and and no Windows COA to be found just a
dodgy copy of Windows XP Pro. If they need any serious work I usualy suggest
its best to scrap them.

That sounds like the sort of PC's I used to build to keep me in beer money at whilst at college!

Edited by TimOrridge on 16/06/2009 at 08:00

Intel has long featured its specifications for PSUs, motherboards and other aspects of computing, which are featured on its website; they are intended to harmonise the integration of various components etc produced by manufacturers to meet Intel's minimum performance standards.

One example for PSUs, for instance, can be found at:

tinyurl.com/mf49t3

You can also find out more about the various specifications at FormFactors:

www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp
Rogue Dialogue Box - scouseford
I receive, at random intervals and usually at least once a day a small dialogue box on my desktop that carries the following message:

'RUNDLL Error loading C:\Programme Files\Common Files\ParetoLogic\UU52\UUS. dll. The specified module could not be found.'

Can any of the backroom IT experts advise what it might mean and, even better, advise how I might get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, the appearance of the box is accompanied by a dull 'thud' sound via the speakers.

I have a Dell desktop running Windows XP Home with Service Packs 1, 2, and 3.
Rogue Dialogue Box - Stuartli
See:

forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/...l

almost at the very end.

Edited by Stuartli on 17/06/2009 at 21:59

Stuart

Got onto the link and found, via the Task Manager on my system, that the errant link was running. I have zapped it and hope that I will not be troubled with it again.

My admiration for those of you who are able to identify and diagnose our problems is boundless. Mind you, if the errant box reappears I'll be back!!

Many thanks for your prompt response.
Rogue Dialogue Box - rtj70
I have zapped it and hope that I will not be troubled with it again.

It will probably and almost certainly be back the next time you reboot. It might not - but I don't bet.

What anti-virus and anti-spyware etc do you run on this computer?

Edited by rtj70 on 18/06/2009 at 00:19

>>It will probably and almost certainly be back the next time you reboot. It might not - but I don't bet.>>

Let's hope it doesn't.

However, this was the only reference I could find on the subject, which is very rare indeed...:-)
Rogue Dialogue Box - jbif
However, this was the only reference I could find on the subject, which is very rare indeed...:-) >>

A number of links can be found using
www.bing.com/search?q=ParetoLogic+UU52+UUS.+dll&mk...B

This was an issue in 2008:
www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows...l

that seems to have returned in 2009:

www.smartcomputing.com/QABoard/QAMain.aspx?search=...=

www.smartcomputing.com/QABoard/QAMain.aspx?search=...=

www.justanswer.com/questions/230tk-c-programfiles-...s

forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=156021

best solution: www.justanswer.com/questions/230tk-c-programfiles-...s

In reply to rtj70 I use AVG Free anti virus, I do an AdAware scan about once a fortnight and a Ccleaner sweep about once a month.

To jbif I have followed the 'best solution' route. There were two references to 'ParetoLogic' which I have deleted so fingers crossed!

Many thanks, guys. Your help is much appreciated.
jbif

I tried Bing a few days ago - it proved pretty useless. Google beat it hands down on a number of tests..:-(

As someone who has used reference facilities for many, many years, I'm usually quite good at finding out information and Google has always proved outstanding in this respect.

Well done..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 18/06/2009 at 11:37

Rogue Dialogue Box - malteser
Try "Scroogle" it's scrapes Google results and presents them without all the ads and sponsored results!
Rogue Dialogue Box - pmh2
Make sure you use scroogle.org NOT scroogle.com
if in the presence of your boss/kids/MIL..............

p
Delighted to report that I didn't get my 6.00pm visit from the RDB last night. It looks as though your various remedies have worked. I can now get on with my life!!
Problem downloading a clock! - 007
I would like to download the smaller of the two clocks featured here: www.calvin500.com/fun/birthday-countdown/

However, when I copy and paste the words in the box to the right of the small clock, all I get is the wording...not the clock.

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

TIA
Problem downloading a clock! - rtj70
What do you intend doing with the clock? I assume you're hoping to have it on your website?
Problem downloading a clock! - tyro
007, I may be wrong, but I suspect that you are getting what everyone else is getting.
Problem downloading a clock! - rtj70
What we had not asked is whether he was trying to do this on anything but a PC running Windows.

If he was doing this on an Apple Mac then using the clock on the dashboard would have been very simple by opening that webpage in Safari and then:

- File Menu - Open in Dashboard
- Select an area around the version of clock that you want on your dashboard
- Click the Add button
- Position the clock where you want it
- Done

That's it, done. Maybe this works like this in Vista but I don't have Vista on my machine to try this.

Once done you can bring up the dashboard and the clock will be there... it takes a couple of seconds to update though.

P.S. Sort of a cheat... you can resize the widget to be any part of the original web page ;-) Can even do it with HJ's site.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/06/2009 at 23:59

new fishing (phishing) scam - bell boy
just to advise ive just opened my emails to view and theres a new approach to fishing your bank details that might catch some unaware

this one says and i quote "cahoot is a division of abbey bank"
the sting is in the title again quote "new compensation limits to cover savers"

this email like all the other scam ones i have had this last 2 months all stem from asking for a car part via a parts locater website,thankfully i use a different email address for different things so i know its a scammeruny straight away

message ends..........
new fishing (phishing) scam - rtj70
I have not asked for car parts but got that Spam email earlier. If you banked with Cahoot and were gullible you might have reacted.
new fishing (phishing) scam - Old Navy
Me too, instantly deleted!
new fishing (phishing) scam - jbif
this one says and i quote "cahoot is a division of abbey bank"

the sting is in the title again quote "new compensation limits to cover savers" >>

Why does that make it a phishing scam?

The real cahoot website has the same/similar wording:

www.cahoot.com/fscs.htm

new fishing (phishing) scam - gmac
Hover over the link in the mail redirects to:
lamarsegofamily.com

Can't see Santander using this URL somehow. I reported this to Santander group this morning.
new fishing (phishing) scam - Rattle
There is a very convincing inland revenue one doing the rounds atm. If you get an email pretending to be from them and saying you are due a tax refund ignore it. The phising site is good because all the links on it all take you to the genuine site and they have made clever uses of the domain name to trick to the user into thinking it is a genuine government site. It took me a few minutes to try and work out how they coded the scam.
new fishing (phishing) scam - Stuartli
>>The real cahoot website has the same/similar wording:>>

The real Cahoot website is www.cahoot.co.uk - that's the one I use...:-)

The only reference to the parent bank is "Santander, World's Best Bank".

Apparently there are also some phishing e-mails going around purporting to come from Virgin about e-mail web mail space and requesting you send your Username and Password by e-mail to confirm them.

So obvious, yet some people still fall for such scams.

Edited by Stuartli on 20/06/2009 at 01:23

The real Cahoot website is www.cahoot.co.uk >>

That is just another name registered for www.cahoot.com ;-)

>>That is just another name registered for www.cahoot.com ;-)>>

You are right - it seemingly brings the same result.

However, I've been using co.uk for many years, so was not aware of the .com (more often than not US sites), nor have I seen it listed as being available...:-)

As a point of interest, if you typed in google.com it would automatically switch to google.co.uk which, I imagine, is to ensure that the right advertising feeds are received....

new fishing (phishing) scam - gmac
As a point of interest if you typed in google.com it would automatically switch to
google.co.uk which I imagine is to ensure that the right advertising feeds are received....

It depends how clever the developer(s) has been. Some may be lazy and do that, others will check the home location/language of your access point to the web and adjust the language accordingly.

At work my connection point to t'internet is in the Netherlands so sometimes get adverts in Dutch.
I've been using co.uk for many years, so was not aware of the .com >>

If you look at the whois registration entries and compare them, eg,
whois.domaintools.com/cahoot.com
whois.domaintools.com/cahoot.co.uk
you will find that .com was registered [1999-09-03] one week before .co.uk [1999-09-10].

Also, if you click on the "log in" button on either of those domains, you get taken to a secure cahoot.com site:
ibank.cahoot.com/servlet/com.aquarius.security.aut...t

Edited by jbif on 20/06/2009 at 17:42

I'm obviously very familiar with the Log In button - the point I was making was that the co.uk link was the one originally provided to me by Cahoot quite some time ago.

As I stated, the workings of both URLs seem to provide the same functions.

Could be a case of Better the Devil you know...:-)
new fishing (phishing) scam - bell boy
Could be a case of Better the Devil you know...:-)
mmmmm kylie
new fishing (phishing) scam - billy25
I've just had a very convincing one from Pay-Pal asking me to update my account details! if i didn't, it stated my account would be flagged with restrictions, so..... i (unwittingly at the time) clicked the "update" link which took me to a very convincing Pay-Pal page, with all the relevent boxes for you to fill in your card details, halfway down the page i came to a "required" field that asked for the ATM PIN!!!! needless to say i deleted the lot, and emailed Pay-Pal, not heard anything back from them as yet!
>>'ve just had a very convincing one from Pay-Pal...>>

But that's the whole point of phishing e-mails....:-))

Absolutely no genuine financial institution will ask you, via e-mail, for account details, username, password etc - the only need for such details is via a secure website when on-line banking, buying goods on the Internet and similar requirements.

Edited by Stuartli on 25/06/2009 at 16:26

Deletion of Files/Documents - scouseford
I am fairly illiterate in matters concerning personal computers, as many of you might realise from earlier queries that I have raised over the past year or so. I would welcome advice from those of you who know about these things concerning the deletion of documents.

My understanding is that, if you save a file or a document, and then subsequently delete it, the file/document is not actually deleted but copied to somewhere in the bowels of the PC system and is, therefore, capable of being retrieved by anybody who is suitably competent. My query concerns the situation where you might compose a letter or, say, an email to the Back Room but decide before sending said document that what you have written is rubbish and you either block delete what you have written or just back-space everything out. In those circumstances is what you have typed out and deleted capable of being retrieved?

On a similar subject is it possible to properly delete browsing history. I know that under the 'Tools' heading there is a facility to 'Clear Private Data' but does this really clear your browsing history?

I realise that this post sounds as though it is from a dirty old man trying to cover his tracks but I assure one and all that it isn't.
Deletion of Files/Documents - oilrag
Before I dump an old PC I use some software to wipe and re-write the Hard Drive and then take it out and beat it with a 5lb hammer.

(I buy a lot of stuff off Amazon + lots of travel airticket purchases - and have concerns that somewhere on the disc is recoverable passwords.)

Did this recently there`s no way I would let an old computer (hard drive) go into the unknown - even with Guttman level re-writes.
Deletion of Files/Documents - JH
s
quite a few questions to address there. Starting with the easy one, IE8 (and probably other browsers) offers a mode which does not record where you've been. Known as "porn mode" unoficially or inprivate browsing otherwise. CCLEANER is a must too, just type CCLEANER into Google to find it, download & install. Take care to set it up or you'll be back asking why you have to login to this site every time.

Otherwise if you delete a file, it goes into the waste bin. Nothing is moved. When you empty the recycle bin it's poniter is removed. That's all. The file is still there and can be found by recovery software for a while. After the physical bits are used by another file you might get some of it.

Emails are a bit different, but not wildly so. I had every email I'd sent in 5 years magically re-appear when I transferred to a new pc but then I'd not been cleaning up the file space.

As for typing a document and giving up part way through. Ooh - I'll pass on that one.

JH
Deletion of Files/Documents - oilrag
Browsing history is not really an issue though is it? - as that`s all kept by the ISP anyway. Its what happens if the computer gets stolen or moved on with passwords and documents that can be recovered by a criminal.

A very basic level of protection is given by software that runs in (as an addition to) the operating system but complete disc wipes (look up Guttman) are needed if the computer is moved on - even then, better physical destruction of the disc and a new `Ghosted` replacement - with the operating system as new on a new drive.
Deletion of Files/Documents - Stuartli
>>As for typing a document and giving up part way through. Ooh - I'll pass on that one.>>

Microsoft Word (and probably similar word processors) has an Automatic Save function that can be Enabled or Disabled.

It's meant to allow recovery of a document if any unexpected problems such as an invalid page error, unrecoverable application error or accidental Shutdown occur.
Stuart

I've tried without success to find the Automatic Save function. Could you point me in the right direction?
Deletion of Files/Documents - SpamCan61 {P}
In Word 2003 it's on TOOLS > OPTIONS > SAVE tab.
I've tried without success to find the Automatic Save function. Could you point me in
the right direction?
Many thanks. Found it and done the necessary. And now I'm off to Anglesey for a couple of days of golf.
Sorry, only just fired up the computer as tied up with decorating..:-(

If you do need any further information:

support.microsoft.com/kb/107686
It's pretty easy to recover quite a lot of stuff using freeweare such as Recuva.

The best method is to literally destroy the hard drive, although even this is not necessarily the answer. See:

tinyurl.com/6obkkn

tinyurl.com/6voqk5
HP 2420 Laserjet Driver - claybar
Using Win XP and this printer for a year now and no problems. I reformated hardrive and installed XP and downloaded the HP 2420 driver off HP site. But Windows said it was missing a file, so I used the HP Universal Driver. Now when i print it takes about 2 mins to print a simple word document.

Any ideas? Thanks
HP 2420 Laserjet Driver - Stuartli
Instuctions on how to install the driver can be found at:

www.howtodrivers.com/model8246.html

or www.downloadatoz.com/driver/item_231874.html
Can't Enable Add-ons in IE7 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Having used XP for 2 years w/ IE7, I'm suddenly getting a message that "IE is operating w/o add-ons enabled." When I go to Tools to try to enable them, the Manage Add-ons menu is grayed out and hence inaccessible. What can I do? As a result of this I can't even get microsoft updates as they require an Active x control that I can't get at. I could try IE8 but I did and didn't like it. I would use it if it was the answer!
Can't Enable Add-ons in IE7 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Further to my earlier question, I thought I would try to uninstall IE7 and then re-install it. Can't be done! When I go to Control Panel, add/remove programmes, IE7 is listed but there is no option to do anything with it. It also says last used 21 May but I have been using it every day.
Can't Enable Add-ons in IE7 - rtj70
Sounds like IE is starting up in "safe mode". When in safe mode you can do more with plug-ins in terms of configuration. I don't run IE7 (only IE6) as my other browsers I use are Chrome, Safari and occasionally Firefox.
Lost Internet Explorer - artful dodger {P}
My Mother has a corruption on her computer that was meaning it was not loading Windows XP most of the time. Well I managed to solve that. In the process of removing unwanted files and programs to free up some disk space, I also decided to download the latest version of Windows Explorer. Well something has gone badly wrong.

When now loading Internet Explorer it starts to load and then stops with the screen returning to the desktop. I have tried many things to try and restore things for her but I am not getting the corrupted file corrected. Also the Microsoft update and directory follow the same pattern.

My initial thought was to go back a month and use system restore, but this did not help. This only meant the Kaspersky had to reload and download all the updates again. I thought that if I unloaded IE using the Add/remove program for Windows XP and then reload it, this would solve it, but no. Am I right in thinking I am going to have to reload Windows to correct the fault? The question is can I overlay the Windows XP over the existing copy without loosing any other programs or data. I will automatically backup all her files on a mobile hard drive before I start.

I kick myself that I had not downloaded Firefox as a secondary method of accessing the Internet. Maybe there is a way I can add Firefox to her computer without an Internet browser. Can I download it to a mobile hard drive and then install it from that?

Other relevant information:
Windows XP version 5.1 with service pack 3.
Her current version of Internet Explorer is 7.
She still has full access to the internet and Outlook Express is function correctly.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Lost Internet Explorer - malteser
Start|Run|cmd|Enter.

Type this:-

regsvr32.exe "c:\\program files\\internet explorer\\ieproxy.dll"

Hit Enter & close the cmd window

You may have to reboot.

Edited to insert the \\ characters which were removed by the website. Rob

P.S. If someone else edits this it will remove the \\'s again.

Edited by rtj70 on 24/06/2009 at 18:46

Thank you malteser I will try this.

Will let you know if it works.

Malteser

I am afraid that you code did not solve the IE program disappearing after launching.

Can I overlay Windows XP over an existing copy?

I think this will be the only way to regain internet access for my Mother as IE is an integral part of Windows.

Can any one advise?

Lost Internet Explorer - Dipstick
artful, you said you wished you'd put on Firefox as a backup. Assuming you have access to another machine somewhere, why not download the Firefox install to that (it's just over 7Mb) and then either email it to your mother's machine or put it on a USB stick and take it there physically?

Lost Internet Explorer - bell boy
i do that sometimes when going from linux to microsoft so its a very good suggestion
Dipstick

I was not too sure whether downloading Firefox would work by loading on to a mobile hard drive and then copying on to my Mother's machine. I will give it a try and will advise if it has worked.

I expect once Firefox is installed I could then download Internet Explorer 8. This would give her two methods of accessing the Internet.

Lost Internet Explorer - Dipstick
Should be fine - right click (as opposed to left click) the "download now" icon at the Firefox website, and "save link" to the external drive.

Copy the resulting 7Mb file from that drive to your nadged pc, then double click it once it's there.

Sorry if that sounded patronising, just clarifying.
Lost Internet Explorer - Stuartli
I use Firefox for 98 per cent of surfing although I have IE8 installed and regularly updated.

I don't need to open IE8 direct as I have a Firefox Extension - IEView - which allows you to use IE as and when required. See:

ieview.mozdev.org/
Lost Internet Explorer - malteser
Thanks, Rob. So that's why I spent ages trying to post this!
Lost Internet Explorer - rtj70
In computer terms the \\ character is known as a quote. So to post it here you need to quote the quote with two of them, i.e. \\\\. But once posted there is only one of the \\ in the new post and if edited and reposted will vanish. I hope that makes sense. Obviously I have typed double the number of the \\ characters to get them to appear.
Lost Internet Explorer - ifithelps
A good example of WYSIWYDG - what you see is what you don't get.

We've got software like that at work.

Are there any drawbacks to IE 8? - L'escargot
I've held off from installing IE 8 until its reputation gets an airing. Is it OK? How does it differ from IE 7?
Are there any drawbacks to IE 8? - Chris S
Stick with IE7 - and don't upgrade your MSN Messenger whatever you do. You won't be able to get on to MSN afterwards.

You won't be able to get rid of the Favorites bar either, just the text on it so you lose space at the top of the screen.

Microsoft are incompotent.

Edited by Chris S on 25/06/2009 at 14:00

Are there any drawbacks to IE 8? - JH
Well I'm using IE8 and it's fine. Broadly indistinguishable from IE7! That said, I don't use MSN Messenger.
JH
Are there any drawbacks to IE 8? - Dynamic Dave
Have held off installing it until IE7Pro is fully compatable with IE8.
new linux mint out - bell boy
just in case anyone is interested there is now a new linux out that is compatable with the latest 64 bit something mothering boards

message ends...............
new linux mint out - rtj70
There have been 64-bit Linux distributions for x64 AMD/Intel processors for years. Message ends :-)
New home computer suggestions - bathtub tom
I'm retiring, so I've got to get myself a home computer. I won't be doing anything special or gaming, just mailing, browsing and home photo's.

I've space for a PC and understand they're better for updating etc. than laptops. I've been warned off Dell and don't want to start learning Apple.

I've found this, any comments?

tinyurl.com/nsyakk

ps. Where's the tiny URL link gone?

Edited by bathtub tom on 25/06/2009 at 15:49

New home computer suggestions - bell boy
frightening how cheap these are now
i bought my computer from the local auction of companies gone bust,there were literally 200 computers for sale some with operating systems some without,i paid £35 for the tower and bought a s/h flat screen off a local colledge via ebay for £20,he gave me a keyboard i seem to remember and i buy mice at the local computer fair for £3 the ones with the red light in that blind you if you stare at it
linux mint at the fair was £5 for the cd and it recognised my blueyonder as it loaded
i also bought an xp home for £65
New home computer suggestions - maz64
I appreciate you don't need a high spec machine, but having said that, if you're running Vista it's still better to have at least 2Gb, and for storing photos you might want to invest in a bigger drive.

How about a Mesh? They've been around for decades and have always got reasonable press from what I've seen. £400 gets you 4Gb + Vista Premium + 500Gb drive + faster CPU (Elite Inspire):
www.meshcomputers.com/
New home computer suggestions - Stuartli
>>
I've found this, any comments?>>

Nothing special about it, especially the CPU - you could do better.

Can't see why you've been warned off Dell.

Not the cheapest Dell reseller:

www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/New_Items.html

but efficient and reliable.

BigPockets offer plenty of new and refurbished barebones systems at excellent prices and with superior specifications to that of the Packard Bell - just add a monitor in most cases. See:

www.bigpockets.co.uk/cat.php?search=PCs&nav=227

PS

I'd avoid outlets such as the one you mention and their high street clones...:-))

By the way, Tesco.com often has some excellent buys:

tinyurl.com/mc3gvz

Edited by Stuartli on 25/06/2009 at 16:43

New home computer suggestions - Falkirk Bairn
Not requiring the latest/fastest m/c.

I'd go for for trailing edge technology - a model that is no longer current and being sold off as last of its type -

Buy a brand name - HP/IBM(Lenovo)/Dell - there are Dell m/cs that are repaired/graded and cheap! Brand names are engineered and not just a collection of the cheapest bits on the clearance market today!
New home computer suggestions - Rattle
Avoid some local shop offering. I have occasionaly asked been asked to supply home built PCs at stupidly low prices. They say such a such shop can do this for £250, when I do the parts (at trade prices) plus a bit of labour I still get it the bill at at least £50 more than they are quoting. I then ask them what power supply are they supplying and how much are they charging for the windows licence. I then realise the reason its so cheap is the windows is actually a dodgy copy of Pro and the power supply is so subject it probably would not even meet Chineese safety standards.

I am sick of trying to repair these things at 18 months old, no windows licence, no brand PSU, motherboard not properly secured, front USB ports not connected and its not unusual to find they are actually collections of second hand bits!
New home computer suggestions - pmh2
Look at either the Dell Factory shop or some of the Dell resellers eg europc.

You will find properly engineered machines heavily discounted sometimes with 3yr on site mtce.

p