Proper attitude to a public highway - ijws15
Here is a quote from another recent post on here . .

"Bikers ride to the limits because we love the adrenalin rush, and a momentary doubt about the basic state of the bike is not what you need to inspire confidence when knee touches floor on a bend!"

Is it really appropriate for anyone to ride or drive to the limit on a public road?

Doesn't this approach show a callous disregard to other road on behalf of the poster when they may be hurt by a slight misjudgment which puts the poster the wrong side of the limit and sliding/spinning into someone else who was minding thier own business?

Surely track days are for getting an adrenaline rush, not the public road.

typo fixed in the subject line....sorry it was going on my wick again !

Edited by Pugugly on 04/06/2009 at 19:09

Proper attitde to a public highway - Rattle
Indeed and a Corsa site I am a member of has actually started banning people if they show of about pushing their cars to the limit on a public road.
Proper attitde to a public highway - smokie
Depends which limit your are talking about - speed limit, bike limit or skill limit.

But I tend to agree.
Proper attitde to a public highway - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, I read that post as well - made me chuckle somewhat. A bit of poetic licence (..and hasn't the cost of those shot up!..) methinks.

What worries me more, is that many drivers seem to be on their personal/skill level limit doing the mundanest of driving tasks. I'd rather have better if (slightly!) faster drivers, than the semi-conscious & disinterested mimsers.

Proper attitde to a public highway - Garethj
At the right time and place there's nothing wrong with it. Although you forfeit the right to winge if you get caught....
Proper attitde to a public highway - turbo11
After the descriptions and photographs I have endured from my mate(paramedic)of the bike carnage on the roads, that attitude does not suprise me. My mate has attended crashed riders with heads inside their chest cavities, a rider who left his genitals in the wreckage of a car he hit head on whilst overtakingand a guy who ended up in the car footwell having come off his hyabusa.
Proper attitde to a public highway - Westpig
if you've got any sense you hold a lot more back on a bike, than you'd need to in a car. You need to cater for: the line of gravel, diesel, leaves, horse doo-doo, poor road repairs, white lines, etc...oh and not forgetting the Smidsy's.

If you ride 10/10th's on a public road on a bike, eventually you're coming to grief
Proper attitde to a public highway - Garethj
if you've got any sense you hold a lot more back on a bike than you'd need to in a car. You need to cater for: the line of gravel diesel leaves horse doo-doo poor road repairs white lines etc...

I agree, but it depends how you define on the limit. To be honest, the limits of bikes is far higher than the talents of their riders, even my old Super Tenere would corner much harder than I (and sports bike riders) thought possible!
Proper attitde to a public highway - oldnotbold
"If you ride 10/10th's on a public road on a bike, eventually you're coming to grief "

I'd say sooner rather than later, instead of eventually.