Windows 7 prices announced - Rattle
Wow at £50 I can now bring my motherboard upgrade forward. I need a new motherboard badly as I am using a mini ATX and I need a full size one but I have been too scared to it in case I loose my Vista licence. Now I can order Windows 7 (which I need to have from day one because of my job) and the motherboard.
Windows 7 prices announced - rtj70
But (until the EU back down which is the MS plan) there is no upgrade in Europe from Vista to Windows 7. Everything has to be re-installed from scratch. How good is that.

Might make Rattle a bit of money so good news for him. He'd need to re-install after swapping the motherboard anyway.
Windows 7 prices announced - maz64
He'd need to re-install after swapping the motherboard anyway.

I changed my motherboard recently and only afterward read warnings about having to re-install Windows (although I was running XP Pro rather than Vista).
Windows 7 prices announced - Stuartli
>>.. (although I was running XP Pro rather than Vista). >>

All that was required was an immediate XP Repair after installing the new motherboard - you'd need the installation disk and product key handy during the Repair.

I've had to do it a couple of times with XP Pro and new motherboards over the years.

Although a backup is a good idea, a Repair doesn't cause the loss of programs, applications, configuration, data etc.

Edited by Stuartli on 25/06/2009 at 20:42

>>.. (although I was running XP Pro rather than Vista). >>
All that was required was an immediate XP Repair after installing the new motherboard

No, I didn't do anything. I just booted up with the new motherboard in place and carried on as usual.
Tempting - home PC is currently running XP Pro, which is fine, but don't want it to get left too far behind. I wonder how many of the kids' games will stop working though.
You won't be able to get your hands on it for a while though. So they get your money and sit on it for a bit no doubt.

There was never an easy upgrade for XP to Windows 7. It was always a full install. But now in Europe there's no upgrade for Vista either.
Thinking about what looks like a good offer from Microsoft. If you upgrade to Apple Leopard (Mac OSX 10.5) it's about £69. That's a full copy. Upgrades from free (same with upgrade to Snow Leopard). But here's the real saver... a family pack that covers 5 PCs is £120. If that was Microsoft, upgrading all the PCs at home could be costly.

EDIT: Obviously talking about Macs. Not wanting to get into running Mac OSX on PCs because that is not strictly legal - possible but not legal.

Edited by rtj70 on 25/06/2009 at 22:04

Windows 7 prices announced - jbif
Tempting - home PC is currently running XP Pro, ... I wonder how many of the kids' games will stop working though. >>

Get the free trial while you can:
www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/windows_7_rel.../

>> Tempting - home PC is currently running XP Pro
Get the free trial while you can:
www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/windows_7_rel.../

Hmmm... thanks for that, but after reading all the info:
www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
I think it might be safer to just wait for the full product and take my chances...

It would be more attractive if the RC kept working indefinitely, although obviously I realise why it doesn't.
The RC for Windows 7 will be pretty close to the shipping product - probably identical. This is how it usually works because so much testing has happened already.

So if you have the space to dual boot then you could try it but the problem games will need installing.

But warning if not a little technical... I did this with Vista and decided I wouldn't buy it and it expired. Fine but the dual boot was changed to use the Vista loader. The remove it was easy if you could log into Vista... I couldn't it had expired.... being and IT person I could fix this but it was not a straightforward fix (easy yes but not for someone who doesn't know Windows and how it boots).

I'd install Linux and dual boot to Windows for the games ;-) Or get a Mac if funds permit.
Windows 7 prices announced - jbif
So if you have the space to dual boot then you could try it but the problem games will need installing. >>

I bought a 320GB hard disk for £35 and installed the win7RC on it for test purposes. Loving it.