Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Chas{P}
A friend of mine has lost his keys to his 98 S Rover 600. He now has the red key from the previuos owner but the car will not start ie immobilised still.

Dealer is telling him that he needs a new lock set plus reprogramming at a total cost of £500. Is this right or should the car be usable with the red key??

Not being a Rover expert,(Ford's my game), if someone could enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Charles
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - smokie
I had a defunct spare key with a Rover Sterling. Rover dealers told me £30 for new key + £60 to programme it.

I took a lot of care of my only key after that.

£500 sounds OTT to me, tried another dealer?
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Armitage Shanks{P}
There have been earlier posts along these lines suggesting that locksmiths can help with this sort of problem. I don't mean the high street key cutting and shoe repair boys, although they do a good job at what they do. I mean the locksmiths who will turn out if you are locked out of your house etc. Yellow pages or www.yell.com might be helpful and/or search the archive. Fiats and their lock systems have been the subject of cries for help and big bills in the past!
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Cyd
You should have a security card with the car - it's about the size of a credit card and has various security codes on it. One of them will be the key code - you should be able to order new keys / remotes with this info without having to order a new lockset. It will still need reprogramming though. I seem to recall remotes being about £100 each.

If you haven't got this card Rover should be able to supply the codes from the vin number - the dealer will want to see some evidence of ownership and may charge for the service (about £12 or so I think).
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Armitage Shanks{P}
My Rover 400 remote was about £48 Incl VAT a year ago. Yes you should have the card (see above). A Rover dealer gave me a radio code free of charge too, from the VIN no plus proof that it was my car.
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Chas{P}
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll pass them on

Charles
Rover 600 Transponder Keys - Nick Moore
No - there is no such card for the Rover 600. All you need to get new starter keys for a Rover 600 is the red "learning key" (which, incidentally should never be used to start/open the car or it could invalidate the security codes in the current plips and keys) and the key number which is supplied engraved on a small metal tag that you should have with the learning key.

Changing the locks is absurd if you have the above.

If you are near Cambridgeshire try Crown Garage in Soham (www.crowngarage.co.uk/rover.htm) for an honest and reliable opinion.